Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have posted before I am soon getting a puppy (Sophie). I have not been able to see her in person because she is in another state. She was the only girl in the litter. I have always wanted a girl. The puppies now live with my mom. Everyday she is telling me stories about all the puppys. Sophie is very spunky, she has alot of personality. When my mom gives all of them a treat she takes the others away all for herself. When she is told no, she will stop but she will bark back at you. My mom also has a lab. while most of the other puppies stay away from him, she will lay right in front of him and bark at him! He is a bit old so he just ignores her, but she wont leave him alone. I dont think she is going to be a bad dog she is just so much spunkier than the rest. What do you all think? My mom loves her.

Well there is this other puppy she is always telling me about. He is laid back very sweet. Almost the complete opposite of Sophie. everyone loves him. So now she has got me thinking about the other one. I have to admit
my hubby although a great guy has never been a dog person. I am thinking this other pup might be a better match for him.

If you remember from one of my other post I wasnt sure how I was going to get Sophie home. Well I am meeting my mom this weekend.
She said she could bring them both for me to see. I just dont know what to do. any advice? I already feel a bond with Sophie even though I havent ment her but yet the other pup might be better for our family. I want them both :new_Eyecrazy: but thats not possible. What should I do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,856 Posts
I would say go with your heart upon meeting the two of them. Maybe have your mom NOT tell you which one Sophie is (and no peeking to determine which one she is). I bet you will "connect" more with one than the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Hi! Congratulations on getting your new dog!

My advice- go with the dog with the personality that will fit best in your family. My husband isn't much of a dog person, so I knew the dog we found would have to be a laid back kinda guy, couldn't be aggressive, or too mischievous. My husband would get irritated if we had a really rambunctious dog. That is one reason I went with a rescue instead of a puppy. I wanted to make sure I got a dog that was done with the puppy phase, and was a bit calmer. Even though my husband isn't much of a dog person- when he picked up our dog, Wilson, Wilson snuggled into my husband and very gently licked the tip of my husband's nose, and my big mean 'ol hubby melted! It was so very sweet!

Is your husband able to go with you this weekend to meet the dogs? It would probably be a good idea if he could go. He might feel more attachment to the dog if he had a hand in picking it out.

Also, the gender doesn't matter- don't pick a dog just because it's a boy or a girl. I prefer male animals over females. In my experience the males are usually the more affectionate ones.

Sophie sounds like a fun dog- but I bet she will be a stubborn go-getter, and that's not the best dog for every family.

Good luck, and I can't wait to hear all about your new baby.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
I guess the ideal thing would be to see them both and spend some time with them. Based solely on your description, it sounds like the female will be a hand full! That is fine for some people, but with your husband not being a dog person, her personality my irritate him.

For example, last night I had a co-worker at my house to do some work on a project that was at deadline. I put Kallie and Catcher in the play pen along with their dog beds. Catcher sat in his bed quietly. Kallie barked and jumped up and down constantly until I finally brought them both in the kitchen where we were working as the barking was driving my co-worker crazy. Catcher sat quietly while Kallie wanted to play ball and was "digging to China" on my co-workers leg and would not settle down the entire time she was here. There is just a huge difference in their temperaments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Oct 20 2005, 06:36 PM
For example, last night I had a co-worker at my house to do some work on a project that was at deadline. I put Kallie and Catcher in the play pen along with their dog beds. Catcher sat in his bed quietly. Kallie barked and jumped up and down constantly until I finally brought them both in the kitchen where we were working as the barking was driving my co-worker crazy. Catcher sat quietly while Kallie wanted to play ball and was "digging to China" on my co-workers leg and would not settle down the entire time she was here.  There is just a huge difference in their temperaments.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111803
[/QUOTE]
You just described Peanut and Tic! Peanut sounds just like Catcher and Tic sounds exactly like Kallie. It's scary how different they are and how well they get along.

I agree with everyone. I know it's hard when you've had your heart set on a girl, but I think personality and seeing how well they will fit into your lives is very important. Good luck meeting them and keep us posted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, all the advice is great. It was all just what I thinking.

We will be meeting each other part way and staying at a hotel for a night. So actually I will have a good amount of time to get to know both. I think I will meet them both before I know who is who and see how it goes. My hubby and two kids will be going. so we all can decide as a family.
If I do go with the boy I have to come up with a name. They are calling him Mathew. I will let you all know how it goes. We leave Saturday morning and get home Sunday evening. One way or another there will be pictures on Monday for sure
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by louise@Oct 20 2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone, all the advice is great. It was all just what I thinking.

We will be meeting each other part way and staying at a hotel for a night. So actually I will have a good amount of time to get to know both. I think I will meet them both before I know who is who and see how it goes. My hubby and two kids will be going. so we all can decide as a family. 
  If I do go with the boy I have to come up with a name. They are calling him Mathew. I will let you all know how it goes. We leave Saturday morning and get home Sunday evening. One way or another there will be pictures on Monday for sure

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111830
[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a great plan! If you don't like the name Matthew, you could change it since he is still young. Hmmm, the only boy's name I can think of right now is Beau, which I have always liked for furbabies and skin ones, too. Or you could officially name him Matthew and call him Matty. Keep us posted on how it goes. Good luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Msloke@Oct 20 2005, 08:58 PM
I'm thinking it's gonna be REALLY hard not to take BOTH home!  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111837
[/QUOTE]
You are so right! Thats what my daughter and I want. She even offered to give up her fish
Quote " I'll trade four in to get one" Didnt work but worth a try :D I dont think hubby would ever go with that. Dont get be wrong he is excited too, poor guy never had a single pet growing up
He is looking forward to getting one now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
I would go with the boy myself since he's more laid back, he'll probably be easier to train and not so strong-willed. But, I said if I ever got another dog, I'd go with the bond I shared with him. A bond might develop over time though. I think there are always a few factors to consider. Blessings!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the choice has been made, and we stuck with Sophie. It was so hard to choose between the two of them, so I left it up to my hubby and my daughter. The only choice for them was Sophie. She cuddled right up with hubby and he melted. She is a bit spunky, but not bad. she is not as crazy as I imagined. We are really injoying her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Originally posted by louise@Oct 20 2005, 02:59 PM
As I have posted before I am soon getting a puppy (Sophie).  I have not been able to see her in person because she is in another state. She was the only girl in the litter. I have always wanted a girl. The puppies now live with my mom. Everyday she is telling me stories about all the puppys. Sophie is very spunky, she has alot of personality. When my mom gives all of them a treat she takes the others away all for herself. When she is told no, she will stop but she will bark back at you.  My mom also has a lab. while most of the other puppies stay away from him, she will lay right in front of him and bark at him! He is a bit old so he just ignores her, but she wont leave him alone. I dont think she is going to be a bad dog she is just so much spunkier than the rest. What do you all think? My mom loves her.

Well there is this other puppy she is always telling me about. He is laid back very sweet. Almost the complete opposite of Sophie.  everyone loves him. So now she has got me thinking about the other one. I have to admit
  my hubby although a great guy has never been a dog person. I am thinking this other pup might be a better match for him.

If you remember from one of my other post I wasnt sure how I was going to get Sophie home. Well I am meeting my mom this weekend. 
She said she could bring them both for me to see. I just dont know what to do. any advice? I already feel a bond with Sophie even though I havent ment her but yet the other pup might be better for our family. I want them both  :new_Eyecrazy:  but thats not possible. What should I do?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111779


Sophie sounds like my Daisy! She's been very spunky from the beginning.
[/QUOTE]
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top