Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
First of all let me say that I would be a basketcase without this website. Everyone has so much heart & compassion. And knowledge!!! I need advise & guidence please....
Monday, Aug,22nd, My baby Cha Cha is being Spayed. She turned 9 months old yesterday & I absolutetly ADORE & LOVE her. She is my perfect baby really in every way, but she is NOT a great eater,,,
The reason I say this is she is onlt 3lbs now. (That's why I waited to spay her. She is SO tiny).Cha Cha has so MANY extra teeth. I have read on the website that this is not uncommom in this breed. I don't know how many extra teeth she actually has, but it's allot. She is so tiny and she does eat... I have to HAND CUT the kibble & put dried veggies in it, but most day's she eats 70%. (It takes 1&1/2 hours to feed her EACH TIME, but I LOVE her!!!
I am SOOOO worried that her recovery will be tough... Especially w/pulling the baby teeth.. I am afraid she will stop eating. Please somebody.... Advise me on what I do? I really need your support!!!
Thanks, Jellybn1

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Best of luck to your little baby!!!!
Well, my friends malt was also tiny, go neutered and they pulled out almost all of his baby teeth. He was fine though recovering, and was soon back to normal.

Again, good luck!!!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by jellybn1@Aug 15 2005, 04:09 PM
Your So Kind!!!! I am VERY Nervous!!! I LOVE Her & I Hope She Does ok.............
                                              Jellbn1
PS- Did your friends baby give her trouble eating wise?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90721
[/QUOTE]
I can imagine how worried you are, I would be too put in your situation!!

No, he did not have trouble eating after, but all dogs are different, so I'm sure some other malts did.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I wonder if the extra teeth are hurting her? Have you tried feeding her a premium canned puppy food?.... warming it up a little bit first to make it smell good and be nice and mushy .... and hand feeding.

I had to hand-feed all three of the malts I've had. I used to sit on the floor with my first Malt, Rosebud, and put a bib on her and hand feed her canned food. K & C ate kibble but I hand fed them. Now at one and three they totally gobble their food.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes... I was feeding her Wellness wet food... I mixed it w/Merrick dry kibble which is a wonderful natural kibble with dried peas, carrots & potatoes. She LOVES the veggies. She gave me allot of trouble and miraculously, 2 months ago.. she only wanted the kibble... I have bought some extra all natural dried carroits to add to the food as there is not enough veggies in it. She stops & starts many times during a meal. I add a small bit of dried carrot to keep her interested. It is SO STRESSFUL.. I don't know if she has pain... She plays like crazy & loves "Tug of war". And w/coaxing will eat the kibble. I cut each piece into 6-8 TINY bits so she does'nt struggle. These teeth will be extracted next week. I just hope all is ok............... Jellybn1

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by jellybn1@Aug 15 2005, 04:53 PM
Yes... I was feeding her Wellness wet food... I mixed it w/Merrick dry kibble which is a wonderful natural kibble with dried peas, carrots & potatoes. She LOVES the veggies. She gave me allot of trouble and miraculously, 2 months ago.. she only wanted the kibble... I have bought some extra all natural dried carroits to add to the food as there is not enough veggies in it. She stops & starts many times during a meal. I add a small bit of dried carrot to keep her interested. It is SO STRESSFUL.. I don't know if she has pain... She plays like crazy & loves "Tug of war". And w/coaxing will eat the kibble. I cut each piece into 6-8 TINY bits so she does'nt struggle. These teeth will be extracted next week. I just hope all is ok...............                                  Jellybn1
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90765
[/QUOTE]

It's great that she likes veggies but she needs protein!!! You need to try to get some meat, chicken, lamb in to her! Apparently she doesn't like the food you have been giving her. I would keep trying brands until you find one she likes. I had a zillion samples and cans here until I got Kallie to eat. Keep trying... she needs a balanced diet with plenty of protein and fat and other things to grow.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Have you considered trying the Natural Balance rolls? They are softer than kibble, but not as yucky looking as wet food. It is kind of like a roll of salami. My dogs eat Red Barn which is very similar. If Cha Cha likes the Natural Balance then you might could check into the RedBarn.

What does your vet say about Cha Cha's weight and size? Are you going to have the pre-anesthesia bloodwork done before surgery? I hope all will be fine.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I understand your feelings...it is always a concern when they have to go for any surgery, I think.. all part of being a 'mama" I guess.
Missy, though not really "fussy' by any means did have difficulty eating kibble.. even as an adult ( or by then had just become spoiled and lazy) but I used to take her dried kibble in a plastic zip baggie and would smash it up into a "mealy" texture and then she would eat it. I was surprised at how hard some of that was! No wonder her little mouth didn't want to "deal" with it!
So, this is something youmight try to see if it encourages her to eat. Also drizzling a tiny bit of tuna water over and allow to soak in.( not the oil packed) will often work wonders to get them to eat.

Know I'll have your Cha Cha in my prayers and will be looking for your update!
Terry and my sweet Angel Missy

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
We do anesthesia on rats, mice, and tiny lizards who are even smaller than your wee one. With the proper anesthetic protocol and pre-operative work up, you can minimize the risks as much as possible.

If the vet is not already planning to send home a few days worth of pain medication, you should discuss it. I've had dogs with tons of puppy teeth pulled and after the first injection of pain medication as they wake up from anesthesia, they never needed more. I would feed a soft diet for about a week. You can always get some Hill's a/d from the vet and syringe her or put her own food in the blender and syringe that if need be.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's UNLIKELY since I bought her FEBRUARY 5th!!!! Her Sire is 3lbs & so is her mother. The TRUTH is when I got her she was 1lb & 10oz. Both the breeder & 2 vets told me she would be quite small. Why do you seen so irritated???
Jellybn1

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!! I have tried at least 20 foods. She does eat the Merrick kibble mostly. She seems to like it and its full of protein. I cut up 45 pcs. each morning and 45pcs each evening. She eats about 65 to 85% of it. I think thats a good amount. Do you agree? I also give her a snack every day of 2 and 1/2 Solid Gold "Tiny Tots". She "LOVES" them!! They are also a great natral treat thats packed w/protein. Do you think that it's enough. She certanly has allot of energy and alway's wants to play. Both my husband & I coud'nt love her more. Please let me know!
Thanks, Jellybn1
PS-I also give her a small amount of Nutrical each morning and each evening.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great advice! I called my vet yesterday. I asked him many questions, but I did not know to ask yours. I will makle sure next week that what you told me is discussed. My vet does use gas which I was told to make sure.
Thank you, Jellybn1

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I already have had the tests done and she is great. My vet says that my baby is very tiny and once in a while that does occur. She is GORGEOUS... I don't know how to post a pic or I would so all of you can see!!

Jellybn1

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I know how you feel, our little guy is going in for neutering in two weeks and we are nervous as well. He is 8 months, we got him in March and he was just over 2 lbs. and has gained a pound since we have had him. He eats very well and our Vet says he is doing fine. He needs several teeth removed, but they saw him yesterday and said it wouldn't be bad, his canines are gone, so they said the rest were not going to be a problem. The part we don't like is him staying overnight, I wish he was coming home so he won't think we left him....we have never been away from him for long
Let us know how she is doing, I'm sure she will be fine...but we all know they are our babies and we can't help be worry when things like this are going on

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I totally know how you feel!! My vet said that my little girl needs to stay overnite as well. I thought about it and it really is better for [email protected]! If god forbid something does in fact go wrong, they will be safer and confined. Thy need to be quiet & still. I know that it's an easier procedure for male puppies. Let that comfort you! I will take the next day off to stay home w/her so I can watch her closely. I'm just wso nervous that she will stop eating again.
My vet told me that it's probably just "how she is". The pulled teeth (when they heal), will not make her a better eater unfortunately...

Jellybn1

1 - 20 of 37 Posts