Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I took Kobe to the vet for the first time (10 weeks) the vet said to be sure to get him plenty of face time with people. Socialization. No other dogs until he got all his shots but lots & lots of people. How am I supposed to do this when we are all quarantined? The first week was great. We had people here and he greeted everyone. Yesterday the mechanic came to change the brakes in my driveway and I couldn’t even get Kobe to sit on the front porch with me because he (the mechanic) was out there. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Oh gosh, such a hard situation to be in when you have a puppy that needs crucial socialization! How old is Kobe now? I'll try to think of any ideas for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh gosh, such a hard situation to be in when you have a puppy that needs crucial socialization! How old is Kobe now? I'll try to think of any ideas for you.
He was born January 4, 2020. 13 weeks.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I think it’s just as important to let them experience life experiences, as it is people and dogs, so maybe focus on that for now.
For instance, I live next to a rod and gun club, wet lands. My girls don’t flinch when they hear gunshots, or see a group of deer or wild turkeys in my yard.
My friends dogs would lose their minds because they have never been around, seen or heard these things.

So, IMHO, I think any type of socializing is better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
In addition to what Joanne suggested I might add:
Vacuum cleaner, cars, horns honking, trucks, police cars, fire trucks, ambulance, mail trucks, garbage trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers, leaf blowers ....etc. Get creative. 🚴‍ 🚗 🚓 🚑 🚒 🏍

I remember how it took Abella the longest time to get over her fear of the wind. Every time the wind blew her hair from behind she'd have a fit and turn around and want to attack it! It was so cute & funny (maybe not to her but to me). Seems like so long long ago. 😂

Enjoy every phase - they pass so quickly. 🐶🐾

I wish I lived next-door to a gun range like Joanne does! :cool:

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
In addition to what Joanne suggested I might add:
Vacuum cleaner, cars, horns honking, trucks, police cars, fire trucks, ambulance, mail trucks, garbage trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers, leaf blowers ....etc. Get creative. 🚴‍ 🚗 🚓 🚑 🚒 🏍

I remember how it took Abella the longest time to get over her fear of the wind. Every time the wind blew her hair from behind she'd have a fit and turn around and want to attack it! It was so cute & funny (maybe not to her but to me). Seems like so long long ago. 😂

Enjoy every phase - they pass so quickly. 🐶🐾

I wish I lived next-door to a gun range like Joanne does! :cool:
Great suggestions, Paulann!
All these things Paulann mentioned can really trigger anxiety in our fluffs, so best to expose them to all of this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think it’s just as important to let them experience life experiences, as it is people and dogs, so maybe focus on that for now.
For instance, I live next to a rod and gun club, wet lands. My girls don’t flinch when they hear gunshots, or see a group of deer or wild turkeys in my yard.
My friends dogs would lose their minds because they have never been around, seen or heard these things.

So, IMHO, I think any type of socializing is better than nothing.
Oh yes. I think thats excellent advise. I’ve been trying to leash train him so we go on walk s down my drive way a few times a day and the neighbor hood sounds seem to be intimidating for him but I try not to let him shrink back. We face them head on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts