Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Maybe when you have your conference you can tell them he could be drawing MUCH worse...
Like a man raping a woman, got her pregnant, then raping the baby.. :eek:

Yes, this was a cartoon drawing that we took up from a seventh grader last week!

SO, I would take the Jesus drawing or the Vampire (esp. if they were reading the BOOK!) anyday!

What a crazy teacher!
Does she need to retire?! Sounds like one of ours who has out-taught her days and won't leave!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 25 2005, 11:27 AM
I don't understand.  Is he supposed to be "typing to learn" or drawing pictures during the computer class? 

Based on my experience with two daughters who are in college/graduated from college, I would urge you to listen to the whole story from the teacher before you start asking questions or taking sides.  Once you've heard his/her story then start asking questions of both the teacher and your child to try and get to the bottom of the thing.  My girls didn't lie to me, but it was interesting how often they left out one key piece of info when telling a story.  Sometimes I had to ask a lot of questions before the entire story came out.

PS.  They are 20 and 22, have never gotten in any trouble, and still omit a piece of the story if it favors them.  LOL

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37702
[/QUOTE]

This made me giggle...so true of most people...human nature..huh?!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Triste@Feb 25 2005, 12:31 PM
ya...that money thing...I am thinking they should be worried about us leaving the school b/c we represent a lot of money to them!  Our oldest is in 6th grade but we have 3 girls behind him (3rd grade, 1st grade and the youngest will enter kindergarten this fall)...so we have quite a few more years of paying!! If we pull our kids, they will be missing 9 more years of payments from our family. That is over 25,000 from us! (ok, that's insane, someone tell me why again I am sending my kids to a catholic school?!)

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37724
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha...I don't know...
I really should stay out of it, because I am PRO-public education...he he...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Feb 25 2005, 04:45 PM
Also keep in mind what I do tell parents at my parent teacher conferences...  I'll believe half of what your kids say about you if you'll believe half of what they say about me. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37813
[/QUOTE]

I taught with a Kindergarten teacher that told her parents that too!! I always thought it was hilarious!
I have never had the guts to say it to a parent...ha ha...but I don't get TOO many complaints...Praise the Lord!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Feb 26 2005, 09:16 PM
Well Said, Brit's Mom!  Elegant, I must agree with Brit.  In my educated opinion there is something terribly wrong about the systematization of children in our schools.  We expect mindless conformity, impose inflexible rules, and teach using ineffective, time-wasting pedagogies and curriculum that in no way prepares students for the real world, real thinking, or higher education. A good teacher would turn a dracula drawing or any other sign of creative thinking and student interest into the perfect opportunity for a "teaching moment".  A mediocre teacher penalizes and punishes, often due to the fact that s/he doesn't know how to teach outside the book.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38024
[/QUOTE]

I am REALLY trying to NOT take offense at this statement...but right now I am----

Trying to find a "tactful" way to reply

Maybe I should just stay out of this thread..

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Feb 26 2005, 10:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SylphidesMom
@Feb 26 2005, 09:16 PM
Well Said, Brit's Mom!  Elegant, I must agree with Brit.  In my educated opinion there is something terribly wrong about the systematization of children in our schools.  We expect mindless conformity, impose inflexible rules, and teach using ineffective, time-wasting pedagogies and curriculum that in no way prepares students for the real world, real thinking, or higher education. A good teacher would turn a dracula drawing or any other sign of creative thinking and student interest into the perfect opportunity for a "teaching moment".  A mediocre teacher penalizes and punishes, often due to the fact that s/he doesn't know how to teach outside the book.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38024
I am REALLY trying to NOT take offense at this statement...but right now I am----

Trying to find a "tactful" way to reply

Maybe I should just stay out of this thread..

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38037
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ya know...in the "ideal" teaching world you are probably right! We should all grasp those teachable moments and make something "real" out of them...but that is not ideal anymore! Now we have President Bush and his "No Child Left Behind" breathing down our back! We have required curriculum we have to teach...my principal comes around once a week to check my plan book to see that I am actually teaching the "tested" objectives for the state test. At the end of the testing period, my students' scores are posted in the local paper and compared with all the surrounding counties as well as ranked according to the scores of all the schools in the state. If Dracula and Jesus with a peace sign was not in my curriculum...and that was being done during my teaching time...then you are darn right that I would have taken it from him too! But, IF Dracula was being read by the students..maybe I would have hung up the cool picture on my bulletin board..same with the Jesus picture. Even though I am in public education, my kids are aware that I am a Christian, and I would have loved to give the student recognition for his excellent artistic abilities....I would have also reminded him that it needed to be done during free time. To this the child probably would have responded something about not having any in my class...b/c they rarely do...ha ha..

Anyway, in my next life...I would like to be able to teach in my ideal scenario! Unfortunately...that is not how it is today. Teachers have to conform to the governments' standards...(most coming from elected officials that have not set foot in a modern day classroom) that is why SO many people are either leaving the profession or not going near it to begin with! The expectations are too high, and the pay is too low!!!! I don't know many that could deal with the issues that I deal with on a daily basis and stay sane and sober!!! I am not tooting my own horn, I just know how hard my job is...things are SO different these days! Most people just don't realize it. -_-

Alright...coming down off my soapbox! I am sure I have more to add to this-but right now my head is spinning and I feel I am rambling!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Brit'sMom@Feb 26 2005, 08:58 PM
Peace Signs as Gang signs?  Come ON!  I have known (and no I am not PROUD of this) Crips, Bloods, Vislords, Gt's, Latin Kings, Hoover crips, Polywoods, ect ect and NONE of their gang signs are "Peace Signs".

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38019
[/QUOTE]

Actually...kids can make up gang signs at any given time...we have issues every few weeks in which the students are trying to "express" themselves. You never know what they are going to come up with. It doesn't have to be a nationally recognized symbol if they have made up their own group.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 27 2005, 12:23 AM
I'm not a K-12 educator; I'm a parent.  I believe that parents should be advocates for their children.  When asked for opinions, the consensus was that a parent should LISTEN to all sides of the story before jumping to conclusions or takings sides.  I still believe that this should be the first step in resolution of conflict. To my knowledge, this step was not taken.  I would be very curious to hear the outcome of that conference. 

I also believe that thoughtful discussion and sometimes disagreement is healthy.  To get mad when one feels they are not feeling supported is childish.  Sorry.  Don't ask for opinions and then get mad when there is disagreement.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38061
[/QUOTE]

I believe this is the point that the educators were trying to make. It just seems like so many people are so quick to take the child's side without hearing the whole story. This happens SO much! It leaves the teachers defensive...which is exactly what most of us were being...defensive for a teacher we don't even know...ha ha...

It is AMAZING how many times I get calls from parents (just got one SATURDAY morning...yes, a parent called my HOME on a Saturday!
) that are fighting mad, ready to tear my head off...and once they realize the way the story REALLY happened, or the classroom policy behind the supposed "injustice"...they completely do a turn-around. I NEVER get mad at the parent for standing up for the child and questioning something in his/her best interest. (only aggravated when they approach it in a rude and accusing manner.
) I get angry at the STUDENT for either omitting pertinent information or twisting the story to benefit him/herself and leaving the teacher to take the heat for a mistake he/she made.

I myself am a parent, and you better believe that I look out for the best interest of my own skin kids! I would question any parent who was aware of an injustice and did not question it...

I don't know...
I am rambling....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Triste@Feb 27 2005, 08:57 AM
And the IF in that "IF the kids were allowed to read Dracula"...it's true. It is on the 6th grade reading list. You can choose to believe me or not. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38085
[/QUOTE]

I am the one that said that...and I never intended for it to come across as if I didn't believe you!
I was only trying to make my OWN point with the capitals. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.