Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple days ago leise and i were watching tv together and her daddy came home and she began doing her happy dance.. her toenail got caught inbetween the wall & the carpet and she pulled it out quickly. i am not sure if that is how she got hurt but that is my assumption.. i came to this conclusion because that was where the blood on the carpet began. she came running to me (limping) and her whole paw was red and bloody... (i fall on floor and start crying + heartattack)

i counted her toenails and i only found 3/5...

i didn't want to hurt her so i stopped trying to touch it.. it stopped bleeding and i wrapped her foot nicely but i'm still so paranoid..

i don't know what's going on with her.. is she going to be okay?

oh and another thing..
her fur seems to have broken off in many places.. when will it grow back? will it grow back at all?

please help someone.. i'm sad :***(

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that your baby ripped her nails out. I think you may need to see the vet ASPS just to make sure she does not get an infection. As for the hair breakage, do you mean on her foot? Hair will always grow back unless there is a medical condition causing it to fall out. However, I think this is your least concern at the moment. Please, tomorrow morning take your baby to see the vet about those lost nails. You do NOT want a major infection.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your quick response..

i've already made an appointment.. the day it happened the vet was closed so i called in the morning. they did not have an opening until tomorrow so i'm going to go..

about her hair breakage it was her body.. not her feet....

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I agree, I would get your baby to the vet. My sister has a large breed dog and he tore off a couple of nails trying to fight off another dog who was trying to attack my sister. Anyways, they're both okay, but I think her dog needed stitches and no longer has one of his nails. Let us know how it goes. I hope Leise is okay

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah sounds like a needed vet appointment...prob. will need to be on antibiotics..as far as the hair loss it can be many things..could be fleas, ringworm, mites, allergies, or many more. is she walking on it at all?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she walks fine.. even the day she was hurt she began chasing things (running around) and stuff.. no one would even notice she got her foot hurt you know?

about the fur... i was just including this in the post because i heard there are many reasons for hairloss.. i wanted to figure what was going on. i mean.. there are short spots on her body... and some parts look really full and long. is there something wrong with her? i hope not.......

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Hope all is well soon...

I can't help with the hair loss question...

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by foX42O@Oct 19 2005, 08:38 PM
thanks for your quick response..

i've already made an appointment.. the day it happened the vet was closed so i called in the morning.  they did not have an opening until tomorrow so i'm going to go..

about her hair breakage it was her body.. not her feet....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111443
[/QUOTE]

Good, I am so relieved that you have a vet appointment. Be sure and let us know what he/she says.

About the hair.......are you using some sort of spray mist before you brush her? That is very important because the hair is so fine and fragile that it breaks easily. It will grow back. If you are really concerned show it to the vet while you are there with the nails. Also, it might be breaking from her playing, or even rubbing it on the furniture. (A couple of days ago I noticed a little place on Sassy's kennel that was catching her hair and ripping it.) There are so many things that could contribute to hair breakage. You might keep an eye out and see it there are any items around the house that has a matt of hair stuck to it. We have Burber carpets and I know they are rough on Sassy's hair, but I still let her roam free and be a little pet. (I can't make myself call her a doggie
)

Don't forget...let us know about the nails. We will be thinking about you and your baby Leise (love the name.)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My goodness, poor baby. You've called the vet and that's the best thing you can do. Let us know how it goes, these little babies are surprisingly tough, so I'm sure you and the vet will help her heal fast.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sorry to hear your puppy got hurt. I'm glad you made the vet appointment. When you take her in you can also mention your concern about her hair loss.

Please keep us posted. I hope your baby feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I hope Leise is ok and there isn't any real serious injury with her paw. It sounds as though it isn't worrying her too much but our little furkids are really brave and don't often complain about things. Lets hope there is good news from the vet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all of your encouraging words.

i will be sure to keep all of you posted after returning from the vet.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Have you been to the vet yet? If so, is everything okay?

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
You know I don't know why I didn't ask this question before concerning the hair issue. How old is your baby? If she is under a year old the longer hair might be her baby hair and the shorter hair could be her adult coat coming in. Hope everything went well at the vet's office today. Can't wait to hear the results and hopefully a good report.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry i haven't posted after i promised.. things started to get really busy with my life.. haven't really got a chance to come on SM.. anyhow about leise's toenail.. the vet doesn't think they will grow back.. but he says we need to give it time to heal a bit.. however he doesn't believe it will effect her health.. she will just have no toenails

by the way.. she is now 5 months. when i posted before she was still 4 i think...

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Glad to hear that she is doing better and will be ok. I don't think a couple of missing toenails will affect her health in any way. Just a couple less to have to clip. Thanks for updating us on her recovery. Have a great holiday.

·
Registered
802 Posts
poor thing!
I would be paranoid, too. I heard there is a posibility they could bleed to death through a finger nail. Just make sure the bleeding stopped.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
So glad all is going ok, I am sure she will make a full recovery and probably won't miss a couple of toenails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.