Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy is it snowing here! We're expecting 12 to 18 inches by tomorrow morning....with wind and drifting a real winter storm. It's not the pretty snow either, but the fast and furious kind, the kind that means business! :w00t:

Stan is older and has a bad back...and the neighbor with the snow blower charges me a ton of $ to help us out. Soooo, guess I know what I'll be doing every hour for the next day or so, now where's that darn shovel....

All I can say is thank goodness for the pups...cause if I had to spend the next few days alone with Stan...i think one of us would end up dead, LOL. :innocent::smilie_tischkante:

I'm also still battling some mice in the pantry (which isn't holding much food anymore :blink:) Caught one last night on one of those sticky pads - how on earth is that humane? you can't get them unstuck!!!! :smilie_tischkante: I need more ideas of how to discourage those little critters from making this their home too :angry:. We also just unloaded our bread box drawer and put everything in a cooler. This is war!!!! ....help.....:blush::prayer:

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Oh Pat - it sounds like the showdown at the LBI Corral. :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley: I don't mean to laugh but all I can do is picture you waving a shovel wildly at Stan. Guess you're not lovin' a post-white Christmas.:blink:
As for the mice, we've battled them for a really long time in Vermont - I think people up here consider them pets after a while. The only thing that worked were the guillotine traps. I think it's more inhumane to have them on the sticky thing struggling and our mice never would walk into a have a heart box trap. The poisons are dangerous around the dogs since we would find the mice would carry the poison from the D-con and put it in our shoes and other places to nest. We waged war because the mouse excrement would trigger my DS's asthma. Check for any little holes anywhere and don't leave any food around.
So make yourself a nice cup of tea, hot cocoa or hot cider, find a good sappy movie on, cuddle with the pups and let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Be safe and be careful. Can't you bribe someone's teen to shovel?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh Pat, we are getting ready for the snow to come our way. Sometimes we have young kids that come around, remember like back in the good ole days, but last year hubby had to do it, I did some with him, but he didn't want me to. But it's too much for him too, at least last year. Pat try not to do too much and be careful.

About the mice, they have to be coming in from the outside....but where???? Hope the little critters find a different place to call home.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Awwh Pat, seems so very busy at your place with heavy snow and all. Does sending a virtual hug help?
Stay safe is the fast and furious snow (gee! Now I am thinking about the movie with that title)
It is funny how the Internet can bring us very close to each other -i actually love it by the way- but the funny part is that one talks SNOW and the other one was in the middle of the sandy desert an hour ago. I am in the road, in my way back to Dubai (w I think we are gonna be home much faster/quicker than the reasonable road travel),but I will send you some pictures of a unique place I've been to for a couple of nights :D
Hugs
Kat

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being kind of a resort area, not alot of people live here year round. Less than half of our block are full time residents and some of them winter in Florida...everyone is older. But if I do find a teen around, you bet I'll hire them!!!

There are more densely populated areas in town, but not within close walking distance.

Oh well, think I'll give Arch a bath - his ears are all greasy from his meds.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Oh the snow..I remember when I was stationed in Virginia, it was the year of the blizzards...every muscle in my back ached from shoveling snow. Well if it makes you feel better it's raining again in Hawaii...As for the mice, eeekkkk had that problem in Virginia too. Forget what we did though, sorry.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Sounds like your neighbour charging you big $$ is helping himself!

I used Bounce dryer sheets in my pantry seems they hate the smell and it's not toxic.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ditto on that, Michelle. My aunt uses them in Florida. They keep away ants, too!

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
I forgot about that.
We use mothballs and napthelene crystals in our old cars and under them and around the openings where they get in,but don't use them in the house,it's poison if inhaled and can make you really sick!

At least Bounce sheets smell nice...to us anyway!

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Pat, you might try craigs list and see if someone is looking for a job or your local paper. I hate to say this but it is going to be in the 70's here. I wish I could send you some :Sunny Smile: to melt the whit stuff
I hate mice I have know idea how to help ya.

I love you

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I moved city so I didn't have to deal with the snow anymore. I feel your pain. :(

I got these mouse traps that worked really well. It does kill them fast. I would prefer not to but I just don't think you can really get rid of them effectively without. The Better Mousetraps I just used a bit of peanut butter in them.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,980 Posts
Pat, you said it well Good Grief!
I love that Charlie Brown philosophy---in the now infamous words of Bill Clinton: "I feel your pain." I don't know how to get rid of mice---we did stun- gun a big rat on our balcony a couple of years ago---even the cat was afraid of him. Speaking of cats. . . do you have a hungry one? That would be my mouse solution---call me old fashion! :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey! I've got Bounce dryer sheets!!! :chili::aktion033: I'm going to put them everywhere in my kitchen!!!! :chili:

Wish me luck!

Oh.....before the roads got too bad, Elaine made the trip here and took her puppies home. :bysmilie::smcry: :( I miss them already.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Hey! I've got Bounce dryer sheets!!! :chili::aktion033: I'm going to put them everywhere in my kitchen!!!! :chili:

Wish me luck!

Oh.....before the roads got too bad, Elaine made the trip here and took her puppies home. :bysmilie::smcry: :( I miss them already.
Make sure the pups cannot get the bounce sheets:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts

Wish me luck!

oh dear Pat, I wish the BEST of luck :grouphug:

awwh I can see why you aren't too excited about having your cute guests leave :( I think I would be the same.
Good thing for their mommy though that she made it in the perfect timing. Hey, I say, it will soon be time for tones of puppy play dates...good to look forward too :chili:
:grouphug:

I returned home few minutes ago and immidiatly resized these so that you can see why I thought ....
It is funny how the Internet can bring us very close to each other -i actually love it by the way- but the funny part is that one talks SNOW and the other one was in the middle of the sandy desert an hour ago.
.....Just when you were talking about *snow* blizzard, we were talking about another sort of blizzard that we were in :w00t: during our stay in a new and unique place
I haven't seen anything like it before (I will share about it in another thread and day, but these few were just quickly resized for you)

My iPhone dropped from my hand while I was snapping a picture, I looked down and saw it so close to drowning/being buried :w00t: if my eyes did not catch it on time, it would have been lost, I am sure!!!

that was a one of a kind experience. thought that the above pictures might make you feel a little better about the snow ;)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
wow... about the mice , i hate them .. we had some n i actually hv not had any in a bit. first thing i did was put dogs food away no more free feeding.. cover the holes n pray lol because those things hv a scent to them n they were driving me crazy .. my allergies act up , grrr i heard about the peppermint oil but hvnt used them . im about to stock up on the bounce dryer sheets asap

and katkoota that looks beautiful ... im glad u noticed ur phone though.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:grouphug:

I returned home few minutes ago and immidiatly resized these so that you can see why I thought ....

.....Just when you were talking about *snow* blizzard, we were talking about another sort of blizzard that we were in :w00t: during our stay in a new and unique place
I haven't seen anything like it before (I will share about it in another thread and day, but these few were just quickly resized for you)

My iPhone dropped from my hand while I was snapping a picture, I looked down and saw it so close to drowning/being buried :w00t: if my eyes did not catch it on time, it would have been lost, I am sure!!!

that was a one of a kind experience. thought that the above pictures might make you feel a little better about the snow ;)
ahhh, sand....reminds me of the beach...and bare feet!!! I'd rather be sinking in the sand than shovelling snow. Were you in the dessert?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Geez Pat! Shame on your neighbor for charging a lot of $$ to help out with his snow blower!! :angry: Too bad you live so far from me or I would send over a few of my young, strapping sons to shovel for you!!!! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts