Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this very interesting article about vaccines and the frequency of them.. And it bothered me on how "we" as loving parents are trapped into this kind of situations due to laws that are only generalized and recommended for dogs and cats in general.

Pet Vaccinations

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting articles. I´ve thought along these lines for years, i.e. why should only cats and dogs need these annual boosters? And for diseases that they´re immune to now? Well, depending on where I´ve lived, the vets differ. When I lived in England, my long-term vet was great and very open-minded about vaccinations. In Brazil they weren´t too bad. There was even one year when the free rabies jab had killed a number of dogs, and the gov recalled it. There were no more rabies jabs for a couple of years after that, and I don´t recall any problems due to it not being administered. But, then, it is a hit-and-miss thing anyway, as they visit farmsteads and if the folks are out, the dogs don´t get done. Each year loads of dogs must get overlooked. There´s no epidemic that I know of.....

However, here in Portugal the vets I´ve met so far are so programmed, you can´t reason with them. And as for the rabies jab, they have to have it each year by law in order for you to renew the annual dog licence. A real battle. Of course, those wandering the streets don´t get vaccinated.........only the precious pooches.
I´m dreading the confrontation over late boosters, as I know I´m going to get yet another lecture......

·
Super Moderator
10,107 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts