Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first brought Gigolo home in June at 12 weeks, he quickly discovered "paper"..any kind toilet, tissues, napkins, toweling, magazines and wee wee pads!!!! I realize as you read this that you are identifying with this behavior with your malts and probably other breeds as well!! I know that Gigolo's predecessor, Geronimo, loved to rip tissues as well (never mail, or anything like that). However, I thought I had solved the wee wee pad ripping by purchasing those magnetic holders (great product!) but it appears that he is still attracted to it. I thought about spraying with Bitter Apple but thought that might defeat the purpose to the pads and he wouldn't want to "go" on them! Figured he was bored, so I hired someone who comes to play with him around lunch (don't know how long he stays but at least it is some diversion. He is confined to both the kitchen and den...enough space for a 3.2 lb puppy!!

This Tues. I came home to a den covered in "snow".......apparently he discovered some napkins (the guy who comes to play with him probably brought his lunch and left the napkins behind) and of course it's too late to scold the little devil (Gigolo, not the walker!! HA, HA!) Spent the night not only picking up the papers but dragging out the vacuum to complete the job! Yesterday morning before I left for work I took 2 of his "kongs" and put peanut butter inside to keep him busy, and came home to a shredded magazine (he selected one that he liked from the magazine rack!!) These little guys are amazing.....he could be shredding the paper from my computer printer (which is on the ground) but he doesn't touch that, or wires from the TV, Computer etc...thank goodness he doesn't go after that, but this paper business, especially the insides of the wee wee pads is driving me nuts!!.......Any suggestions??..He is 7 mos old now...(what he would probably love is another playmate!!)
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Haha! Lexi does this. She can find paper anywhere. She pulls paper out of my person, pockets, etc. She will somehow "know" there is a piece of paper behind the end table.
She is so funny because when she finds it she knows she shouldn't have it so she will take off running down the hallway. She is so proud of herself for finding it. The little $hit has discovered that she can walk from the sofa onto the end table. She loves going up there to get the plastic bags I use to pick up poop. I find pieces of plastic everywhere. I am trying to teach her not to go up on the end table. So far not going well.

Does anyone else dog play with the paper? Lexi will get a small piece of paper and toss it a few inches in front of her and stare at it. I sware to god it is like she is waiting for the thing to get up or something. Very funny to watch! After 20 seconds or so she will pounce on it and start the game all over again. She does this for 5-10 minutes of so and then it is time to play fetch with the paper. It doesn't matter the size of the paper. She brings my teeny tiny pieces and full size pieces. She loves to play fetch with them.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Milo LOVES paper, I swear he can hear it from anywhere in the apartment. So I have noticed now that Milo gets a kick of finding paper Tini has jumped on the old bandwagon and has been 'stalking' arond the apartment for paper. The other night they found paper attacted to the bottom of the couch.... it took them about 35 mintes before they realized it was attached and not coming off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Oct 7 2004, 11:01 AM
Haha! Lexi does this.  She can find paper anywhere.  She pulls paper out of my person, pockets, etc.  She will somehow "know" there is a piece of paper behind the end table. 
  She is so funny because when she finds it she knows she shouldn't have it so she will take off running down the hallway.  She is so proud of herself for finding it.  The little $hit has discovered that she can walk from the sofa onto the end table.  She loves going up there to get the plastic bags I use to pick up poop.  I find pieces of plastic everywhere.  I am trying to teach her not to go up on the end table.  So far not going well. 

Does anyone else dog play with the paper?  Lexi will get a small piece of paper and toss it a few inches in front of her and stare at it.  I sware to god it is like she is waiting for the thing to get up or something.  Very funny to watch!  After 20 seconds or so she will pounce on it and start the game all over again.  She does this for 5-10 minutes of so and then it is time to play fetch with the paper.  It doesn't matter the size of the paper.  She brings my teeny tiny pieces and full size pieces.  She loves to play fetch with them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11421
[/QUOTE]

How funny.....Gigolo also plays with the tiny pieces that he chews on and then flings around, pounces on and flings again!! And of course he does the same thing when he finds some paper, or my shoe, a sock..whatever,,he picks it up in his mouth(sometimes bigger than he is) carrying it proudly into the other room...a treasure!! My favorite is when he retrieves a shoe/sandal from my closet and doesn't realize it's size and inevitably crashes into the wall or a closet but never drops it!! He is too funny and I don't want to laugh because of course they are smart enough to get the feedback and do it again...Hard to be mad when they are so cute!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Gigolo's Mom@Oct 7 2004, 12:18 PM
He is too funny and I don't want to laugh because of course they are smart enough to get the feedback and do it again...Hard to be mad when they are so cute!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11436
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean! I'm trying to get Lexi to sleep in bed with me. Normally after 2-3 hours I have to put her in her crate because she won't sleep. Last night she decided there was no way in heck she was going to sleep. I finally covered up my face with one of my arms and tried to go to sleep. She kept coming up and sticking her nose under my arm. It was so cute, but kind of annoying. I want to laugh but knew if I did she would do it again and again. So I tried to lay there hoping she would lay down and go to sleep nope. By 2:30 I was getting mad but she was so happy when I "woke up" it was hard to be mad at her. I put her in her crate and she was asleep within a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Caesar does this too! He will shred anything paper, and we take it away each time and tell him NO, but it doesnt matter next time he sees paper, napkins, laundry dryer sheets, toilet paper etc. he will grab it run with it and then shred it to pieces. We kind of had problems with the potty pads too, now we use real human hospital puddle pads. A nurse gave me 4 of them and I just wash them with detergent and bleach when they need it. One or 2 is getting kind of worn out on the back (the front is cloth and the back-the part that goes on the carpet, is some kind of material that doesnt let water leak through. I wanna see where I can buy more of these when these do wear out. My husband suggested Ebay, not sure about that though. The nurse that gave them to me said she uses them on her dogs all the time, and they do work great. He doesn't tear those up at all or even try to since they aren't paper.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy is crazy about paper.. especially toilet paper! Last night while we were out Tuffy somehow managed to climb up onto our high bathroom counter and got down a full roll of toilet paper and ripped it completely up. The whole hallway was covered in toilet paper! I just had to laugh because it was so ridiculous.. plus we are still stumped by how he got up on the counter.. anything for toilet paper I guess! :lol:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Oct 7 2004, 07:16 PM
Tuffy is crazy about paper.. especially toilet paper!  Last night while we were out Tuffy somehow managed to climb up onto our high bathroom counter and got down a full roll of toilet paper and ripped it completely up.  The whole hallway was covered in toilet paper!  I just had to laugh because it was so ridiculous.. plus we are still stumped by how he got up on the counter.. anything for toilet paper I guess!  :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11451
[/QUOTE]

Lol that is too funny! Very very cute, what a lil' turkey!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Oct 7 2004, 07:31 PM
Caesar does this too!  He will shred anything paper, and we take it away each time and tell him NO, but it doesnt matter next time he sees paper, napkins, laundry dryer sheets, toilet paper etc. he will grab it run with it and then shred it to pieces.  We kind of had problems with the potty pads too, now we use real human hospital puddle pads.  A nurse gave me 4 of them and I just wash them with detergent and bleach when they need it.  One or 2 is getting kind of worn out on the back (the front is cloth and the back-the part that goes on the carpet, is some kind of material that doesnt let water leak through.  I wanna see where I can buy more of these when these do wear out.  My husband suggested Ebay, not sure about that though.  The nurse that gave them to me said she uses them on her dogs all the time, and they do work great.  He doesn't tear those up at all or even try to since they aren't paper.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11445
[/QUOTE]

I think what you may be referring to is something called "Pooch Pads". When I knew I was getting Gigolo, I bought a package and they are washable, come in different sizes. Go to JB Wholesale Pet supplies (both on line and catalog) www.jbpet.com and look for the Pooch Pads Product Code-624-0100. Hope that this helps!
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Yes i have seen the ones that u can wash and they say they can be washed up to 300 some times. I was using the disposable ones, but when I did a clinical with a home health nurse quite a few months ago, we were talking aobut our dogs (she breeds huskys) anyway, I said i use those disposable pads for Caesar. SHe told me she uses hospital pads from the facility and gave me 4 of them. But I dont know where u can buy those or how much they even are, the hospital ones I mean. I have seen the puppy ones that u wash at petsmart. Thanks for the info though, I will definantely use it when these wear out more. :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
We weren't able to use puppy pads for the same reason....

Tiki's favorite toy is paper! You can't put your napkin on your lap because if he sees it he will dart under the table and snatch it before you even know what happened. We now have to use cloth napkins when anyone joins us for dinner. He even go to my wallet and pulled out some money to enjoy.... luckily he doesn't actualy eat it and we taped it together and took it to the bank for replacement.

Judi

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by TikisMom@Oct 8 2004, 10:39 AM
We weren't able to use puppy pads for the same reason....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11498
[/QUOTE]

I bought some puppy pads thinking I would train her to use them this winter. I put the first one down and she had the thing shreaded in 30 seconds.
I'm glad I bought the cheap pads! I gave up after the first time.

Originally posted by TikisMom@Oct 8 2004, 10:39 AM
Tiki's favorite toy is paper!  You can't put your napkin on your lap because if he sees it he will dart under the table and snatch it before you even know what happened.  We now have to use cloth napkins when anyone joins us for dinner.  He even go to my wallet and pulled out some money to enjoy.... luckily he doesn't actualy eat it and we taped it together and took it to the bank for replacement.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11498
[/QUOTE]

Lexi like to steal my dish towels. Especially if they have anything good (aka food) on them. She tries to like the food or whatever off of it. :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella@Oct 8 2004, 09:04 AM
If I would stick Bella in a tub full of paper, she would be the happiest puppy in the whole world.  She rather play with paper (any kind) than her toys.  Every time she gets a hold of a piece of paper she will run like crazy so I won't take it away from her.  It's too cute!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11482
[/QUOTE]

So many of these little squirts are alike! Brinkley would also be happy in a tub of paper! He would be occupied for hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drives my husband insane to find the pieces of paper torn everywhere...I just say..."oh well"- and pick them up. We try to keep important stuff up. Most of the time he is tearing up toilet paper, napkins, papertowels, or one of the kids' pictures that they have left laying within reach.

·
Registered
939 Posts
For those of you who haven't had your pups through the holidays..... Christmas morning is a blast!

Judi

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Hubby and I were JUST talking about Christmas the other day!

We won't be able to have a wrapped present under there!!! They will never stay wrapped!!! We gave up on ribbons and bows b/c the cats tore them off....but they don't bother the paper... :wacko:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts