Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Roxy is doing well in most aspects. Shes having some trouble with housetraining though. I know many people say that smaller dogs are harder to house break so I'm pleased with the progress she has made. I use the doggy door method. The pups can go in and out of the house/backyard as they please. The thing is, Roxy wont go into the backyard without me, or someone else, to accompany her. It's not the doggy door, she goes in and out it fine. She just wont go by herself, or even with the other dogs. It's like we dont even have a doggy door - if I dont go out with her, she will eliminate in the house. Anyone got any suggestions for me? I'm willing to try anything.

Another thing... I think my mom is trying to steal her!!!! lol. No but seriously. My mom and I live together and she is a public school teacher, so she is now on summer vacation and home all day. I have school and errands, and work, and although I am home quite a bit, I'm afraid Roxy will become more atatched to my mom than me because she is home for the next 2 months. Granted she will go back to work in August, but I fear she will have formed too strong of a bond with my mom to come back to me. She will be starting obedience classes soon, so that will help or realtionship, but I'm still worried. Honestly, if I am going to be paying the expences for a dog and put in the time and effort of training, I would rather it love me the most, is that wrong? As you can probably tell, I am very posessive with my dogs lol. My neighbor said I was greedy with them, and its true. I crave the bond created between human and canine. Plus, my mom doesnt want another dog, she has hers and is content with that. Sooooo how do I entice my new little one to love me more? Shes in the other room with my mom as I type this :bysmilie::bysmilie::bysmilie:

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I think it's not such a bad idea that Roxy doesn't go outside all by herself, unsupervised. My dogs do go in and out, but my yard is really just a large deck, fenced and reinforced with chicken wire. It's a small close residential area on the water, so other than ducks, there isn't much wildlife. But I've heard sad stories of coyotes, and birds of prey...scares me to death!!! If I lived anywhere else I'd never let my dogs out alone.

Also I wouldn't worry about Roxy being with your mom. I am always happy that I have someone here with the kids all the time....and they still like me the best :thumbsup::innocent:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
My daughter stole my maltese' attention from me too several years ago. She just couldn't wait until my daughter walked in the door every afternoon. She ended up going to live with her when she moved out. I had to resort to getting another so I had one to myself.
That's why I have Cosy. These little creatures can steal hearts - no doubt and sometimes we steal theirs. ;)

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Like Pat said, don't let her go outside by herself. They are so small a hawk or another bird of prey could try to get her. Big dogs or coyotes could easily come into your yard and hurt her. So mine never go outside alone.

As for Roxy's relationship with your mother. I'm sorry to say that my Zoe spends her days at G'ma and G'pa's house since she's not happy at the store. So I drop her off every morning and pick her up every evening. I'm the one who feeds her, bathes and grooms her, and she sleeps plastered next to my side every night. But I'll be honest. I really get the feeling when I pick her up in the evenings she would rather I just leave her with G'ma and G'pa. She can't wait to go to their house in the morning. She still loves me and looks to me when she's unsure or frightened. But other than that, I really think she prefers my parents. But my parents adore her and dote on her and she's really good for them without having the full responsibility of a dog. So it's really a good deal all the way around. I'm sure you'll think of things that make it a really good thing with your mom and Roxy too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts