Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son got in trouble for drawing a pic of a dracula related subject on the computer. Now, get this...that book...Stoker's Dracula is on their reading list. Tell me how it's ok to read the book but not draw pics related to it?
Also, he drew a pic of Jesus a few weeks ago w/ his fingers in a peace sign and saying "peace" and he was told that was inappropriate!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Hmmm, maybe he doesn't care about getting in trouble because he's always getting in trouble in school. Maybe it's not because of what he drew that was inappropriate...maybe it's because he did it when he wasn't suppose to. Did you see the picture? Maybe it was bloody and graphic or something? Is he still in the same school that you had issues with? I kinda sorta find it odd that a kid would draw a picture of Jesus, but then again, I wasn't raised religious. Did you ask him why he drew the picture of Jesus? Why he was even thinking about Jesus at that time? Gosh, is there not any psychiatrist on here? No psychiatrist owns a MALTESE! That's utterly CRAZY. Maybe he doesn't want to be in that school.

Girl, I commend you for trying! You're definitely a good mommy. Don't forget that! I hope you can find answers. I'm trying so hard to remember how it felt to be a younger teen.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I feel for anyone raising children in this day and age. My "baby" is 26, so thankfully he is grown. Sounds like your son is getting many mixed messages from the school in general. Maybe you should discuss this with the Principal at the school WITH the school counselor present and have them explain why it is alright to read about that subject, but not draw it. Maybe they have a rule about computer usage that you are not aware of?? If you do not get a coherent answer from the school (which you will most likely not get), I would address the question to the School Board. I often found that the "school board" words got the answers I needed from the school itself. Kinda like "I'm going to tell your Dad when he gets home".

I feel it is sad that our children have to internalize their religious beliefs (whatever religion they are) in our schools now. Is that not why we all ended up in America in the first place? Religious persecution?? I can fully understand not standing on your desk and "preaching" about ANY religion, but to curb our childrens freedom of expressing those same beliefs is not right either. I recently read an article about a teacher being diciplined for WEARING A NECKLACE WITH A CROSS ON IT, that was visible to the students
. Just too sad.....

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
buttercloud...he drew the pic in his free time during computer class....I'll read on and respond more...

We have a conference on Monday to discuss things. He is being treated unfairly b/c he's gotten in trouble once in that class. So now the teacher watches him closer and misses the things the other kids are doing(like not using the box to cover their fingers when they type their final assignments). Kids are telling me that Cory is constantly being nagged to use the box but the other kids get away w/it no problem

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 25 2005, 09:04 AM
I feel for anyone raising children in this day and age.  My "baby" is 26, so thankfully he is grown.  Sounds like your son is getting many mixed messages from the school in general.  Maybe you should discuss this with the Principal at the school WITH the school counselor present and have them explain why it is alright to read about that subject, but not draw it.  Maybe they have a rule about computer usage that you are not aware of??  If you do not get a coherent answer from the school (which you will most likely not get), I would address the question to the School Board.  I often found that the "school board" words got the answers I needed from the school itself.  Kinda like "I'm going to tell your Dad when he gets home".

I feel it is sad that our children have to internalize their religious beliefs (whatever religion they are) in our schools now.  Is that not why we all ended up in America in the first place?  Religious persecution??  I can fully understand not standing on your desk and "preaching" about ANY religion, but to curb our childrens freedom of expressing those same beliefs is not right either.  I recently read an article about a teacher being diciplined for WEARING A NECKLACE WITH A CROSS ON IT, that was visible to the students
.  Just too sad.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37665
[/QUOTE]

My children go to a catholic school. Drawing a picture of Jesus should be commended...and as far as him holding his fingers in a peace sign, that to me is fine...It's our belief that Jesus would want world peace right?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Triste,

Remind his teachers that freedom of speech and expression is one of the founding principles of our nation. Stifling a child's creativity should be a crime!!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 25 2005, 11:04 AM
I feel it is sad that our children have to internalize their religious beliefs (whatever religion they are) in our schools now.  Is that not why we all ended up in America in the first place?  Religious persecution??  I can fully understand not standing on your desk and "preaching" about ANY religion, but to curb our childrens freedom of expressing those same beliefs is not right either.  I recently read an article about a teacher being diciplined for WEARING A NECKLACE WITH A CROSS ON IT, that was visible to the students
.  Just too sad.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37665
[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think he drew the picture of Jesus with the peace fingers because of the movie Dogma. There is a "Buddy Jesus" statue in the movie that is doing that. I think he's also winking. Anyway I don't see anything wrong with being artistic and they should really let him be creative. I don't get the vampire one min. and Jesus the next but since they are reading a book about vampires I guess I understand.

My friend in high school was part of the school paper, she was the one that took and developed all the pictures. She had her photo partner take a picture of her and some of her friends for the paper and she was wearing a cross necklace like she always did every day of her life. When we saw the paper the necklace was photo shopped out! We were outraged and complained. We were told the crap line of separation of church and state and religion didn't belong in school (first of all "separation of church and state" doesn't even exist! It wasn't in the constitution! It was in a letter between our forefathers saying the opposite! That the state should not be able to interfere with the church, not the other way around! Some stupid judge made that "seperation of church and state" crap up). We commented that she wore that cross everyday and no one ever said anything to her about it before. And wouldn't you know it, they never made her take the cross off but they wouldn't apologize for taking the cross out of the picture. It made me so mad because that cross was who she was. Religion was a part of her and they took that out in the picture! Ok I will get off my
now.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't understant. How can you have "free time" in computer class ? When you are in class there is no free time. I think you need to talk to somebody at the school to get to the bottom of this. Talk to the teacher itself. You know, kids don't always tell you how it really happened. I am surprised that a catholic school would even have a Dracula book to read. If you can read the book but not draw a picture they are in contradiction with themselve. But maybe the drawing itself of the picture was not the reason he got admonished. Maybe it's when he did it. As I said you need to talk to the teacher and get her/his side of the story.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Maybe when you have your conference you can tell them he could be drawing MUCH worse...
Like a man raping a woman, got her pregnant, then raping the baby.. :eek:

Yes, this was a cartoon drawing that we took up from a seventh grader last week!

SO, I would take the Jesus drawing or the Vampire (esp. if they were reading the BOOK!) anyday!

What a crazy teacher!
Does she need to retire?! Sounds like one of ours who has out-taught her days and won't leave!!!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I think the conference is a good idea before making any kind of judgment about this incident. My parents drummed into me that there were always "two sides to every story" and I find that sometimes there are even more!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm we've never seen the movie Dogma. I've not heard of it. I'm afraid we don't get to the movies too often, and neither does my son. I know that his friend's mom is just as concerned about content as I am so I trust her. In any case, I will look that up though.

Maltese Jane...this is how his computer class is run (ya..I have a huge beef with this). This is the class where they do something called "Type to Learn". It is a program that teaches them proper typing technique. They do practice sessions and then when they are ready, they do a final exercise w/ a box over their hands. This is where my son says that he isn't being treated fairly. He says that the teacher makes him use it nearly all of the time while he doesn't catch the others cheating. It appears the teacher is watching my son closer. While I understand why a teacher would want to watch certain students, I have a beef with how he tracts their progress. They do it on the "honor" system(how many 12 yr olds would really do the honorable thing every time if given the chance to do it the easy way and ensure the better grade?). The computer does all of the grading. All the teacher has to do is print up the progress reports and such. So can someone please explain why the teacher says he can't possibly make sure 30 students (I think it is less than this but it's a number HE threw at me)...do their final exercise w/ the box over their hands? He doesn't do any other class, just computers! The guy has nothing to grade! He should have NO problems enforcing it. They do use computer time to work on major projects in other classes too. I also have issue with the fact that they can listen to "iTunes" instead of the instruction given via speaker for the Type to Learn lessons. They can choose from any type of music! I have asked about some of the songs their hear and I am not pleased.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Feb 25 2005, 09:50 AM
I don't understant. How can you have "free time" in computer class ? When you are in class there is no free time. I think you need to talk to somebody at the school to get to the bottom of this. Talk to the teacher itself. You know, kids don't always tell you how it really happened. I am surprised that a catholic school would even have a Dracula book to read. If you can read the book but not draw a picture they are in contradiction with themselve. But maybe the drawing itself of the picture was not the reason he got admonished. Maybe it's when he did it. As I said you need to talk to the teacher and get her/his side of the story.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37677
[/QUOTE]

agreed...what kind of catholic school bans Harry Potter but allows Dracula?!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I don't understand. Is he supposed to be "typing to learn" or drawing pictures during the computer class?

Based on my experience with two daughters who are in college/graduated from college, I would urge you to listen to the whole story from the teacher before you start asking questions or taking sides. Once you've heard his/her story then start asking questions of both the teacher and your child to try and get to the bottom of the thing. My girls didn't lie to me, but it was interesting how often they left out one key piece of info when telling a story. Sometimes I had to ask a lot of questions before the entire story came out.

PS. They are 20 and 22, have never gotten in any trouble, and still omit a piece of the story if it favors them. LOL

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 25 2005, 10:27 AM
I don't understand.  Is he supposed to be "typing to learn" or drawing pictures during the computer class? 

Based on my experience with two daughters who are in college/graduated from college, I would urge you to listen to the whole story from the teacher before you start asking questions or taking sides.  Once you've heard his/her story then start asking questions of both the teacher and your child to try and get to the bottom of the thing.  My girls didn't lie to me, but it was interesting how often they left out one key piece of info when telling a story.  Sometimes I had to ask a lot of questions before the entire story came out.

PS.  They are 20 and 22, have never gotten in any trouble, and still omit a piece of the story if it favors them.  LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37702
[/QUOTE]

they work at their own pace and they get the last so many minutes to themselves. So if he finishes his lessons and is "ahead" of the class..he's allowed more free time.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 25 2005, 11:27 AM
I don't understand.  Is he supposed to be "typing to learn" or drawing pictures during the computer class? 

Based on my experience with two daughters who are in college/graduated from college, I would urge you to listen to the whole story from the teacher before you start asking questions or taking sides.  Once you've heard his/her story then start asking questions of both the teacher and your child to try and get to the bottom of the thing.  My girls didn't lie to me, but it was interesting how often they left out one key piece of info when telling a story.  Sometimes I had to ask a lot of questions before the entire story came out.

PS.  They are 20 and 22, have never gotten in any trouble, and still omit a piece of the story if it favors them.  LOL

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37702
[/QUOTE]

This made me giggle...so true of most people...human nature..huh?!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya, I understand this syndrome but I have other kids and parents telling me that they are getting away w/ stuff and my son is constantly being watched like a hawk. The kids feel bad for him even....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just to give a warning i am very very baised on this topic so you proubly shouldnt take anything i say to seriously

I think i took this class you are talking about last year, mine was called computer applications. Basically you type pages and pages off stuff with something over the keyboard so you cant see the letters, we also wrote tons and tons of memos and stuff like that. It is actully a class you end up having free time in, although usually not a ton unless you are like a super fast typer (and if you son is always having to keep his keyboard covered is proubly isnt going as fast as the kids who can see the keyboard).

All of that stuff about freedom of speech, and expression and whatnot means nothing at a catholic school, they have nothing to do with the government and are not required to follow those type rules like government funded schools. While i cant tell you why someone said the Jesus picture was so wrong, i can very easily see someone getting in trouble for it. At a catholic school there are always going to be a few people on staff that are teacher there becuase they are very religous, and not to offend devoutly religous people out there but those people who are that into teacher religon that they made a career out of it usually dont take a joke about their religon very well. I personlly like that movie dogma, i have mentioned my old dog loki on here before
, but then again i have a stupid sence of humor.

The dracual picture, while i dont know the whole story so i dont know for sure, sounds like he was getting in trouble for just drawing the picture in teh first place then the teacher used the fact that it was a possibly offensive picture to make it sound a little worse.

You have to personly talk to the school, nothing will happen if you just leave you son to deal with it, (not that it sounds like you were planning to do tha anyways) most schools really wont make a change in how a class is taugh until the parents of the student start complaining, if you bugged the school enough you could proubly have the whole way that class is taugh changed....but its a private school so how much they listen to you is effected why how much time and money you donate the school, they never listened very much to my family

Ok so yeah i am really baised on this subject in case you didnt notice, i could go on about why i have a proublem with how catholic (proubly private in generaly but i cant say) schools are run but thats not what this topic is about so i wont, plus i start to sound kinda annoying lol

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya...that money thing...I am thinking they should be worried about us leaving the school b/c we represent a lot of money to them! Our oldest is in 6th grade but we have 3 girls behind him (3rd grade, 1st grade and the youngest will enter kindergarten this fall)...so we have quite a few more years of paying!! If we pull our kids, they will be missing 9 more years of payments from our family. That is over 25,000 from us! (ok, that's insane, someone tell me why again I am sending my kids to a catholic school?!)

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
That's a question only you can answer ! I would not have put my child in a catholic school and not in any religious school, period. But I am biased. I am very anti-religion.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Triste@Feb 25 2005, 12:31 PM
ya...that money thing...I am thinking they should be worried about us leaving the school b/c we represent a lot of money to them!  Our oldest is in 6th grade but we have 3 girls behind him (3rd grade, 1st grade and the youngest will enter kindergarten this fall)...so we have quite a few more years of paying!! If we pull our kids, they will be missing 9 more years of payments from our family. That is over 25,000 from us! (ok, that's insane, someone tell me why again I am sending my kids to a catholic school?!)

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37724
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha...I don't know...
I really should stay out of it, because I am PRO-public education...he he...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts