Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet called to tell me that he had time this morning for a spay.
As per vet's orders, she fasted from 12am until her surgery. She even decided to eliminate her bowels (in the office reception) in prep for surgery :HistericalSmiley:

Labs were taken 15 minutes before the spay and she was perfectly suited to receive anesthesia.

Fast forward to now, she's doing great and napping.

The vet made a small incision so there's no need for an e-collar. I can't wait until she's back to her goofy self! :chili:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Aww, she's so cute. Is she on Metacam for pain management? I hope she has a smooth recovery. Kisses to her.:wub:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.
Nope. She's not on any meds. The vet said she didn't need it...Dunno how he'd know...(he's a dog whisperer maybe??? :blink:)
She looks a bit woozy. She's sleeping and snoring like a piggy, so I don't think she's in any pain.
Aww, she's so cute. Is she on Metacam for pain management? I hope she has a smooth recovery. Kisses to her.:wub:
I hope so! Can't wait to get my crazy piggy back in full spirit! :HistericalSmiley:
Precious sweet Sophie:wub: honey you will feel so much better tomorrow, I just said a prayer for you little one.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
They usually give them a pain shot, but also send them home with meds! I would insist on Metacam. Can you imagine having a hysterectomy and not getting any pain meds?! All my dogs have had it after spay.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:blink:
I wish I could go back and request the meds (they closed an hour after she was discharged) :angry:

They usually give them a pain shot, but also send them home with meds! I would insist on Metacam. Can you imagine having a hysterectomy and not getting any pain meds?! All my dogs have had it after spay.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I would just keep a close eye on her and she'll probably be okay until tomorrow morning. If she seems like she's in a lot of pain (panting, shaking) you can always go to a 24 hour emerg. vet. But here's hoping you won't need to!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do! :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures when she's feeling better.
She's snoring away. She isn't grimacing or winching in discomfort. She's being pampered like a little princess (getting served food in a warm and soft bed).
I'm really hoping she won't need any meds.
How is Sophie doing now? I hope she is okay and that the vet was right about her not needing any meds.

She looks so adorable and sweet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a ton for the signs and symptoms!
She's napping after a light meal. I'm sleeping on the floor with her so that she won't try jumping on my bed in the middle of the night.
I would just keep a close eye on her and she'll probably be okay until tomorrow morning. If she seems like she's in a lot of pain (panting, shaking) you can always go to a 24 hour emerg. vet. But here's hoping you won't need to!

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Will do! :thumbsup:

She's snoring away. She isn't grimacing or winching in discomfort. She's being pampered like a little princess (getting served food in a warm and soft bed).
I'm really hoping she won't need any meds.
She sounds as though she will be okay. I hope you both have a peaceful night. Healing hugs being sent precious Sophie's way.:wub:

·
Premium Member
17,197 Posts
She is a little doll! So happy she did so well w/her surgery. I have heard that some pups are not bothered by spay---did he do laser? That would make a difference, I think.
Hope she is tip-top today!

·
Registered
514 Posts
:blink:
I wish I could go back and request the meds (they closed an hour after she was discharged) :angry:
Daisy never had pain meds after her spay but she did have them after her knee surgery, so it's not like they never give them at our clinic. I think it depends on the type of surgery done. Like you said, she had a small incision. Daisy did too and it was the internal dissolvable sutures. I don't think you need to worry. There are pros and cons to pain meds, especially for such a tiny dog.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of us had a very restful night...she snored like a log for the entire night :blink:
She sounds as though she will be okay. I hope you both have a peaceful night. Healing hugs being sent precious Sophie's way.:wub:
Have to watch out for my little pup. :wub:
You're welcome :) That is so sweet of you to sleep on the floor with her. I wish you both a good night.
She seems a little cautious this morning. But she ate her breakfast and went back to sleep without any issues.
She is a little doll! So happy she did so well w/her surgery. I have heard that some pups are not bothered by spay---did he do laser? That would make a difference, I think.
Hope she is tip-top today!
Thank goodness. I don't like medicating her unless its absolutely necessary.
Daisy never had pain meds after her spay but she did have them after her knee surgery, so it's not like they never give them at our clinic. I think it depends on the type of surgery done. Like you said, she had a small incision. Daisy did too and it was the internal dissolvable sutures. I don't think you need to worry. There are pros and cons to pain meds, especially for such a tiny dog.
Glad all went well!
She's recovering slowly. She was very hesitant to go outside this morning. (She went out to pee then back in the house she went :HistericalSmiley:)
Sophie is so cute! Glad all went well and hope she recovers fast.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts