Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Lactulose will bind any ammonia in uyu's system. You may notice a change in stools, they may get a bit softer and more frequent. You might suggest a Protein C test. It is a simple blood test that is sent to Cornell for analysis. the good thing is it does require any difficult protocols in the draw. I am glad he is home. It is best to stay away from food with high protein content. Avoid products with red meat, especially. If he is not sensitive to dairy, dairy is an excellent source of protein that is very easy on the liver. Is uyu on a special diet! Good luck.
I did notice he's not having diarrhea like before, but his stools are still loose. Thank you for this information!

I asked about the Protein C test to the first doctor who saw him at the hospital and she dismissed it, saying the CT scan will show us more details. I wasn't sure so I didn't push back. I will ask his new doctor in case he has a different opinion.

The hospital gave us canned Hills i/d with his discharge, but Uyu does not like it... he has always been very picky! I've been feeding his regular Open Farm kibble, but sticking with only chicken (he was rotating beef and pork previously). I used to mix with Open Farm freeze dried raw (beef, turkey, lamb) but decided to drop it until we figure out what's wrong, and have been shredding small pieces of boiled chicken breast instead. I will try the yogurt and see if he likes it! And if you have any favorite low-medium protein foods, please let me know. Thank you Walter a thousand times!

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,166 Posts
Especially avoid beef, a small bit of low fat string cheese, yogurt are good safe protein sources instead of flesh. Make sure they do not have artificial sweeteners. The yogurt will provide some probiotic, but still a pro/prebiotic is a good addition. Veggies/fruits like carrots, peas, banana, apples in moderation are also good.

You can also get a remote nutrition consult from Cornell. Not sure of the cost. They have a lot of experience wirh small dogs and liver issues.

Reactions: uyu uyu uyu and mss

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Hills I/D is supposedly a balanced diet, but I don't think it's particularly low protein. Most of my dogs have liked it. Maybe you could add some other things to it to make it more palatable (and lower protein) such as the veggies and fruit that Walter recommends.

I liked its smooth texture when I needed to syringe feed a dog which wouldn't eat.

From what I remember from 1995/96, when my small dog had liver failure, the vet at University of California Davis told me that Lactulose was/is originally a laxative, and the purpose of giving it to my dog was that "speeding up" the digestion meant there was less time for the protein to be absorbed. But from recent reading, that was an oversimplification. But in any case, diarrhea for once is not a bad thing -- just awkward to manage. Hopefully potty pad use can help with that!

(That vet went on to teach at Cornell for quite a number of years, but I think his specialty there was cats. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Especially avoid beef, a small bit of low fat string cheese, yogurt are good safe protein sources instead of flesh. Make sure they do not have artificial sweeteners. The yogurt will provide some probiotic, but still a pro/prebiotic is a good addition. Veggies/fruits like carrots, peas, banana, apples in moderation are also good.

You can also get a remote nutrition consult from Cornell. Not sure of the cost. They have a lot of experience wirh small dogs and liver issues.
He really loves the string cheese! I've been bribing him with it to eat his regular chicken kibble mixed with the Hills ID.

Hills I/D is supposedly a balanced diet, but I don't think it's particularly low protein. Most of my dogs have liked it. Maybe you could add some other things to it to make it more palatable (and lower protein) such as the veggies and fruit that Walter recommends.

I liked its smooth texture when I needed to syringe feed a dog which wouldn't eat.

From what I remember from 1995/96, when my small dog had liver failure, the vet at University of California Davis told me that Lactulose was/is originally a laxative, and the purpose of giving it to my dog was that "speeding up" the digestion meant there was less time for the protein to be absorbed. But from recent reading, that was an oversimplification. But in any case, diarrhea for once is not a bad thing -- just awkward to manage. Hopefully potty pad use can help with that!

(That vet went on to teach at Cornell for quite a number of years, but I think his specialty there was cats. :)
Wow, that's interesting about Lactulose. Uyu saw the doctor again today, and he suggested to cut his Lactulose dosage in half to help with the diarrhea. I don't mind it (he mostly goes potty outside), it just made me worried that his tummy was upset.

Sending prayers to you and your precious one.
Thank you!

An update... Uyu's ALT levels are down to 1400, which is still extremely high -- but better from 4000 which was last Friday. He didn't do a BAT today because I didn't fast him, but he will do another blood test along with BAT in two weeks. We are hoping that both is ALT/AST and BAT are back to normal by then. He will stay on Denamarin until then. Overall, he seems much more energetic and more like himself, even though his levels are still very concerning.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,009 Posts
I totally agree with Walter. asking to do a Protein C test can rule out a shunt. That’s how i was able to rule out a shunt vs. MVD for my older girl.
I don’t know but, I certainly would question why they didn’t offer that test first, over doing a scan. And if that doctor doesn’t know what a PC test is, I would move on and find someone a bit more current.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
An update… he was doing pretty well at home but this morning I noticed he was being odd (licking his nose, staring off) and he threw up twice. He was also shivering and his gums were pale. We are at emergency again now. Please send prayers that he’s OK!

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,166 Posts
An update… he was doing pretty well at home but this morning I noticed he was being odd (licking his nose, staring off) and he threw up twice. He was also shivering and his gums were pale. We are at emergency again now. Please send prayers that he’s OK!
I hope he is ok!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts