Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sassy is having problems and I'm scared to death. I'm taking her to the vet the minute that I can get them on the phone tomorrow morning. Here is what is happening.....

I was in Jackson at my daughter's condo all last week. Everything was fine on Tuesday morning. I fed the dogs and then left to Christmas shop. I was gone 2 hours and returned to the condo. Usually Sassy is the one who is barking like a nut when I come home. She barks long and shrilly until I pick her up. This time she didn't bark at all - she just stood there looking at me. I stayed home for a few hours and she seemed kind of lethargic. She was eating OK, peeing, pooping, etc. I left again for less than an hour and returned home and she didn't even come to the door. The next morning she seemed better, but didn't shoot out of her crate when I opened the door. I called the vet at 8:00AM (a vet that I didn't know) and had her in there in an hour. The vet was very nice and listened to heart, lungs, looked in ears, eyes, etc. He noted a pop in one of her hind legs and seemed surprised when I asked if it was luxating patella. This was the first time that THAT had been mentioned. I was pretty freaked out, but he gave her Rimydal (sp??) twice a day. So off we went. I thought she might be getting better, but every time I give her the meds she throws up. I am noticing that she seems pretty unsteady on her feet, but once she gets going she doesn't seem to favor a leg. (The vet had her walk around and didn't notice a problem either) Sometimes she yelps when we pick her up (very gingerly!). The thing that really worries me is that she isn't getting better. She is throwing up undigested food even after 10 or 12 hours. She is still peeing and pooping, but something is very wrong. She trembles and stands there like she is in a trance. Then she kind of falls over. The Sassy of a week ago was always ready to play. She was like a mountain goat, climbing all over us. She fought me combing her hair. The Sassy today doesn't play at all. She lets me comb her without a fuss. I feel like screaming because this is so NOT normal. I am terrified. She is 18 months old. She just looks up at me with those big eyes like she is asking me to help her.

Thanks for listening. I like my vet, but they have got to see her first thing. If they can't I'll find someone who can and I'm not leaving there with someone telling me to keep watching her. Something is wrong and I know it. I'll let you know. Pray for us....

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am so worried for Sassy! I hope that everything turns out all right... She sounds like maybe she has that Shaker Syndrome (ask one of the actually knowledgeable vet people, like LadyM or somebody) ... I hope your vet can see you both ASAP!!

Big hugs and nose licks from Jacky boy too...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Oh my goodness. It's awful when they are sick and can't tell you what's wrong! Poor baby. I'm so sorry Sassy isn't feeling well. Let us know what happens at the vet.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Poor little Sassy. I hope she feels better and vet is able to make her better! In retrospect, have you noticed anything out of the ordinary with her over the past week or month? Anything that stands out? It concerns me that you said she stands there like in a trance and then falls over--that sounds like a seizure.

Please let us know as soon as possible what the vet says! In the meantime, Toby and I are sending good thoughts your way and Toby sends Sassy lots of wet kisses!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I am so very sorry for you and Sassy. I can only imagine how worried you are about her.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Carla & Shotzi

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OMG, Susan, I was so shocked to get up this morning and see your post. I'm wondering if it started out with her knee bothering her and then the Rimadyl is upsetting her stomach? Oh, I will hope and pray that the vet figures out what is wrong right away and that she will be on the road to recovery today. Please keep us posted... this is very upsetting...

Here is a web site with drug info. It was one that LadyMontava had referred us to once before ....

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_rimadyl.html

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Poor Sassy!!!!

I wonder if maybe she is having a bad reaction to the pain meds?
I think that is what Brink was on before when he hurt his leg, and I didn't notice that it bothered him any....but maybe she is allergic to it or something crazy like that?

I hope you find an answer soon and that it is just something minor.
Big hugs to you and Sassy!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Omg poor little Sassy
I hope it isn't anything serious, please keep us posted on her progess, I will be thinking about both you and Sassy

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. Ihope she gets well soon. TAKE CARE

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Your post made me sick to my stomach. I know you are terrified. Don't let anyone tell you just to watch her. No one knows Sassy better than you and you know she is not right. Keep pushing for answers. I am praying that she will back to her sweet self very soon.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Oh Im so sorry sweet Sassy isnt feeling her normal spunky self.Please let us know what you find out.Big
for the both of you.Many prayers sent your way

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I am so sorry Sassy isn't feeling well. I know how scared you must feel. Please keep us posted as to how she is and what you find out at the vets. Big hugs to you both.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts