Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at Peechie's teeth the other day and she has a bit of tartar building up. Above her eye teeth the gums look a little red.
Top of her eye teeth look discolored. I've started brushing them, not that she is very cooperative. She tolerates it a little bit. She'll be 2 in Nov. Isn't that kinda young for teeth problems??? She is getting groomed tom. I'm going to have the groomer take a look and let me know what she thinks.
Anyone have any teeth problems at such a young age????

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
small dogs develop dental disease sooner than large breeds. i think it depends on how much of an active chewer they are. is she on dry or canned food? does she have n e thing to chew on regularly? parker gets plaque buildup fast b/c he is on canned food, but he lets me scale his teeth. the red line means you are due for a clenaing. i would have ur vet have a look, and if he suggests a dental then i would do so. then u can start brushing regularly to prevent this from occurring as soon. brushing now that the plaque is there wont do much good. that stuff is basically cement! good luck!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I took Macy to the vet last night they told me she had tarter on her teeth. So I have to brush her teeth everyday. I have not ever done this before so I don't know i f she will let me brush them. The vet told me it would cost me about $200.00 for them to give a yearly cleaning. That to me sounds like it's to much. DO you guys think he is trying to rip me off or does this price sound about right. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by steponme@Oct 21 2005, 05:43 PM
I took Macy to the vet last night they told me she had tarter on her teeth. So I have to brush her teeth everyday. I have not ever done this before so I don't know i f she will let me brush them. The vet told me it would cost me about $200.00 for them to give a yearly cleaning. That to me sounds like it's to much. DO you guys think he is trying to rip me off or does this price sound about right.  Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112081
[/QUOTE]
Sugar was 2 in August and had her teeth cleaned then. She did have some reddness around the gumline. It cost me $100 and they were pearly white again. I am a big advocate of dental care after seeing my foster with so few teeth. It is sad when their tongue hands out and I don't ever want that to happen to my babies.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Jonathan had his first cleaning at 18 months when I got him. He gets them done every year. I brushed the first 2 years I had him and it made no difference and it was a struggle. Now we just do the professional cleaning once a year.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 21 2005, 12:33 PM
small dogs develop dental disease sooner than large breeds.  i think it depends on how much of an active chewer they are.  is she on dry or canned food?  does she have n e thing to chew on regularly?  parker gets plaque buildup fast b/c he is on canned food, but he lets me scale his teeth.  the red line means you are due for a clenaing.  i would have ur vet have a look, and if he suggests a dental then i would do so.  then u can start brushing regularly to prevent this from occurring as soon.  brushing now that the plaque is there wont do much good.  that stuff is basically cement!  good luck!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112008
[/QUOTE]
Peechie eats dry food and chews on bones every day. I'm going to have to give the vet a call and see what he thinks. Thank you for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts