Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
It seems strange it would come on so suddenly. I wonder if a gall bladder problem with clogged bile ducts could cause the liver damage. One of my dogs had a gallbladder mucocele in her senior year and needed surgery, but unfortunately she got aspiration pneumonia. I think another of my dogs might have had that, before they were sufficiently recognized. They show up on ultrasound, but I believe they do not show up on x-rays.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Hills I/D is supposedly a balanced diet, but I don't think it's particularly low protein. Most of my dogs have liked it. Maybe you could add some other things to it to make it more palatable (and lower protein) such as the veggies and fruit that Walter recommends.

I liked its smooth texture when I needed to syringe feed a dog which wouldn't eat.

From what I remember from 1995/96, when my small dog had liver failure, the vet at University of California Davis told me that Lactulose was/is originally a laxative, and the purpose of giving it to my dog was that "speeding up" the digestion meant there was less time for the protein to be absorbed. But from recent reading, that was an oversimplification. But in any case, diarrhea for once is not a bad thing -- just awkward to manage. Hopefully potty pad use can help with that!

(That vet went on to teach at Cornell for quite a number of years, but I think his specialty there was cats. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts