Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess this is where I'd put this :huh:

Nelson...who's almost 1. To try and make a long story short. We went to our cabin last weekend (where Nelson has been atleast 5-10 times by now). We are usually with him 24/7 there, usually goes in the car with us when we go driving around and stuff. However, they just opened a new visitor center this month, and we wanted to all together together rather than in shifts, were pets cannot go.
So we contemplated lock him in his crate? Nah...he'd probably rather be in the bathroom with the baby gate up. Put the crate in there, food, water, wee wee pad, toys, biscuits. He'd be more comfortable. Put the radio on, he saw us leave, we'd be back in like an hour.

Well...ended up being about an hour and half by the time we got back. I joked and said he'd probably try and jump the gate and be sitting on the couch when we got back. Well suprise!!!! he met us at the door. How? Did he jump???

Nope........

Why???? What the heck was going through his mind that he had to chew his way out of there for dear life??? We would have never guessed he would have done that. We lock him in the kitchen at our house with baby gates when we go out, and he's never chewed through any gate. We took him on vacation in July to a strange new house and baracaded him in the kitchen there when we went out and he never tried to escape. He's been to the cabin enough times now. I would maybe understand if it was his first trip there.
But now we don't know what to do. We'd like to every once in a while take short trips out and about up there without him. It's hard to enjoy wildlife and like take pictures of animals, with a barking dog. So someone always stays in the car with him, we get out in shifts. We'd like to be able to leave him for like an hour every once in a while, and feel comfortable doing so...not that he will try and chew his way outta the woodwork.

I worry he'd try and chew outta the metal crate? I know Marley from Marley & Me did...but he was much bigger. I worry about his teeth. He already had red gums from this and even ate 2 of the pieces (found them later...in you know what). Most of the pieces were on the floor though.

I just don't understand why he would have done that. We feel bad he was obviously so upset to chew his way out. I dunno if it took him 10 minutes, or the whole hour and a half. He didn't destroy anything else at all. Have no idea what he did once he was out, what did he think would happen once he freed himself??

Surveying the damage...

I just cannot believe he did that. Why??? :blink: Guess we shoulda named him "Houdini"..."Nelson Houdini"

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
LOL, it probably didn't take him long to chew his way out. Hannah did that the first night she was with us. Took her about 15 mins. She's never done that again. But we never gate her in a room anymore either. Nelson just wanted to go with you, I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
My first malt did that when she was a puppy. I switched to the plastic-coated wire and never had a problem from that point on - over 15 years!

He just wanted to go with you!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Whoops! :HistericalSmiley:

Looks like somebody's going Gate shopping soon......

Maybe you could get a wire xpen?

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I’m amazed at how darn smart he was to chew his way through - so meticulously - leave it to a fluff!

I use the Greco play pen for Lucy, if I have to leave her unattended for a short time. it works out perfectly - and she doesn't mind it at all (if it's not too long).

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I had that same gate. The mesh is plastic, so my Rose almost chewed through when she was a puppy. They do make them with wire mesh which is stronger so I replaced mine. Why did Nelson do it? Maybe he didn't like the bathroom:blush: I have never had one chew through wire. When we got our Lily, I thought she was safe with the wire mesh gates and she is a tiny girl. Do you think a big wire gate stopped her? No way! To my astonishment, she climbed right over.:HistericalSmiley:The good news is they do outgrow this behavior and Nelson is still a baby. He sure is cute!:wub:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
:new_shocked::new_shocked:My, what big teeth you must have Nelson. :HistericalSmiley: I know it's not funny but that photo sort of is. Showing off his handiwork. :blush: We always used a wire x-pen with Tyler but also by the time he was about 1 we were able to give him some more freedom. Maybe you can section off a larger area for him to be in with a wire x-pen. Also I would try leaving him alone for varying degrees of time and lots of rewards if he's good. You could start with 10 minutes, then go to 20, etc. Possibly leaving him a Kong with food in it for him to keep busy with and chew instead of him chewing the gate or an educational toy. I leave Tyler quite often in NY and VT and I when I say "Mommy be back soon" (Yup I should have gotten the grammar right to begin with:blush:) he doesn't even come to the door to try to get out with me but stays where he is. You have to find some way not to be a prisoner of little Nelson. Though what a cute warden. :wub:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it was funny, but sad at the same time. I just feel bad he felt so stressed enough to do that.

I just didn't understand why he is fine when we leave him at home. And was fine at a brand new house on vacation. But this place he's been to before. The ONLY thing that was different was we didn't have his "poppy" (kong) that we usually leave him with. Granted, he eats it all in about 1 minute anyways, but maybe he is used to having that now when we go out, because he gets it everytime we leave. We didn't plan on going anywhere, so we didn't bring it with us.

The problem is, its a very small cabin, like 24x24 feet total. So we can't have anything real large set up there, as we'd hardly ever use it. Which is why we just have a baby gate up there that is small and takes up no space. I did see vinylcoated wire gates in the pet section at Walmart. You don't think he could chew through that? I was worried he'd chew the plastic stuff off, or cut himself on the wire if he got through that???

The pictures are funny though. Maybe we will have to try it again sometime, maybe leave for like shorter time and come back. I mean we do like taking him around with us up there, it's just hard when you are trying to be within 20 feet of a HUGE Elk and have a barking dog, to try and take pictures haha. Because someone always has to stay in the car with him, we'd like to have the option of leaving him behind, if we wanted to run to a restaurant or shop or just out for a trail walk. We are just scared to try again...

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
awwh sorry for giggling when reading through - I guess Nelson was just trying to tell mommy that he 'aint stupid (amazes me how smart these little ones are)

awwh but again, sorry that this happened

hugs
Kat

ps. yes, "Poppy" is needed for next time

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Next time spray thoroughly with Bitter Apple. That always stopped Cosy from chewing anything. Metal would be safer, however. :)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I think that dogs, like young kids like routine, so maybe having the Kong would have "told" Nelson, they're going but they'll be back. Time to buy a few extra Kongs. Also as far as trying out leaving -- you can just go out nearby, take some lawn chairs and check back in 15 minutes intervals. That way you won't be so worried. I think I would be worried about him chewing off the vinyl :w00t: so it's either wire or not. Now the x-pen thing we had was really a set of swinging sections that you could make as little or big as you needed. When I went to VT I'd close it up (it kind of accordions flat) and throw it in back of the car when we traveled. I could then confine him in a smaller area (kitchen door) or bigger area of dining and living room as he was able to take on more territory. As I said, Tyler got the run of the house around when he was 1 after my giving him increasing time and space. Then he never stressed and knock on wood has never destroyed or bitten thru anything.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Awwwwwwwww bless his sweet heart. You got great advice here, and don't feel bad, I know it must have been hard to see, he sure is a cutey.

·
Registered
389 Posts
He looks very proud of himself in the last picture.

I have a metal gate with a door in it and Preston can sliver through the bars. It works for Lucy so I keep it up but when I leave the house Preston goes in the pen.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Get the metal gates with the doors on them!! I have three and I just love them!!!
That's what I use, too! I heard about so many stories of dogs either jumping over short gates, chewing through them, or climbing on them. My metal gate is AWESOME and has vertical bars so they can't climb even if they wanted to! It's a tension-mount also which is nice and has the door to walk through!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
We use an X-pen,
but we do have a gate too.
It is the same as yours (wooden & expandable)
But instead of the mesh, it is solid, clear plastic.
I bought it at Petsmart.
And I sprayed the wood with bitter apple.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Don't just think of ways to force your dog into confinement. Address the true issue - separation anxiety in a specific location. Forcing your dog into confinement can create worse anxiety issues. I would recommend using what your dog is use to at home, crate, pen, gate, whatever. And working through it - I use I'll Be Home Soon by Patricia McConnell.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I use, too! I heard about so many stories of dogs either jumping over short gates, chewing through them, or climbing on them. My metal gate is AWESOME and has vertical bars so they can't climb even if they wanted to! It's a tension-mount also which is nice and has the door to walk through!

Do you know where you got the metal gate? Any metal gates I've ever see with swinging doors, you have to like permanately mount them to the doorways. I would love to find one that is pressure mounted. And it would help everyones backs! That we've all been climbing over gates for so long hahha.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I've not had a problem with any dogs chewing their way out of a gate but I have had dogs climb out of expens, over gates and even had one rescue dog (Mr. Pup now owned by Mary Beth (mpappie) on this forum) climb up and over a 4-ft chain link fence. So finally I got this pressure mounted metal walk-through gate and love it. Check out the links for where to buy and buy online. Gates Sure&Secure® Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts