Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Rocky sees another dog while out on a walk, he jumps forward barking and when the owner comes near us he growls and barks at the dog. My son has a Wheaton Terrier pup, same age as Rocky, six months. When they were four months we tried socializing them and it was a disaster. Their pup jumped on Rocky and Rocky showed his teeth every time he came near him. He would squeak and cry too. We tried again a month later and Rocky was terrified and mostly sat in his kennel. Then another time we had their Wheaton chained so he couldn't jump on Rocky and Rocky would go over to him and get just close enough and when their dog, Max would try to go closer he'd run away from him.

My neighbor's little dog tried going up to Rocky and Rocky showed his teeth to him too. we were outside and after a few minutes Rocky realized the dog wasn't that interested in him and he relaxed and walked a couple of feet around the other dog.

My friend has a 10 year old Maltese named Pepi and from the start Rocky was comfortable with him. He loves going there. Ofcourse the ten year old doesn't really play with him, but sits and watches him run around on the grass.

How do I get him to like other dogs? He barks at all of them. I want him to have friends but it doesn't look like that will be possible. :huh:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
You can look for a Puppy Kindergarten or Puppy Play date ( for Toy dogs) in your area.
You could form a club yourself or host or organize a Maltese Meet-up in your area. You might find one person with a Maltese your pups age to meet at an appointed time and just provide some fun time for them. You could let your vet know you are looking or a local groomer or at Puppy class.

I had a Maltese meet-up and we had 12 Malts here. We had a great picnic lunch and a great dinner ( it was a covered dish and everyone brought something) The Malts had a ball............and the humans had a great day too.

I have so many now that we have our own playdates 24/7. I have the opposite problem. I have to make sure each dogs gets 1:1 time with me and/or DH and time to be an "alone" dog.

Best of Luck!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I agree, get him in a puppy class.....preferably with other small dogs. This happened with my Abbey and to this day she's a "fear biter" when we're out taking our walks. Oh....and she barks uncontrollably too and I'm sure that's out of fear also. She's 5 now, a year ago I enrolled her in a puppy class at PetSmart - but the other dogs were big, young and out of control!!!!!!!

For the first half of the class she would sit on my lap and shake. But when the treats came out, she was front and center. I'm afraid it's too late for Abbey.

But don't waste time, check with an animal behaviorist....if you don't fix it now, you won't want to take him anywhere with you in the future. :blink:

Life is so much easier with a socialized dog. Oh...my next door neighbor has a small cocker spaniel, she doesn't come to my puppy parties because her dog is "no good" with other dogs.....very sad...
Abbey is fine at the parties because it's her own house and she's the boss, LOL. And she usually knows all the company. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
A friend of mine actually advertised on craigs list for a small breed pay date. She now gets together weekly with a wonderful woman who has a blind bishon and, unfortunately, didn't have a fenced in backyard. The dogs get along wonderfully.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Socialization means you give your dog POSITIVE experiences with other dogs. Unruly puppies are not a positive experience. I recommend finding calm, sociable adult dogs to meet and greet. Another good idea is to sign up for a basic obedience class where the dogs are all on leash (not a puppy class, not a play group). This gives your dog a chance to be around other dogs without confrontation.
Your dog's behavior is not appropriate. Your dogs lack of social skills increase the chance of your dog ending up in a serious confrontation with another dog.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions

I do take Rocky to our friend's house, where the adult Maltese there is happy to have Rocky around. Rocky never barks or growls at him, loves him and follows him all around their house.
I think my instinct is to bring him around small adult dogs that are calm.

I also have problems with him walking on a leash, pulling me. These are the two main problems..other than that he is a sweet loving puppy. I adore him...he's the joy in my life.

I think taking him to classes is good, but the trainer at Petco told me to bring him to petco and when he sees another dog and barks, just walk the other way. Each time let him get a little closer. Does this sound right?
I would like to take him to obedience classes, but aren't they mostly just puppies there? If the puppies are wild..it scares Rocky.

I think what started this was his unfortunate experience with my son's puppy Wheaton. I feel responsible for his behaviour and lack of social skills. My son's dog jumped on him and now he's scared of dogs.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There are obedience classes of all levels, from puppy to advanced competition. Puppy classes are not appropriate for dogs over 16 weeks of age. A basic obedience class should be under control - no dogs running loose and playing, no dogs going after other dogs.
I don't recommend a Petco or Petsmart. I recommend finding a trainer with good qualifications who can allow you to watch them teach, tailor the class to your dog, and is able to offer one-on-one instruction if needed. Search the apdt.com website for trainers.
There are a variety of methods to teach loose leash walking. If you are unsure, then a training aid such as a gentle walk harness or head halter (Gentle Leader, Comfort Trainer) can help you while you learn to train loose leash walkng.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are obedience classes of all levels, from puppy to advanced competition. Puppy classes are not appropriate for dogs over 16 weeks of age. A basic obedience class should be under control - no dogs running loose and playing, no dogs going after other dogs.
I don't recommend a Petco or Petsmart. I recommend finding a trainer with good qualifications who can allow you to watch them teach, tailor the class to your dog, and is able to offer one-on-one instruction if needed. Search the apdt.com website for trainers.
There are a variety of methods to teach loose leash walking. If you are unsure, then a training aid such as a gentle walk harness or head halter (Gentle Leader, Comfort Trainer) can help you while you learn to train loose leash walkng.
Thanks...I'll check into it Jmm.
You all were very helpful.
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I'm going to try to get him to a obedience class.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
you got great feedback, but i wanted to add that if your puppy knows basic commands such as sit, down, stay and recall, then i highly recommend a prep class for the AKC canine good citizen test. the dogs in these classes are not allowed to socialize, in fact the goal is to teach your dog to calmly ignore other dogs - walking past them, sitting around them, etc. walking on a loose leash is also part of the test and covered in a prep class.

but please be sure that you find a trainer that teaches using positive reinforcement techniques - no choke collars, pinch collars, painful corrections, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts