Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noriko has been shaking. It looks as though she's scared or cold but she's not. She'd even shake/tremble when she's happy. I'm not exactly sure when this began, but noticed it first this past Saturday. My bf said that she fell a lil ways down the steps at my aunt's place, but we dont know if she was trembling and then fell or if she fell and then the trembling began. At first, we just thought she was scared of something because she gets scared so easily. But she's been shaking all the time. The only time she doesnt is when she's laying down. Even at rest, she'd jerk at times. It's very sad to see. And the other day she was walking down the stairs and she fell half ways down the stairs. It was the worst thing to see. It was like a stuff doll being thrown down the stiars.

I went to the vet yesterday and he couldnt figure out what the problem was. He said she doesnt seem to be in pain. Temperature and heartrate are a lil high but not enough to worry. He gave us an option to either put her on Valium for a few days or do bloodwork. We opted for the Valium since it's cheaper and then if it doesnt work, then she will have bloodwork done.

The Dr. even showed her to 2 other doctors there but they didnt know too much about the shaker syndrome. They said it was a rare disease. I bet us SMer's know more about the disease then them(because we own lil white dogs). The other possible problems are liver shunt, toxic/poison, kidney infection and probably more.

It's so frustrating to NOT know what is wrong even after the doctor's visit.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
that TOTALLY sucks!!
but wouldnt the bloodwork automatically tell you its something with the liver or kidneys? have you spoken to jaimie? she totally helped me out when gruffi was losing hair.

i hope noriko isnt totally sick.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Here are a few links about white shaker dog syndrome. You're right, it is a genetic disease in Maltese:

http://www.maltesedogs.com/white_shaker_dog_syndrome.htm

http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/200...ing/tremors.htm

I sure wouldn't rush into that dx, though. Since poor Noriko just had a fall, did your vet rule out a neurological cause? Loss of balance and falling down the stairs could mean she has a head or back injury.

I know Noriko is small and your vet was worried about liver problems a while back, but her bloodwork was fine pre-spay right? Did he do any bloodwork today? And a toxicicology screen? To make sure she didn't get into any poison?

Trembling and loss of equilibrium isn't normal. You may find that Valium makes it worse. My Lady has to get valium after seizures and it makes her really drunk.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I am by no means an expert here, but did the vet check for broken bones? A slightly elevated temp might be caused by a break. And the shaking could be associated with pain. I sure hope she will be ok.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
BC&N said that they checked over almost every bone in Noriko's body to make sure she wasn't in pain anywhere. Everything was fine.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I sure hope your baby does not have this shaker syndrome. It so hard watching them go thougt it... and you can't do anything to help.

My first maltese missy had it...but it was treatable. The hardest part was finding out what she had. Our vet also put her on valium. For missy the valium helped, only she went to the bath room alot and I mean a lot. She was already in the drunken stage without the valium and walking in to walls , tables going around and round in circles. Oh and she growled at everyone in the worst way. She would shake a lot too. The valium stoped it and it would only happen a few times in the summer after that. Eventurally I only had to give her vitamines and she came off the Valium. I guess for each dog it is different.
She still got sesuirs maybe twice in the summer. In between the seziers she was back to normal. Just keep a close eye on your puppy so she does not bump into things.

Please keep us posted

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear about Noriko...hope you find out what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jul 27 2005, 02:00 PM
BC&N said that they checked over almost every bone in Noriko's body to make sure she wasn't in pain anywhere.  Everything was fine.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85040
[/QUOTE]
I didn't see that in her post...she just said they didn't think she was in pain. I can tell you from experience with my cat, she had a broken rib bone which caused her to shake. When she was examined by the vet (we now use a different vet) they didn't find anything. Two days later she started to run a fever and they called for a scan. That's when they found the fractured rib. I sure hope the poor little thing will be ok.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty+Jul 27 2005, 01:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jul 27 2005, 02:00 PM
BC&N said that they checked over almost every bone in Noriko's body to make sure she wasn't in pain anywhere.  Everything was fine.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85040
I didn't see that in her post...she just said they didn't think she was in pain. I can tell you from experience with my cat, she had a broken rib bone which caused her to shake. When she was examined by the vet (we now use a different vet) they didn't find anything. Two days later she started to run a fever and they called for a scan. That's when they found the fractured rib. I sure hope the poor little thing will be ok.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85051
[/B][/QUOTE]
I was talking to her on IM and she told me that. Sorry should have mentioned that.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I would opt for the bloodwork first, medicating a dog for the wrong reasons could worsen the situation, I dont know how much your vet would charge, I think ours is 30.00 for bloodwork, is Noriko walking with any limp or hesitant to go up/down stairs? keep us updated, I hope everything is well

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Jul 27 2005, 01:52 PM
I would opt for the bloodwork first, medicating a dog for the wrong reasons could worsen the situation, I dont know how much your vet would charge, I think ours is 30.00 for bloodwork, is Noriko walking with any limp or hesitant to go up/down stairs? keep us updated, I hope everything is well
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85066
[/QUOTE]

Bloodwork here is about $30, too. I agree with Joe about getting that done asap just to rule some things out.

Valium is no answer. As I said, Lady has to get it after seizures to prevent cluster seizures and it makes her very wobbly and dizzy. It's going to just make Noriko's symptoms that much worse and won't tell you anything at all about what is going on.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The girls send good wishes to Noriko. I hope she gets better soon.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts