Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,Ok I admit. I thought the whole vampire, pasty white, look wasn't something I would be interested in. So, of course I wasn't on all the hype and hysteria that these movies produced from young to old. So, I finally broke down and watched Twilight for the first time ever the other day. I have to say it was pretty good! Now I can't wait to see New Moon. Me and My oldest daughter are going to see Eclipse at midnight on 6/29. Looking forward to it! Hopefully this old lady can keep her eyes balls open long enough to make it till midnight, it's not very often that I do!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I was a stubborn holdout on the whole Twilight series for the longest time, but an obsessed friend convinced me to give the books a shot. I had all 4 books read in less than a week. One day I woke up, started reading, and didn't stop reading until 10 hours and 1000 pages later. Is it fine literature? No. But it's a great guilty pleasure and it really sucks you in.

I really hated the first movie. Not only did I think it was poorly done (bad acting, music, etc.) but the plot was totally superficial and left out a lot from the book, I thought. I thought the 2nd movie was a HUGE step up and really enjoyed it. I went to that midnight showing. I'll definitely be seeing the 3rd one, and I'm already excited that they've decided to break up the 4th book into two movies, because it is very complex and I was afraid of what they'd have to do in order to squeeze it into one movie.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
well my daughter got me reading the books after her , and i ended up reading the whole four quicker than her ... i loved it , i agree about the first movie it was a bit dull in comparison to the book , the second one new moon was good and i cannot wait to see eclipse , i will be there with my daughters !!! and i too am glad to know that the last one wont be squished into one movie because it would leave soo much out ... i cant wait !
I was a stubborn holdout on the whole Twilight series for the longest time, but an obsessed friend convinced me to give the books a shot. I had all 4 books read in less than a week. One day I woke up, started reading, and didn't stop reading until 10 hours and 1000 pages later. Is it fine literature? No. But it's a great guilty pleasure and it really sucks you in.

I really hated the first movie. Not only did I think it was poorly done (bad acting, music, etc.) but the plot was totally superficial and left out a lot from the book, I thought. I thought the 2nd movie was a HUGE step up and really enjoyed it. I went to that midnight showing. I'll definitely be seeing the 3rd one, and I'm already excited that they've decided to break up the 4th book into two movies, because it is very complex and I was afraid of what they'd have to do in order to squeeze it into one movie.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I've read all the books and they were really good and went a saw "Twilight" and didn't really care for it. I agree it was poorly done. I have to watch "New Moon" and will be seeing "Eclipse" with some friends on the 30th.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I loved the books and read them because I was curious about all the hype. I loved both the movies too! I think Twilight was raw and had a certain roughness that made it special. New Moon was much more commericial and blockbuster-y. Im super excited about Eclipse, I'm probably going to a midnight showing!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I liked kind of Twilight, but hated New Moon. I am kind of over the whole thing. All that teenage angst is annoying. If I see Bella give a withering look one more time, I may vomit. So, count me out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bella in the books was a lot more likeable. Kristen Stewart makes the character seem a lot more mopey and awkward..to an obnoxious extreme. If I didn't love the books so much I might not see the movies, but I'm hooked.

Speaking of which, has anyone read the first part of Midnight Sun (Twilight from Edward's perspective) that was leaked a few years back?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OK,Ok I admit. I thought the whole vampire, pasty white, look wasn't something I would be interested in. So, of course I wasn't on all the hype and hysteria that these movies produced from young to old. So, I finally broke down and watched Twilight for the first time ever the other day. I have to say it was pretty good! Now I can't wait to see New Moon. Me and My oldest daughter are going to see Eclipse at midnight on 6/29. Looking forward to it! Hopefully this old lady can keep her eyes balls open long enough to make it till midnight, it's not very often that I do!
I thought you were talking about something lunar, silly me! LOL :embarrassed:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well...haha I will!!!!!! :chili:

Funny thing is too, I didn't get into it right away. When the first movie was coming out, I was still finishing up Harry Potter. And had negative emotions towards Twilight because I feel like that was the reason Harry Potter movie was delayed like 9 months.

However I did ask for Twilight the book for Christmas in 08 because after Harry Potter I had no back ups to read (that took up soooo much of my time). BUT, I didnt actually pick it up to read until August of 09. I literally finished that book in less than a week. Went and bought the 2nd one, finished that in almost a week. Went and bought the 3rd and 4th one before I was even done with the 2nd.

I got halfway through the last one, when Andy passed :( so I like shut down. Didn't feel like doing much of anything at that point. Very depressed. So I WOULD have finished them all within like 1 months time. However I didn't pick it back up until about December after I saw New Moon at the movies, and we were making our plans for little Nelson to come along, so that got me out of my depression and I was able to read again.

So YES!!! I will be seeing it. And hahahahahha atleast twice, because my boyfriend and I didn't go to a movie for my birthday, I told him I'm holing out for Eclipse :HistericalSmiley: So I will probably see it with my girlfriends, and then with him. And eventually with my mom at some point, I've made her watch all my DVDs of them, she likes them...she just thinks they are too sloooooow.

I do agree New Moon was much better, I think they just had a bigger budget. I too like Bella better in the books. Breaking Dawn wasn't my fav. though...started getting a little too weird for me, thats all I'll say. Can't wait for the movies though!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
*Slowly raises hand*

I'm going to be watching it on the 30th. :hiding:

OMG, I feel like such a teeny-bopper saying this, but I love the Twilight series. :blush: I really liked the Twilight movie, but I loved New Moon so much more. New Moon was actually my favorite book from the series.

Team Jacob!!! :chili: ROFL.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i heard of this but i wasnt sure it was out already ...
Bella in the books was a lot more likeable. Kristen Stewart makes the character seem a lot more mopey and awkward..to an obnoxious extreme. If I didn't love the books so much I might not see the movies, but I'm hooked.

Speaking of which, has anyone read the first part of Midnight Sun (Twilight from Edward's perspective) that was leaked a few years back?

·
Registered
847 Posts
i heard of this but i wasnt sure it was out already ...
It's not out. Stephanie Meyer had given out a few copies to get comments from what I think were a few close friends/editors and the draft (which was less than 1/2 way done) was leaked. Meyer was so upset that she refused to finish the project. This was in 2008. Fans were OUTRAGED and really wanted to hear Edward's side. Since then she has said Midnight Sun is her next project, but there is no timeline.

Here's the link to a draft of Midnight Sun. There are typos throughout and like I said, it will end abruptly since it wasn't meant to be released yet. It's about 260 pages. I read it all in one shot though. It adds a whole new element to the story, being able to KNOW what he was thinking. (How many times during Twilight did you think, "Geez..what is going on in his HEAD?! WHY is he giving her a weird look..?!" Now we know..

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partial_draft4.pdf

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I'm a big fan of the books but not a big fan of the movies. I doubt I'll go see Eclipse.

Bella and Edwards movie characters never matched what I had imagined in the book - In the book Edward was not "grungy" and Bella wasn't whiney and squirmy looking. (sorry if that offends anyone) much of the dynamic of how everyones lives mesh together is left out of the movies as well and that was part of what I loved. Alice was also one of my favorite characters but they just don't show much of her in the movies and they haven't really developed the friendship between Alice and Bella.

I guess books never really match what you had in your head but I was more disappointed by these movies than others.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My daugher is the one that got me started reading the books. I've read the first and second and am half way thru the third. I don't want to see any of the movies until I'm done with all of the books because I know that I'll be dissapointed in the moves. The movies are never as good as the books.

I'm an avid reader and although I enjoyed the books I found that they were written for a young audience. I don't know... maybe I've read too may old books in my days. Maybe I'm just feeling old! Maybe I'm comparing the writing and background to both the vampire and witches chronicles by Anne Rice. LOVED...LOVED...LOVED both of these stories.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
thanks soo much for this , i will be reading it , and i so hope she finishes it , because i agree there were many times i wanted to know what he was thinking!!

and i also agree that even though i liked the movies i didnt love them as i did the books , u imagine it so differently than the way they made it in the movies but i guess thats the usual with movies u see after you read the books.

It's not out. Stephanie Meyer had given out a few copies to get comments from what I think were a few close friends/editors and the draft (which was less than 1/2 way done) was leaked. Meyer was so upset that she refused to finish the project. This was in 2008. Fans were OUTRAGED and really wanted to hear Edward's side. Since then she has said Midnight Sun is her next project, but there is no timeline.

Here's the link to a draft of Midnight Sun. There are typos throughout and like I said, it will end abruptly since it wasn't meant to be released yet. It's about 260 pages. I read it all in one shot though. It adds a whole new element to the story, being able to KNOW what he was thinking. (How many times during Twilight did you think, "Geez..what is going on in his HEAD?! WHY is he giving her a weird look..?!" Now we know..

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partial_draft4.pdf

·
Registered
842 Posts
You mean she IS doing Midnight Sun??!!?!??!! I was sooooo sooo mad when I heard about it being leaked and she refused to finish it. I read the first chapter on her site a while back. But it wasn't that many pages. I think I will wait to see if it gets published then before reading anymore.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I liked kind of Twilight, but hated New Moon. I am kind of over the whole thing. All that teenage angst is annoying. If I see Bella give a withering look one more time, I may vomit. So, count me out.
AGREED! :thumbsup:

I read all four books. The first two were really good. Then, I started to lose interest during the third book and I hated the last one. There were so many grammatical errors. Very annoying. I saw the Twilight movie. Didn't like it. Didn't see New Moon and probably won't see Eclipse either. I think the whole Twilight thing is overrated. NO OFFENSE. Just my opinion. I can't stand Bella and Edward either. :w00t:

Anyway, to those of you who like it, ENJOY! :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm so there! Team Edward, though Jacob is looking mighty hot! LOL. I read all 4 books, I'm still holding out for her to finish Midnight Sun. Does anyone watch Vampire Diaries? True Blood?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts