Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I want to first thank everyone for all their comment and posting on this site, I have learned so much and picked up a tremendous amount of ideas of how we are going to train our new little guy when we finally get him. My fiancé and I are going to be new Maltese owners in mid May; we are excited we are getting a little boy
My question is does anyone know if it would raise an issue to get two pups from the same litter…either two boys or a girl and a boy?
I was told by a coworker that it is not wise to have two boys from the same litter they will not get along at all. I have never heard that this can be an issue, my fiancé’s mom would have gotten two from the same litter but the other Maltese was sold before she decided, the breeder did not have an issue with the idea. We were considering getting two so they can play and be home together …anyone have any experiences or comments about this?
Thanks in advance, and I look forward to more great info and feedback on this board. It was a great find for us

A&N

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Warm Welcomes!

I don't really see anything wrong with bringing home 2 babies in one litter. It sounds like a wonderful idea. They've already bonded and you're bringing a piece of home or comfort and they wont feel scared and lonely at their new home. The only reason why I think it may be bad because they're from the same litter and they may be the same size and one has to be the alpha. However, you never know what size they're going to be even if they come from the same litter. I'm sure that if the 2 you pick didnt get along the breeder would not approve of it. Maybe you should ask your breeder which 2 gets along the best.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Ant Nay+Mar 29 2005, 09:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Mar 29 2005, 09:37 PM
May I ask...... have you owned (or been owned by) a Maltese before?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47343

This will be our first Maltese.....My Finace was in a home with a Maltese for the last 9 years
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47347
[/B][/QUOTE]
The reason I asked is that having a Maltese puppy can be an overwhelming experience for someone who isn't used to the breed.... there are always posts on SM from new owners about biting when playing, biting at clothes, not eating, not sleeping, potty training, etc. These issues can be magnified if there are two Maltese puppies in the home, when the owner is inexperienced with the breed. Since your fiance has experience with the breed, it might be easier for you.

For me, personally, I think getting two puppies would just be so overhwelming. They are so needy and want to be held and loved all the time. I can't imagine trying to fulfill the emotional needs of two at the same time... but maybe with the two of you it would be easier than with a single person such as myself.

I loved having a little space between the ages of Kallie and Catcher. I was able to give Kallie tons of attention as a baby and then once she was all settled at two years, I got Catcher. He was much easier to handle as a puppy and I think some of the reason is that he had his big sister to copy. Kallie was not my first Maltese but I still found raising a puppy to be a big job.

Well, best wishes on whatever you decide.... we're here to help in any way possible....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
the only problem with having two puppies at a time....is that they will get close to eachother---and not you.
honestly, puppies are a pain in the butt...so its a lot easier to have just one....wait like 6 months or longer and get the second. or at least train the first one so that the first one can show the second one the "rules".

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

I have no advice on the two puppy issue. Sounds fun and tiring to me!
I would go for it if you have done your research and know what you are getting into!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I have two puppies from the same litter, BUT, I got them at different times. As everyone here already knows, I got Sadie first (for my daughter) and fell madly in love. When Sadie's littermate, Sassy, failed to make it to the show ring I got her too. These puppies are not my first dogs and I stay home during the day. I've heard that it is easier to have two dogs when a couple works during the day, but I don't know this for sure. Since mine came several months apart, I'm no expert, but MY dogs have not bonded with each other to the exclusion of everyone else. Yes, they play together, they wear each other out, but they are always ready to sit on a lap or have a snuggle. They have different personalities, but both are pretty calm. Sadie is more independent and Sassy is very people oriented. I will say this, though, it is very hard to teach one puppy when the other one is dancing around. Luckily my girls are pretty good except for the barking like maniacs every time someone knocks on the door. Are you absolutely set on two, or could you just get one and try that out and then acquire another later on? I think that having two is really fun, but for a first dog I might consider just one.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Two puppies would be a blast! I would have loved to get Lucy's brother, but my parents didn't go for it :lol: Good luck with your decision and

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Mar 29 2005, 09:06 PM
the only problem with having two puppies at a time....is that they will get close to eachother<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47358
[/QUOTE]
Well....she DID say that's the reason why she wanted 2.

There's a pro and con to the whole potty training discussion.
Pro: You get the training over with at once.
Con: If there is an accident in the house, you have no clue who did it!
Pro and Con: They pick up each other's habits.

I said it before, there were afew times were I wished we didn't get Noriko so soon (1 month after Cloud). But I love her and she was meant to be with us. These were my first puppies EVER! So I don't even know how it feels to have 1. But having 1 isnt easy either. :/

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
A general rule of thumb is that it's best to get a second dog after the first one is trained (potty, manners, etc.) since puppies are just like kids - they will pick up bad habits from one another. An older dog (say a year old) who is potty trained and well mannered will set a good example for the other one.

Many pairs/littermates end up rescue for that very reason. Instead of double the fun, their owners got twice as much "trouble" and ended up with two adult dogs who weren't housebroken and had behavior issues.

It can also be very expensive that first year with the cost of shots, spaying and neutering all done together. It can also be very expensive as the dogs age since seniors typically (especially Maltese) can run up some pretty hefty vet bills. Having two dogs close in age can mean double the senior vet bills.

Speaking of vet bills, how thoroughly have you checked this breeder out? Did she do genetic testing on both parents to make sure no hereditary diseases were passed on to these puppies? Have they had bile acid tests for liver function?

Maltese are prone to luxating patellas and liver shunts, among other things. Knee surgery runs into the thousands, liver shunt surgery is about $3,000. You defiantely want to make sure these puppies are genetically sound BEFORE getting one, but especially 2 from this breeder. 2 dogs needing knee surgery at the same time could cost you $4,000!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on the new puppy/puppies.

As much fun as 2 puppies sound I would recommend waiting on a second one. Puppies are a lot of work. I know there have been times that I've about gone nuts. I would start with 1 puppy and then wait about a year before you get another. That way the first puppy gets lots of attention and you can train it. By the time you get the second one the first is more indepent so you can focus a little more on the second.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Welcome!

Tini is my first dog "on my own". My roommate bought her brother, so we had a boy and girl from the same litter. It was quite the experience. I would say the only bad part was the potty training. It was really frustrating when you didn't know who did it. But it became easier to tell once you got used to "how they pee'd". Tini's would be a circle, and Milo's would be more of a line, like he was shooting

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hello and welcome to SM!! We're glad you found us. You will learn something new everyday here. I am a new Maltese owner and have to say, that I would not get 2 at the same time. For me, I don't know if I would EVER get 2, but that is just me. Sisse is a handful right now and I cannot imagine what it would be like with 2 of her and all the "puppy" issues we have and are still going through. Whatever you decide I wish you years of happiness with your puppy/puppies!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree with everyone in this thread! There are pros and cons to having two puppies the same age at the same time. I also agree with Marj about the vet bills. Even if this is the best breeder in the world it will still be alot of money to get two sets of puppy shots and two neuters or spays at the same time. If money isn't a problem (witch I assume it's not since you can even afford two Malts at the same time!) then the training issue and behavioral problems comes into the picture. Like everyone said, puppies are a handful and having two will double the troubles. I wouldn't want to see these two end up in rescue because you get overwhelmed. And I wouldn't want to see you all stressed out with them because you are overwhelmed.
I would suggest getting one puppy and then if you love the breeder go back to them when they have their next litter to get another puppy after your first puppy is trained and done with all it's puppy shots and neuter. Then you will have cousins (or still siblings if the breeder has the male and female and breeds the two again). Of course no one here can really make your mind up for you. We are just here to try and give you the facts, and share our experiences so that you can make a well informed decision on your own.
Good luck with your little bundle(s) of Joy!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hello and welcome to SM.What an exciting time for you.I have never heard of any problems with have two babies from the same litter before.Sounds to me like a wondeful idea.But keep in mind........Having two furbabies is not much different than having two skinbabies.Double expense.Double time.Double everything.And double the love and kisses!!
Good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts