Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sit and wonder where the fun of being a kid has gone. Long gone are the days where the kid can go to Kindergarten and ease into school. BAM they are expected to KNOW their ABC's, how to write their name, how to tie their shoes. That is stuff I learned DURING my year in kindergarten. No longer can we include treats in our Valentine's Day cards b/c the school is fearful of allergies (ok, so can't we just say no nuts b/c that is the strongest allergy it seems, and then give each class a list of allergies? I dunno..) and no longer can we bring in birthday treats.
It's all business now. It's so sad.
Makes me thankful I was in school 20 yrs ago versus now. Sure, we dealt w/ spankings in school...paddlings...but hey, we all made it didn't we?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow, ure school is pretty strict.
We can still bring in home made treats like Muffin's and cookies. Matter of fact the whole school just love's it when I bake at home because they KNOW I bring some in.
We are in a small District tho ,we dont have too much crime and stuff going on.

Wish our school was more strikter in a lot of things..but they let slide a LOT. So matter of fact we are looking for a private or Charter school as I am typing this.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Schatzi@Jan 26 2005, 07:11 AM
Wow, ure school is pretty strict.
We can still bring in home made treats like Muffin's and cookies. Matter of fact the whole school just love's it when I bake at home because they KNOW I bring some in.
We are in a small District tho ,we dont have too much crime and stuff going on.

Wish our school was more strikter in a lot of things..but they let slide a LOT. So matter of fact we are looking for a private or Charter school as I am typing this.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31562
[/QUOTE]

oops I forgot to include something else...this week is "no name calling" week for many schools. A group of kids in my son's grade (6th) was joking around (nothing vulgar or cursewords or anything) and I guess a kid not involved in the talk went and tattled. So w/out asking what was going on, the teacher invoked afterschools for those involved(thankfully not my son). Now, come on ..the kids were laughing and having a good time and not involving anyone else...just having some fun. Why an AFTERSCHOOL? If you thought they were being disrespectful to what was being asked of them, how about a name on board, or a noon detention?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
huh, that is sad. My mom and all of my aunts are hair dressers, and I remember for one of my first presentations I brought my mom and two aunts in and I demonstrated 3 different french braids. I bet that wouldn't fly now-a-days!
I understand being paranoid, but are older people so out of control that schools are making such strong efforts to try to "stop things before they happen?" or push increadably hard on younger people?

I also agree it is sad what is expected of young young children...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am an education student in Grad school and I must reply to this that most if not all of these things come down from either the federal government or the state. I suggest all parents (and non-parents -- who knows when you might be a parent) to get involved with the government that dictates your school. This can be locally or by researching bills and writing letters to your congress member.

So much of the pressure put on the students (like needing to know ABCs before starting school) is the testing ordered by the federal government (with "No Child Left Behind"). In my state the 3rd graders must take a test in Feb of their thrid grade year. This tests over everything they have learned in K, 1, 2, 3. Even though 3rd grade is not finished they are tested over the whole year -- most kids start out in K behind if they do not know all these things. If they do not pass this test they do not advance to the next grade. That is so much pressure for the poor little kids. This also dictates how much money the school gets and if the teachers keep their jobs. It is amazing how much we are expecting out of 7/8 year olds. And this is just one test. What if they are having a bad day???

Sorry...I will get off my soap box but I do encourage EVERYONE to get involved in the policy making within your schools.

Nicolle

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nicolle916@Jan 26 2005, 10:27 AM
I am an education student in Grad school and I must reply to this that most if not all of these things come down from either the federal government or the state.  I suggest all parents (and non-parents -- who knows when you might be a parent) to get involved with the government that dictates your school.  This can be locally or by researching bills and writing letters to your congress member. 

So much of the pressure put on the students (like needing to know ABCs before starting school) is the testing ordered by the federal government (with "No Child Left Behind").  In my state the 3rd graders must take a test in Feb of their thrid grade year.  This tests over everything they have learned in K, 1, 2, 3.  Even though 3rd grade is not finished they are tested over the whole year -- most kids start out in K behind if they do not know all these things.  If they do not pass this test they do not advance to the next grade.  That is so much pressure for the poor little kids.  This also dictates how much money the school gets and if the teachers keep their jobs.  It is amazing how much we are expecting out of 7/8 year olds.  And this is just one test.  What if they are having a bad day??? 

Sorry...I will get off my soap box but I do encourage EVERYONE to get involved in the policy making within your schools.

Nicolle

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31608
[/QUOTE]

I am glad that you have said this...very well done...I was contemplating a way to reply that did not sound like I was taking the offensive...but I guess in a way I am. I love my job teaching, and there is NOTHING that I ever thought I would want to do except teach. But, unfortunately, I don't JUST get to teach...
I often tell my husband, and somtimes my students-that ONE day...just ONE...I would like to feel like I am TEACHING...and not playing babysitter or referee....

In many cases, we as teachers are doing the parents' jobs, as well as trying to teach the required curriculum. There is no accountablity for parents, but yet..I am held accountable for 100+ students to make sure they make their expected gains on the standardized tests from year to year. This task would not seem so insurmountable if I could come to school and TEACH and not mess with the other junk. But the teachers and administrators are the ones that are pressured to make sure the students perform-not the parents. No one prints the parents' names in the papers that NEVER sign a progress report, report card, or attend a parent/teacher conference...yet my students' cumulative test scores are published annually in the local and surrounding counties' papers. When they don't make the grade...nobody looks to the students or the parents, they look to the teacher for answers. We are expected to be miracle workers or something.

Most teachers I know, including myself, are not in agreement with these practices. Many are leaving the profession for this very reason. I don't plan to leave any time soon because I believe I am good at my job and that SOMEHOW I can make a difference...even if it is only in one student a year...
Anyway, I guess my whole point in this rambling is..yes...there are high expectations put on the students, but it is a result of the expectations put on the teachers and administrators.

Ok...off my soapbox too...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm not a teacher, but I am a parent of two grown children. My closest friend is the best teacher I've ever seen. Do you remember when we (those of us that are 40 something) were in school? The teacher was always right and the parents always took the teacher's side? Mine sure did. If I got in trouble at school, I got in trouble again at home. Not anymore. Parents (some parents) think that their kids can do no wrong so it must be someone else's fault - the teacher, the school, the friends, etc. You wouldn't believe the time that my friend spends smoothing ruffled feathers of parents whose kids are screwing around. But they don't believe that perfect little Jennifer or Matthew could possible be doing anything wrong. And this is a lesson that these kids take right into life. No accountability by parents or kids. Its a real shame.

But to reply to the original post - yes, I think its sad that there are so many rules and restrictions on everything. Complaining parents are probably to blame for a lot of it, though. I guess school districts are scared to death of law suits.

JMO

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Jan 26 2005, 12:02 PM
I'm not a teacher, but I am a parent of two grown children.  My closest friend is the best teacher I've ever seen.  Do you remember when we (those of us that are 40 something) were in school?  The teacher was always right and the parents always took the teacher's side?  Mine sure did.  If I got in trouble at school, I got in trouble again at home.  Not anymore.  Parents (some parents) think that their kids can do no wrong so it must be someone else's fault - the teacher, the school, the friends, etc.  You wouldn't believe the time that my friend spends smoothing ruffled feathers of parents whose kids are screwing around.  But they don't believe that perfect little Jennifer or Matthew could possible be doing anything wrong.  And this is a lesson that these kids take right into life.  No accountability by parents or kids.  Its a real shame.

But to reply to the original post - yes, I think its sad that there are so many rules and restrictions on everything.  Complaining parents are probably to blame for a lot of it, though.  I guess school districts are scared to death of law suits.

JMO
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31648
[/QUOTE]

Even for those of us that are younger than 40's...it was the same way when I was in school...I guess that is why it is SO hard for me to handle the way some of the parents and kids are today...it is just SO different from when I was in school.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by tlunn+Jan 26 2005, 11:07 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Jan 26 2005, 12:02 PM
I'm not a teacher, but I am a parent of two grown children.  My closest friend is the best teacher I've ever seen.  Do you remember when we (those of us that are 40 something) were in school?  The teacher was always right and the parents always took the teacher's side?  Mine sure did.  If I got in trouble at school, I got in trouble again at home.  Not anymore.  Parents (some parents) think that their kids can do no wrong so it must be someone else's fault - the teacher, the school, the friends, etc.  You wouldn't believe the time that my friend spends smoothing ruffled feathers of parents whose kids are screwing around.  But they don't believe that perfect little Jennifer or Matthew could possible be doing anything wrong.  And this is a lesson that these kids take right into life.  No accountability by parents or kids.  Its a real shame.

But to reply to the original post - yes, I think its sad that there are so many rules and restrictions on everything.  Complaining parents are probably to blame for a lot of it, though.  I guess school districts are scared to death of law suits.

JMO
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31648

Even for those of us that are younger than 40's...it was the same way when I was in school...I guess that is why it is SO hard for me to handle the way some of the parents and kids are today...it is just SO different from when I was in school.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31650
[/B][/QUOTE]

Jeez, I guess I am outnumbered. I just want my kids to still have fun..and I think the school is NITPICKING at things now. It's ridiculous. Not only does the state mandate so many requirements..the kids have no outlet for themselves at school. It's a sad sad day when the kids can't have some release.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to add that you are making a generalization about parents. I know there are good teachers out there...but there are bad ones as well and I will not take whatever a teacher says as strictly true. I will never agree to what a teacher says as 100% until I hear all sides. Teachers do what they can but they can also facilitate in making the kids have FUN while learning. Too much pressure can make these kids implode. I have never once been dellusional about my kids' behavior...no child is perfect and I agree w/ the punishment usually...but an afterschool for something of the nature I described is a bit extreme. I had one teacher tell the kids that they weren't their to be their friend...Ok, so maybe that's true but don't you think there is a nicer way of saying it? There HAS to be a balance. Parents know their kids well and if some (note I say SOME) teachers would listen to what a parent is trying to say...then perhaps the best result for the child will happen.

oh, and I do think that sometimes the punishments ARE too harsh for what the incident is. Ya I agree they need order but not straightjackets

·
Registered
894 Posts
BLESS THE TEACHERS.....
due to government (Feds and State) our poor teachers are teaching to a "test" objective. In many districts nationwide our teachers jobs are on the line if the students don't "perform". The teachers now days are not just able to TEACH, they also have to be diciplinarians due to the poor parental upbringing many children have now days. They have to be the "confidant" because many of our children have no one to talk to when they get home. They have to be the "nurturer" as many of our children are "raised" in day care centers. They have to be, psychologists, nurses, referee's, supply children in the classrooms with pencils, paper, crayons etc because the schools can no longer afford to provide those things to children that need them. Yes, BLESS THE TEACHERS and all those parents that get involved in their schools. I thank goodness my "baby" is 25 and OUT of school. I would never want to be a teacher in today's society and keep those that do in my prayers.

Yes, our children have to grow up fast, and no, life is not as fun as it use to be, but the world as it is is not what it once was. Sorry, another sore subject with the Granny here

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Triste@Jan 26 2005, 01:06 PM
I just wanted to add that you are making a generalization about parents. I know there are good teachers out there...but there are bad ones as well and I will not take whatever a teacher says as strictly true. I will never agree to what a teacher says as 100% until I hear all sides. Teachers do what they can but they can also facilitate in making the kids have FUN while learning. Too much pressure can make these kids implode. I have never once been dellusional about my kids' behavior...no child is perfect and I agree w/ the punishment usually...but an afterschool for something of the nature I described is a bit extreme.  I had one teacher tell the kids that they weren't their to be their friend...Ok, so maybe that's true but don't you think there is a nicer way of saying it? There HAS to be a balance. Parents know their kids well and if some (note I say SOME) teachers would listen to what a parent is trying to say...then perhaps the best result for the child will happen.

oh, and I do think that sometimes the punishments ARE too harsh for what the incident is.  Ya I agree they need order but not straightjackets
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31656
[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to generalize
!Oh believe me...there are still GREAT parents out there...and I PRAISE them whenever I get the opportunity...and the funny thing is...you can almost pick out the students that have the involved and caring parents in a heartbeat...

I know your son is junior high, so this is from the junior high perspective-It IS possible to still have fun and cover the objectives, it just takes some extra preparation and creativity on the teachers' parts. Many times the kids are much more responsive to the more interesting/creative lessons. BUT-I know many teachers...(and sometimes I feel the same way)...say that often times, the students' behavior during a less structured activity ruins the fun/learning aspect of it, and they nix it because it is not worth having to deal with the discipline problems. Also, I don't know about all states and school systems...but in our schools, the students still have an outlet of PE or playtime at least once a day in the elementary and junior high.

I also agree that there are awful teachers out there too...I am quite familiar with some. The kids don't have a chance...I get to hear the complaints from the kids about it quite often...it is really hard sometimes to keep my mouth shut and just listen to them when I know they have legitimate complaints. I just tell them to take it up with the principal or guidance counselor...I can listen, but I can't take sides. My students don't always agree with my decisions about classroom rules/procedures/consequences...but they are aware of the expectations, whether they agree with them or not...and they know that above all, I am FAIR and CONSISTENT...and especially with junior high kids, this is VERY important. I am also not afraid to change the rules and expectations in mid-stream if something is not working. Every group of students is different and what works for one year, may not work for another.

I do agree that the punishment for the name calling etc., did seem a little over the top, but not knowing what else had been going on-it is really hard to tell. Maybe there had been major instances of this recently...and it had already been addressed? Maybe not, and she just over-reacted. In either case, I would not have punished solely on the word of "hear-say". Most of the time, if I don't see it/hear it/catch it...with my very own eyes/ears...then I don't dole out individual punishment. Sometimes, a student will honestly confess when questioned, but most of the time they just cover their tails to keep themselves out of trouble..ha ha..

I laughed at the "I am not here to be your friend" statement...because I have told my kids before that I am not there to win a popularity contest, that I am there to be their teacher, and that I am adult and they must respect that. Most of my students respect and like me-which is a GREAT feeling, but I don't lose sleep at night over the ones that don't. Most of the ones on that list are the ones that are constant problems and I am on there case about one thing or another all the time.
I guess the respect, or lack of it..is one of the major problems that I have to deal with...and I don't deal with it well at all. Part of how I was raised too! But last year, I had a student call me a B**** out loud in class because he was talking constantly during instruction. After 3 warnings, I finally asked him to move to another seat. He got mad (as if I had been unfair
) and called me a "B****"! The other kids gasped! :eek: I saw FLAMES!
I sent him OUT! I was so angry I was shaking, I couldn't even fill out the discipline report. He got in-school-suspension for three days for it...and I never got an apology.

This year, when I was giving the rules to the classes at the beginning, I added that to my list of things that they "shouldn't do"!
I tell them they can THINK whatever they want, but that it CANNOT leave their mouths! Ha ha...

Anyway, I understand your frustrations...it sounds like you are caring and involved

1 - 13 of 13 Posts