Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Registered
2,970 Posts

· Registered
1,372 Posts
This was my first time seeing the picture and then to make matters worse, I watched the clip. "The officers said they didnt know what would happen to the animal." Where were the parents of the kid? I am sorry, but I wouldnt leave one of my children behind under any circumstances, even if that child had 4 legs and fur. I would have found another way out. The Navy ship was taking in dogs so why didnt they go there? I am sorry, but this makes me angry at both the police and the child's parents. Tears are running down my face wondering where Snowball is.

· Registered
1,372 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Sep 7 2005, 02:00 PM
I guess I can never live in a hurricane area because I could not leave my babies no matter what. The authorities would have to just kill me, I guess because I would not leave without them.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97545
[/QUOTE]
I missed your post before when I read....we would be there together then! It would be over my dead body that I would leave my pet. The husband and kids could go on without me, but I know they would stay behind too.

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Sep 7 2005, 06:14 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 7 2005, 05:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ilove_d&m
@Sep 7 2005, 05:48 PM
I found the video snowball video
Apparently there are organizations looking for the dog and the family.

This is just horrible

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97571

I don't think I can bear to watch it. Is it sad?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97573

[/QUOTE]
Worse than the picture.....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97577
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh. If they find Snowball then I'll watch it. I'm still traumatized from that bus picture.....

· Registered
2,836 Posts
my bio teacher was even saying that he would NEVER leave his 2 chihuahuas behind---and his wife felt the same way. the dogs ARE my babies. and i feel bad for the little kid that owned snowball...that he threw up from crying too much.
and jeez, its a MALTESE. they should at least let people fit their dogs in backpacks or something. and i'd share my MRE's with the dogs!

· Registered
2,743 Posts
American Humane, on the scene and working for the animals!

From a letter to the Governor of Louisiana…

"...thanks to Dick Green of the American Humane Association for his incredible response and the Louisiana State Department of Agriculture and Forestry, Office of the State Veterinarian." -- Robin Beaulieu, Southern Animal Foundation

American Humane:

Incident Command for the shelter in Lafayette
Performing technical water rescue in New Orleans
Dividing and conquering to assist at the temporary shelter in Gonzales!
Thanks to all who have supported our work to help animals.

Updated Sept. 7: The American Humane Association’s rescue teams are managing the shelter in Lafayette. This shelter is helping folks who were able to get their animals out before the storm but have nowhere to keep them. Many of the human shelters will not keep animals because of space, health, and public safety reasons. That’s why our work is so important. When pets can’t stay with their owners, where can they go?

News reports continue to show animals that need help. For those of you concerned about the dogs recently featured in media reports, we’re happy to learn that those stranded on the roof of Lindy Boggs Hospital were rescued by the hospital's owner Tenet Healthcare and brought to a nearby shelter. And Snowball, the dog that was taken from the arms of a boy departing the Superdome, has been found at a shelter and efforts continue to find her family. American Humane will be on the scene as long as it takes to track down animals like these and reunite them with their families. And Snowball, the dog that was taken from the arms of a boy departing the Superdome, has been found at a shelter and efforts continue to find her family.

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Yes, they've just got to find the little boy.... But thank goodness Snowball is safe. I think this is a reminder that it is a good thing to microchip. I'm not sure if Snowball was chipped but if there was a disaster and our babies got away from us somehow... being chipped would help, I think.

· Registered
7,668 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Sep 7 2005, 05:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ilove_d&m

This is just horrible

[/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, definetely worse than the picture. I can't believe I even clicked it to watch!

I just want to say also...and I don't want to start anything negative...but I myself cannot judge these people who left their pets. We don't know the situations and circumstances surrounding their choice...Perhaps this particular family had been either IN the horrific Superdome or Convention Center situation, or had heard about it...and the parents were just concerned about getting the first bus OUT of there....When faced with the choice, "Get on the bus now without the dog, or possibly miss the opportunity altogether"...being a skin kid mother also...I can see where she would have to choose the safety and security of her skin family first. An easy decision, "no"....but rational in my opinion. All they could hope was that the dogs were indeed going to be taken care of and reunited with family at another time. Maybe in the case of that small dog...IF they had known ahead of time, she could have smuggled him on like many others did. But I am assuming they probably had no warning or opportunity to prepare for that.
My bottom line...I have not walked in their shoes. I cannot and will not judge them for their decisions.
(preparing to be bashed....)

· Registered
5,616 Posts
That picture is just awful. I am sitting here crying for Snowball and the little boy. He has gone through a major trauma and then to lose his dog? God, what has this world come to?

Did anyone see Oprah last night--the story of the man and his 14 year old dog? It makes me sick the way they have treated these people! Apparently, all the people who were forced into these "refugee" camps left and they told the people with animals that if they waited until everyone was bused out then they could take their animals on the bus. So this man has been waiting for days and they finally came to him and told him that he could go but not his dog! The man was just sitting there crying and one of Oprah's people was so angered he told the man he found someone to take care of the dog while he got back on his feet. Thankfully they were reunited.

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Sep 7 2005, 11:26 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2005, 05:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ilove_d&m

This is just horrible

Yeah, definetely worse than the picture. I can't believe I even clicked it to watch!

I just want to say also...and I don't want to start anything negative...but I myself cannot judge these people who left their pets. We don't know the situations and circumstances surrounding their choice...Perhaps this particular family had been either IN the horrific Superdome or Convention Center situation, or had heard about it...and the parents were just concerned about getting the first bus OUT of there....When faced with the choice, "Get on the bus now without the dog, or possibly miss the opportunity altogether"...being a skin kid mother also...I can see where she would have to choose the safety and security of her skin family first. An easy decision, "no"....but rational in my opinion. All they could hope was that the dogs were indeed going to be taken care of and reunited with family at another time. Maybe in the case of that small dog...IF they had known ahead of time, she could have smuggled him on like many others did. But I am assuming they probably had no warning or opportunity to prepare for that.
My bottom line...I have not walked in their shoes. I cannot and will not judge them for their decisions.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97696
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hopefully no one will bash you. They might have a different opinion but will be polite about it.

I agree with you. We don't know the situation. It is heartbreaking, nonetheless......

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I hesitate to post this, but Snowball has not been found. Finding Snowball has become a national priority and there have been many rumors that he has been found, but unfortunately, they aren't true.

The best place to look for information is http://katrinafoundpets.com/. This website was founded by the head of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary who heard Snowball's story and are the ones responsible for bringing it to the attention of the country. They have collected reward money which is now up to $3,000.

Apparently, there have been many "Snowball sightings", but none have turned out to be Snowball. I guess the latest turned out to be a Poodle. For all of us who have been asked what kind of dog our Maltese is, can you imgaine how hard it is to identify one who is filthy from the muck down there?

Apparently, they still have found where the little boy has gone, either.

· Registered
1,650 Posts
I saw the clip on TV today with Snowball approaching the door of the bus and then he is picked up by someone and moved to the side of the road. He looked very "poodley" to me. Probably a mix. He was curly and long legged and looked to weigh about 20 pounds.

Anyone else see this and think the same? I can see why there is so much confusion over his breed identification.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97696
[/QUOTE]

Tlun,

I have never bashed anyone and I agree with you with a big but! I am cutting a pasting what I wrote last night to Ginny because it does say what I believe should happen...we need to make things better now that we know better....and if we do nothing than the next time it will be the same.

Ginny,

I am not for one second judging one single person who had to do what they did....I am however holding the government responsible for not allowing or making available the neccessary support for all those who had loved animals that needed shelter from the storm. I take personal offense that I because I have more money than some could bring Teddy with me and be safe, but others because they are of lower means were unable to care for their pets safely. The people who had no choice but to leave the beloved pets did not love them any less than I do Teddy - they are just poor and were given no option - and that I find to be unforgivable.

If we are going to be a country that values our relationships with animals and makes them members of our family then we need to make choices in our laws that reflect that. How dare we as a country not make every effort to have these same pets be with those who love them....this would be so much better for all concerned as it is a known fact that animals are able to help sick patients feel better, stressed people feel less stress and those two things alone should have been reason enough. Those people who had to leave their beloved pets are worried about them now and that makes this time so much harder on everyone.

We all need to correct this problem before it is allowed to happen again...and I truly hope that polls like this one will show our government that we as a people will no longer tolerate the blatent disregard shown to our family members called pets.

Sorry, this was so harsh, but I want not one person to get the wrong idea that any of us hold those who had to leave without the family pet responsible....and I want everyone to know that we the people will no longer stand by and watch the injustice that occured from Katrina.

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Sep 8 2005, 08:53 AM
I saw the clip on TV today with Snowball approaching the door of the bus and then he is picked up by someone and moved to the side of the road.  He looked very "poodley" to me.  Probably a mix.  He was curly and long legged and looked to weigh about 20 pounds.

Anyone else see this and think the same?  I can see why there is so much confusion over his breed identification.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97743
[/QUOTE]
I've seen the pictures and I also thought he looked like he had some poodle in him. His fur looked curly.

· Registered
985 Posts
whats the lastest on snowball
i can't stand it if he isnt reunited with his family
all i have been doing is hugging and kissing maxi even more than before i think maxi thinks i have lost my mind
i keep having visions of god forbid this happened here and what i would do and i would never ever ever leave maxi never
i dont judge anyone for leaving behind there pets but i couldnt leave without my maxi NO WAY

· Registered
4,765 Posts
I start crying everytime I stop and visualize Snowball trying to get on the bus! This has been in my head ever since I saw the picture. God, I hope they find Snowball and the little boy soon. Relatively speaking, I have had Paris for a short period of time but she has filled my heart with so much love. I can't imagine what these people are going through worried about their pets.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.