Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited to get my Snoozer car seat System for Rocky. I got him the small seat with the extra small harness. I made the harness as small as I could and it fits well enough. I just don't think it's made for really small dogs. I think the adapter and harness strap is too long. Maybe I don't have it on right? Surprisingly, it does not come with much instruction. So I got my hubby to help. :blush: Well, even he couldn't understand why there is too long of a strap that he can lean over the sides or front too much. If we were to crash, I think he would still hit his head on the back of my seat...maybe I should scoot my seat up further but is this the way it is supposed to work? I thought he would be more secure in the seat where he can stand or lie down, but not have that far to fall over the sides or front of the seat. I know Marj and some others here have it too..is Rocky (5lbs.) too small for it? I got the small seat too. It also came with another strap with a hook, but have no idea what to do with that one. :blink:
They need to make one in teensy weensy Rocky Balboa size.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Is it the Snoozer Lookout? All you have to do is fasten the seat with the seat belt. I have the small seat and also got the smallest harnesses. My girls are 4 and 4 and 1/2 lbs. They both fit in the seat with room to spare. Lily did slip out of the harness a couple of times, but it is adjustable.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pictures of the Lookout Snoozer System

That's what I got...the Snoozer Lookout Car Seat System, that came with a seat belt adjuster and another strap with a hook on it, (don't know what that was for so didn't use it.) But here you can see what I'm looking at. When the dog has the harness on he can reach almost to the back of driver's seat. I will be switching the seat to the other side of the car later so he can see me. Is this right? As you can see in the pics I had to tie the adjuster strap in a knot to make it shorter and the whole thing seems like it's still too long and Rocky will fall out of it.:huh:

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I have the same seat for my furkidz.. i didnt get the seat belt system.. hmm.. maybe i should look into that.. let me know how it works out

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Hmmm....interesting! Bijou is 3.3 pounds and it fits her just fine and she is totally strapped in....Wished I knew why my system doesn't look like that...but DH is the one that puts it together....I'll try to pay attention next time I use the car...that won't be until this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Have you actually tried putting him in the seat all strapped in. I'm not sure if it will make a difference but sometimes it does.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took him for a ride around the block last night....I am going to take him out this afternoon to see my Mom. I'll try it and see what happens..I just don't think he's secure enough to not fall out of it. :blink:

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
That's what I got...the Snoozer Lookout Car Seat System, that came with a seat belt adjuster and another strap with a hook on it, (don't know what that was for so didn't use it.) But here you can see what I'm looking at. When the dog has the harness on he can reach almost to the back of driver's seat. I will be switching the seat to the other side of the car later so he can see me. Is this right? As you can see in the pics I had to tie the adjuster strap in a knot to make it shorter and the whole thing seems like it's still too long and Rocky will fall out of it.:huh:
Yours Snoozer car seat is exactly like mine. My harnesses are the nylon Vest Harness and the "thingy" that attaches the harness to the seat belt is different. It is an adjustable nylon belt with a leash clip. You are right, that is way too long and would not be safe.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I have three of these seats but mine are 10 yrs old now. I also got an adjustable strap with a clip and can use it with the harness of my choice. I would call the company if I were you and ask them to send you the adjustable strap w/clip. And if you don't feel that the harness fits properly return it and buy a different brand. If I remember correctly I think lots of SM folks got their harnesses from G. W. Little. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I use the black strap that came with the carseat itself. It looks like this: Lookout Replacement Strap - Snoozer Pet Accessories It goes around the seat belt and hooks on to the D-ring of the harness. It's super adjustable so you can make it as short as you need. I use the EzyDog harness for Bailey.

Since you ordered the entire system, which came with the harness and the seat belt adaptor, I'm not sure if the black strap was included.

I can't tell from the pictures and I haven't seen this in person...but I would think they would have a way for you to shorten the strap of the seat belt adaptor??

·
Registered
754 Posts
It looks like the seatbelt adaptor and harness you got were extra accessories that most of us didn't buy. If that's the case, I would return them if possible, unless you think you'll want to use them without the carseat--it looks to me like they're designed to be used without a dog carseat.

My Snoozer Lookout came with the basic nylon strap that loops around the seatbelt and clips together with a plastic clip. The nylon strap/loop also has a metal clip on it like the end of a leash has, to attach the strap/loop to your dog's harness and it's adjustable. That sounds like the piece that you mentioned you don't use, right?

What I would do is disconnect the harness and seatbelt adaptor that is looped around the car seatbelt. Then take that nylon strap/loop that you're not using at the moment and loop that around the car seatbelt instead and clip it shut with the plastic clip. Then put your little guy in a regular harness (one you use for walking him) and attach the metal clip on the strap/loop to his harness--same as you would with a leash. The strap is adjustable in length so you can make it nice and short so he can't dangle out of the car seat even if he tried.

See if that works better for you, as that is the setup that I think most of us are using. You may want to find a better harness than your usual walking harness if it's not that sturdy--this is just to test it out and see if this method contains him better.

In the mean time, it sounds safer to skip the carseat and have him buckled into your normal car's seat with that safety harness you got (unless it's still too long for that). It could be alarming if he would fall out of the carseat and be dangling while you're driving... and I'm sure you wouldn't want to get in an accident over something like that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
You bought the entire safety system...which is the car harness and seat belt adaptor in addition to the carseat itself. Most of us only have the carseat, and use the nylon strap (like in my link above) to attach to the dog's harness. The benefit of using the safety system together (that specific harness, seat belt adaptor and the Snoozer car seat) is that it has been crash tested.

Sophia said she uses that whole system together so hopefully she'll be able to help you figure out how to adjust it to fit Rocky.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here is what I think you are referring to...the leash clip. What do I do with it? I took more pics of the harness so you can see there is no where to attach it, unless I'm missing something here, so that's why I haven't attached it. I think maybe this is used with other harnesses and not the one that comes with the system. I bought it on Amazon so now I have to wait and see if they reply back to me..I contacted the seller. :huh:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did get that adjustable strap with the clip. I just put it onto the seat belt, but there is no D ring on the harness. Why would they send a harness without a D ring?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Problem solved...they are crediting me back 20.00 and I'm going to get a diffferent harness, but for right now the harness I use for his walks work with the strap they sent. I guess that was a good deal because I cannot find another seat I like better. :smstarz:I'm just glad it's over. Now I don't have to mail it back to them. Thanks to everyone for your help.:wine:

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
I also have the same seat and mine came with the strap others have mentioned that loops around the seat belt and clips to the d ring. This works beautifully for us.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts