Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!!! Ok, here is the situation, my boyfriend just bought me a teacup maltese (even though I know teacup is not a breed but more of a gimmick used by breeders...but she is not supposed to be more than 4 lbs upon maturity, so for the sake of discussion....I'll call her a teacup)...and she is being flown in on May 24th. When Bambi arrives, she will be about 8 weeks old, and I am predicting no more than 1-2 lbs (maybe???)...so here are my questions...

1) When can I give her her first bath?

2) What are your thoughts on pee-pad training vs. litter box training?

3) Do I need to feed her wet food while she is still young, or can I just start her off with kibble?

4) I hear everyone say that a maltese should be socialized with people and other dogs right away, but if she doesn't have all of her vaccinations yet, how can I do that? Can I take her around my friend's dog who is completely vaccinated?

5) What age is the youngest that I can spay her (I want to get it out of the way before she goes into heat and starts humping furniture and guests legs
)

And finally...

6) I slicker brush and a pin brush...which ones should I use where?

That's all....for now!!
Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Awww, congrats on the new little one!
That is very exciting! I think we gave Caesar his first bath like the day after we got him...I think anyway(it was over a year ago
). He is pee pad trained. It works great. When we trained him, he got a cheerio each time he pottied on the pad. :D You can also buy Simple Solutions puppy training aide, and it helps them know where to potty at. It does not have a smell at all either (to us anyway, obviously does for the puppies). SHe should be fine with the dry kibble, maybe find out what the breeder is/was feeding her. I would probably not bring her around other dogs until she is vaccinated. Even if they are vaccinated, they can still carry whatever and u dont want ur baby to get it. I think the breeders usually have their first round of shots done, I am not positive though, something to definantely check into. I would also get her to the vet asap after you get her to make everything is alright with her. As you will probably hear, 8 weeks is early, they usually recommend 12 weeks. Caesar was 9 1/2 weeks when we got him. I think the spay thing is usually 6 months. Congrats again, looking forward to seeing pictures of Bambi! :D

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
you must be soo excited to get bambi though

im gonna rain on your parade a little though. you said she's from iowa, is a "teacup", and is coming to you at 8 weeks? are you sure she isn't a puppymill dog? i know that's one of the big states for it, i think.

have you checked the puppymill/broker lists?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well actually, the breeder is not who calls her a teacup...I had my boyfriend request a teacup and he was told that teacups are not a real breed...etc. I asked my boyfriend if its one of those puppy mill breeders, and he said that this guy is legit. Apparently both of Bambi's parents are show dogs and the breeder happens to be my boyfriend's cousin's friend or something. I am not exactly sure though. I will be so sad if it is a puppymill!!!

What are some signs of a puppymill?
I'd be really upset if it were a mill!

Oh yea...now I am not sure if this means anything, but they made my boyfriend fill out a questionnaire in regards to my living situation and asked questions like if there are any little kids in my house, other animals, how many hours I anticipate being home, etc.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i'll look for a link for you, lexi's mom has posted it before..

your breeder doesn't sound as "bad" as i originally thought. sorry for misunderstanding. i'll get that link for you

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Red flag here is an 8 week old puppy being shipped. Most Maltese and other toys are just being weaned at that age. They are slower to mature than large breed puppies. For their health and safety, they should be with the breeder and litter until 12 weeks. They also benefit from this time as far as their psychological development goes. They learn bit inhibition and dog language from their mother and litter mates.

If you get an 8 week old puppy anyway, please, please, please make sure it is eating 4-6 times per day. Kibble is fine if the pup eats it, but you may want to have some canned on hand as well. Your young puppy is at great risk for hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. This is life threatening. If your puppy seems lethargic, walks funny (like drunk or staggering), vomits, or has a seizure, get to the vet immediately and you can give some karo syrup before you leave the house. Nutrical is a good thing to have on hand to give occasionally to keep the blood sugar up.

If you know someone with a vaccinated dog, they can socialize. You can definately invite people over and play "pass the puppy". The pup should not be out with other dogs, at the pet store, on the ground at the vet, etc. until the vaccines are complete. Most Maltese don't even get their first vaccine until 8-10 weeks.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Puppy mill would not have asked her to fill out a questionaire. That's a good sign. Now 8 weeks old and shipped is not a good sign. Maybe you could ask the breeder to keep the puppy at least 2 more weeks. I got Alex at 10 weeks old and he was fine. He is a small maltese at 5.8 lbs fully grown.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Bambi@May 3 2005, 06:15 PM
5) What age is the youngest that I can spay her (I want to get it out of the way before she goes into heat and starts humping furniture and guests legs 
)

And finally...

6) I slicker brush and a pin brush...which ones should I use where?

That's all....for now!!
Thanks guys!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59412
[/QUOTE]
#5 - I would consult your vet. It might make a difference how tiny she is. I've heard that they like to wait until they are not quite so tiny... it is usually done around 6 months of age. Kallie was six months and she has never humped anything or anyone except her favorite toy.

#6 - Here is a great thread for learning about brushes, etc.:
Grooming Tools Pictoral - JMM

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Here is a link to the Prisoners of Greed website. If you scroll about halfway down, you'll find clickable links to find out if the breeder is listed with the USDA which indicates it is a puppy mill. Also check the USDA broker list as that's who your boyfriend might have dealt with.

http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/USDA.html

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Hi, Bambi. I might be able to help you. What is the name of the breeder? If you don't feel comfortable posting it you can PM it to me. I did a lot of searches when I got Lexi (didn't know a lot then so the breeders weren't the best) and I'm also in the process of looking for a second puppy. I've talked to a lot of breeders in Iowa and the surrounding states.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delay...just took my first final today
, Contracts...eekh!!
Anyhoo...I have to ask my boyfriend the name of the breeder, I haven't gotten around to doing that yet as my next final is on friday, but I will find out asap, and I will check that list.
Here is another question....originally my boyfriend had asked the breeder if she'd have Bambi ready by May 14th because that is the day after my last final, however the breeder told him that the earliest that Bambi will be flown out is May 24th...its a good sign that he didn't want to send it earlier right? Another thing, I think the breeder said she is going to be 8 weeks old...I could possibly be making that up in my head though because I remember one of my friends bought a mini pinscher from a breeder in Riverside, CA and she told him that she was not allowed to legally sell a dog until it was at least 8 weeks old...so there is a slight possibility that Bambi might be older..and I have just been making it up...but I am almost positive my boyfriend said that the breeder said she'd be 8 weeks. I gotta confirm that, and I'll get back to you guys on that.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
One reason that the breeder said she could not be shipped earlier than the 24th could be because (I think) pups under 8 weeks are not allowed to fly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts