Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,546 Posts
I was physically sick knowing this happened....but I purposely did not look at the pictures on the TV because I knew I would be overcome with horror. I had no idea that this little one was a maltese....how tragic because as we all know these little ones are like babies. I pray that this has a happy ending...with everyone looking so hard for this little one...there just has to be.

I did not want to come on this link, but was hoping that it was good news about the boy and his puppy back together...please dear God let this happen soon.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
I keep expecting good news...and now I am sitting at my desk a complete wreck...please when the good news comes....start a new thread...I can't continue to come on and see this, as I am physically sick over it.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
I just want to say also...and I don't want to start anything negative...but I myself cannot judge these people who left their pets. We don't know the situations and circumstances surrounding their choice...Perhaps this particular family had been either IN the horrific Superdome or Convention Center situation, or had heard about it...and the parents were just concerned about getting the first bus OUT of there....When faced with the choice, "Get on the bus now without the dog, or possibly miss the opportunity altogether"...being a skin kid mother also...I can see where she would have to choose the safety and security of her skin family first. An easy decision, "no"....but rational in my opinion. All they could hope was that the dogs were indeed going to be taken care of and reunited with family at another time. Maybe in the case of that small dog...IF they had known ahead of time, she could have smuggled him on like many others did. But I am assuming they probably had no warning or opportunity to prepare for that.
My bottom line...I have not walked in their shoes. I cannot and will not judge them for their decisions.
(preparing to be bashed....)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97696
[/QUOTE]

Tlun,

I have never bashed anyone and I agree with you with a big but! I am cutting a pasting what I wrote last night to Ginny because it does say what I believe should happen...we need to make things better now that we know better....and if we do nothing than the next time it will be the same.

Ginny,

I am not for one second judging one single person who had to do what they did....I am however holding the government responsible for not allowing or making available the neccessary support for all those who had loved animals that needed shelter from the storm. I take personal offense that I because I have more money than some could bring Teddy with me and be safe, but others because they are of lower means were unable to care for their pets safely. The people who had no choice but to leave the beloved pets did not love them any less than I do Teddy - they are just poor and were given no option - and that I find to be unforgivable.

If we are going to be a country that values our relationships with animals and makes them members of our family then we need to make choices in our laws that reflect that. How dare we as a country not make every effort to have these same pets be with those who love them....this would be so much better for all concerned as it is a known fact that animals are able to help sick patients feel better, stressed people feel less stress and those two things alone should have been reason enough. Those people who had to leave their beloved pets are worried about them now and that makes this time so much harder on everyone.

We all need to correct this problem before it is allowed to happen again...and I truly hope that polls like this one will show our government that we as a people will no longer tolerate the blatent disregard shown to our family members called pets.

Sorry, this was so harsh, but I want not one person to get the wrong idea that any of us hold those who had to leave without the family pet responsible....and I want everyone to know that we the people will no longer stand by and watch the injustice that occured from Katrina.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.