Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i brougbt Jake home thursday night he was a trooper with the flight from tulsa he is a beauitful 9 week old maltese i mean gorgeous
p.s. Maxi hates him and has not been nice to him on top of that maxi is depressed jake is staying at my sisters house because i felt that maxi was way too aggressive
and i was scared that he would hurt jake, i can't even believe maxi would act like this maxi is the most gentle and happy furbaby anyone can go up to maxi and pet him and he never showed any signs of this , he doesnt want jake around
im so distraught over this i thought i was doing a good thing getting maxi a brother and i did the wrong thing...My sister fell in love with jake immediately but they can;t keep him long term because of there jobs they travel alot and she feels jake deserves a home like maxi has with me
i brought maxi over to her house yesterday to see if he would be nicer on mutual territory but maxi showed no interest at all
this is so sad i cant stand it
any ideas

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I am so sorry to hear things aren't going well. Maybe if you let him stay there a few more nights and visit with Maxi then he will get used to him..? I really hope things work out for the best.

-c

·
Registered
608 Posts
Do you have a crate for the puppy? 2 or 3 days isn't long enough time to give up. This is a huge change and though it would be nice if it went smoothly and they were immediatly in love with each other, that isn't realistic.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Please don't give up yet. You may have to keep the two dogs separated for a month or more. My bichon was not happy with Sadie, even though she had been around other dogs, etc. It took a while, but it has all worked out fine. They aren't the best of friends, but they coexist peacefully.

PS. By separated, I mean at your house. The puppy and Maxi should not be left unattended. Only allow they be out at the same time when you are right there. The longer you go without them all being together in the same house, the longer it'll take to get them used to each other. Use an xpen for the puppy if Maxi has the run of the house. I tried to make sure that Jolie didn't think she was being punished. If anyone was in the x-pen it was sadie.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Here is some information from the site for the Champaign County Humane Society that might help: http://www.cuhumane.org/topics/dogdog.html

1. When you have completed the adoption and are bringing the new dog to your home for the first time, confine the resident dog to one part of the house while the new dog explores the rest. Then switch their territories. This allows each to become familiar with the other's scent.

2. For face-to-face introductions, start with limited, supervised exposure, preferably outdoors in a fenced-in yard, with the new dog on leash and your resident dog off leash. (Note: Leashing the resident dog could actually incite him or her to display aggression. Leashing only the new dog will allow you to maintain control of the situation.) Let the dogs explore one another. Praise appropriate behavior.

3. If the interaction seems to be going well, move the introduction indoors, keeping the new dog on leash. Reward good behavior, and redirect their attention if you sense tension building. Praise when the dog reorients to you.

4. Confine the new dog when you aren't present to supervise. Even when the two dogs seem to be tolerating each other well, continue for at least one month to confine the newcomer when you aren't home. Keep their first unsupervised time together short.

5. Train both dogs (ideally the resident dog is already well-trained!) to sit and stay on command, in order to maximize your control.

6. Remember that the dogs will decide their relative status on their own. The resident dog may not be the "top dog." Their status is not set in stone, and it is perfectly normal for dogs to challenge one another from time to time. Often you will not even be aware of the challenges. If you sense that a conflict is brewing, redirect their attention by giving them some commands and engaging them in other activities. If a fight seems imminent, separate the dogs and let them cool off.

7. If the newcomer is a puppy, do not allow the puppy to badger the resident dog. Redirect the puppy's attention toward yourself. Praise the puppy for reorienting to you. Begin teaching the puppy some rudimentary obedience commands from the day he or she comes into your home. You will need to confine the puppy when you cannot be present to supervise for several months.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Cloud didn't care much for Noriko and was mean to her and would fight with her. But, eventually, he just had to deal. I think NC's mom had the same problem too, but they eventually had to get use to each other. One of my friends told me she did the same thing too and at first they didnt like each other, but they get use to it. So don't feel too bad. Don't lose hope. Just keep on trying!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Tic's breeder got him a dog bed and I left some new toys with her so that I could bring those home first and let Peanut get used to the scent. I also visited the breeder a lot (probably too much if you ask her
) and when I got home Peanut would just spend hours sniffing me. Maybe you could take a towel or blanket that Maxi never used before and give it to your sister for a while. Please don't give up yet. Maybe you could try to have the two dogs meet in a neutral area. The breeder also told me (like msmagnolia said) not to disrupt Peanut's life with changes. Since Peanut had free run of the house I shouldn't all of a sudden pop him in the x pen because I added another dog to the family. Tic is the one that should be in the x pen when necessary. I hope it all works out for you, Jake and Maxi

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sir N fell in love with Little C at the place where we bought her and was nice the whole way home. It wasn't until he realized that she was moving in with us that things changed. He hated her guts. It didn't help that she was very aggressive and jumped all over him, stole his food, stole his water, humped him on a daily basis AND stole his mama's heart. It took a LONG time for Sir N to semi-like her. It's been 10 months now. They are not the type to snuggle together or play together. They are not affectionate with each other. However, they do get along for the most part and co-exist. That said, what made it easy for me was that no matter how angry Sir N would get at Little C, the worst he would do was growl and if he was VERY furious, he might snap, but he NEVER tried to hurt her. From the very beginning, he was careful with her.

They also grew closer when Little C had her knee surgeries and couldn't move about freely. He was quite fond of her THEN.

I'm really glad that I got Little C and that I stuck it out despite the almost constant growling and snarling in the beginning. They still sometimes go at each other, but a very loud "YAH!" stops them in their tracks and they instantly forget about the argument.

It took us months to get to the point where I felt that they semi-liked each other. Well, LIttle C always liked Sir N. It took months to get to the point where Sir N semi-liked Little C. But, it gets better all the time. Don't give up.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI all
Thank you for all the responses, my sister still has him and i am picking him up tomorrow everyone is being so mean to me about this my sister is flipping out at me because she has fallen in love with jake and says she cant keep him because her and her husband have jobs that keep her away and that my nephew is going to college in sept and my neice is going to be 15 and has no time she said she isnt going to let her love in nanny bring up jake and that it isnt fair and that i better make this work
problem i have is that maxi hates him and maxi is my number #1 priority i thought i was doing the right thing and i made a big mistake my mother is away and she said she wants him but they arent allowed dogs in her condominum
maxi has been depressed for the last few days you have no idea how i really thought i was doing the right thing i made a mistake i dont want my maxi to be sad he means the world to me and i think finding jake a home that is similiar to mine will be the right thing for him
i mean i made a mistake i am being so abused by everyone around me for this
and i feel like cr*p my sister said that jake is a dream he knows his name already and he is only a baby he fetches and brings back the sock to her he is adorable
but maxi is unhappy i will try again tomorrow when i pick him up but i doubt it will work so i will try and see what i can do
i feel terrible but in the long run i think jake 3will be happier being number 1
to a family that will dedicate itself to him, anyway ill keep you all posted thank you for your support

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww...Try not not be stressed out too much because they can sense it and be more sad. Good luck! Give it a little time. I think he senses how you feel that's why he's been sad because it doesnt make sense for him to be sad when Jake ISN'T there.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm sorry that people are making you feel bad about things. Just because it isn't working out now, doesn't mean that they won't be OK in a week or two weeks. Please, keep trying. One of the hardest things for people having children is worrying about how the first one will react to the 2nd one. Somehow it all just works out fine in the end.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I know it is going to be difficult, but Maxi is going to have to "deal" with it. I like the advice about separating them and them getting used to each others smells, etc. My beagle NEVER liked any other dogs we got, but it takes some time and they adjust. Dogs are great because they adjust and deal with life much easier than humans!!! :lol:

Bring ol' Jake home and give them sometime to adjust. It is a big change when Maxi has had ALL of the attention. Just make sure you let him know that you still love him, and that he is #2 on the hierarchy. You are doing what you think is best, and it probably is what's best, but things take time. It took me a whole month or more to get used to having Chanel...I was a big baby

Do not doubt yourself or your decision! THere are no mistakes. It's not like this was a spur of the moment to decision and you just decided to go over to the breeder's house and pick ol' Jake out and say, hey, I think I'll buy a pricey puppy today just for the heck of it!
Maxi will thank you later for this!!!

Be strong...

~Elegant

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm so sorry things are so stressful. Whatever you decide, please dont be too hard on yourself. Its only natural to want to give your dog a little brother. Keep us posted ok? My little Bella will be welcoming a new addition in November (my brothers puppy when he comes home from school) and I'm going to use all of the great advice everyone gives you myself

Keep your chin up....so many of the forum members have more than one dog, maybe your dog just needs time to adjust, or is trying to keep his spot as top dog

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Jul 3 2005, 11:28 PM
Give it time, afterall all you only had Jake one night?  It takes time for them to adjust to each other.  Make Maxi feel like he is still number 1, feed, pet him first, giving treats, give them first to Maxi.

When we bought Casper home, Digby did not take to him right away.  I thought maybe the 9 hour carride together might bond them.  It took her 10 days to accept him and I thought for sure she would be all depressed having to share our attention because she always has been our number 1.  She would growl at him if he came too close to her.  Everyday I hoped and hoped and that it would work out then one day (10th day) they wre both outside for potty and Digby was the one that instigated play time
It was one of the happiest moments of my life.  I did not have to worry anymore.

So give it time and I bet soon enough Maxi will accept Jake.  He plays with other dogs so I think he will begin to play with Jake.  Right now he is probably telling Jake I am the boss and just remember that!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77770
[/QUOTE]

Hi all
I picked jake back up today and he is now home with maxi and i
maxi of course greeted him with aggression the first hour was a horror show maxi banged his head on the coffee table running after jake and than i had to pick jake up maxi went balistic and jake jumped out of my hands and banged his head on the coffee table i thought my god i would have to rush him to emergency he seems ok now they are both sleeping on my bed
im trying everyone i will give it all i have but something tells me maxi won't accept this i will try and be positive , tomorrow i will take jake with me to work
(which is at my mothers house) since maxi has a tuesday routine with his dog walker we may have someone interested so hopefully by weeks end either maxi will be better about this and jake will stay or i will find a great home
thanks everyone ill keep you posted

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
If you really do want two Malts you'll have to give it time. It is not easy. Kallie would never even stay on the bed if Catcher got on it...so at least your guys are both on the bed together. It took many months for mine to get to that point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts