Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a year of saying I never wanted to take Teddy to a groomer, I trusted someone who my daughter takes her dog to and who also owns Maltese.

I was sick when my poor Teddy showed signs of mistreatment. I took him the day before we left for vacation because I wanted him to look great for the wedding...I bathed him and only wanted her to trim him up and do his nails. I figured she would make him look more even than I could...I did not like his face at all because she did it so short...and the rest of him did not seem to be done at all except for his paws and the very end of the paw.

I talked with her before I left the shop (I was only gone 3/4 of an hour while she did her thing) and she knew I was very hyper because I would not just drop him off and pick up at the end of the day. She said she was fine with that.

Anyway, Teddy had sores on him...and I am not sure how they were made or by what....he had one on the bridge of his nose and at least 3 on the back of his head by his neck area - they felt like ticks when I first felt them but I realized soon enough that they were sores.

He also seemed to get cut on his eye because it was a red mark and he teared much of the time we were away. Even now he is tearing and it seems irritated although it is improving with the eye oitment the Vet gave.

I am so upset that my poor Teddy went through this...he seemed happy when I picked him up....but it was probably because he was seeing me again.

I know that she took very little off because I have always done the grooming and know how much was there...I litterally just did him last night because he was so long again...he was so good for me so I don't know how she could have cut him so many times.

Is there something besides sissors that would make these sores (remember she did not bath him only cut).

I promised him that I will never allow anyone else to touch him with grooming again...I do just as good as they do if not better and I know what happens...(I have never cut him).

Susan

·
Registered
776 Posts
The sores on his neck could be from that leash-thing they use to keep them standing on the table while they trim. Maybe he pulled against it and got blisters or whatever...

What a horrible thing to have happen though
My thoughts are with you and Teddy.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Poor Teddy...I hope that he is feeling better. I agree with Kristie that the clippers are probably to blame. It's kind of like razor burn in humans. The hair is clipped too closely to the skin, catching the out surface of the skin causing the "burn". I would definitely call the groomer and let her know that you are upset. Has your daughter gone back since? I have been using Petsmart grooming mostly because everything is out in the open in the store. The pups are bathed in the back of the salon, but the dogs are clipped right out in the open. They also do not use drying cages. I know some people have had bad experiences with Petsmart, but I have had nothing but good service (we use the same person each time). As a matter of fact, I just dropped my dog off for her first puppy cut. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll look cute! She is 10 months old and has only been trimmed, never clipped so her hair is very long...almost touching the floor. But since it's so hot here and brushing her was becoming a chore that she no longer enjoyed, we opted for a shorter cut. I hope Teddy feels better and recovers from this ordeal.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments....I wanted to let you all know that I too thought about the clippers but his hair was not trimmed that closely....and in fact seemed to not really be cut at all...his face was and the bottom of his paws but other than that I did not see much gone. My daughter has not taken Shakira back but I know that she will...they love shakira and she is a bigger dog and also has in the years she has gone there never had a problem...I don't think the owner does Shakira and I had the owner.

I only hesitate to pull Shakira from there because she has had incidents with other groomers (she also was cut by a couple), but has never had any problem with this one. She has two layers of fur and hair so is much harder to cut also...

The strap they use does sound like it may have been the problem...I know that I made the right choice all along by grooming him myself and will remain doing just that....we did this last night and Teddy was so good and he looks better than when I took him in to the groomer.

Susan

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry you had to go through that with that awful groomer. I'm glad you're able to do him yourself from now on. I just don't have the talent to handle the clippers, etc. I'm not good with my hands. So luckily, we have a groomer we like. Hugs to Teddy and I'm glad he doesn't appear to be traumatized by the experience.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Poor Teddy,I would diffenitly let them know your not happy about what happened & that you wont be taking Teddy back there because of it!

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
last year we took are two furbabies(cockapoos) to be groomed at the petsmart in spokane wash. we dropped our babys off and went to shop for a couple hours, i called once to see how they were, the groomer said they were doing great and she said we could pick them up in a hour. well i received another call a short time later, she was scared and said she was taking my annie to the vet, i about died, she had been using sissors on her foot and annie went down to lick her hand and the groomer cut annies tongue she said she had tried to stop the bleeding and had to get the manager of the store. they decided she needed to go see the vet. i was so scared and sooo mad. we met them at the vets office, the vet said the groomer had cut about a half inch on her tongue. he felt like she would do better without stitches. after that we only take our furbaby to someone who is very expierenced. i am not saying all petsmart are bad, just CHECK to make sure they have experience.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
so sorry you're going through all this, how stressful. There is a new Doggy Day Spa where I live, but I'm afraid to check it out just becuase I haven't had any problems with Bella's current groomer and it seems like so many people have trouble with grooming, I'm afraid to take Bella anywere different. I admire you for learning how to do it yourself, I could never do it. I've tried, but that is not a talent I have

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I would be mad too. I thought about the clippers too. They can get irritated from them if shaving too close. I guess I have been lucky with the groomers I used. With my late lhasa we used the vet's groomer. He was always nicely done and never hurt. Before I started grooming Alex myself I used a different groomer close to my home. The owner was very nice and he was always nicely done. But I think he was nipped once when somebody else groomed him in place of the owner. I told her and she said she will be doing him. But after that last time he was full of fleas and my husband swears he got them at the groomer. Who knows. If they had a dog there full of fleas at the same time, it's almost impossible to avoid other dogs catching them. I mostly started doing him myself because of the time you had to leave them there.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Bless his heart, hope he's doing better.

We have been lucky with Puddles, but you never know how they really treat our babies. I have not tried the grooming stuff yet, working up to it. I'm now doing his face and I'm so so careful. Maybe one day I will get my nerve up.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the well wishes for Teddy...he is doing much better with the sores on his head neck area completely healed...his eye is still a little sore...Teddy has never had tearing so this was so terrible to see for me...I knew how much he must be hurting from the cut he had.

I am glad that I had the courage to do him myself...although I really don't think it was courage as much as protectiveness...I just could not trust someone else to take the kind of care of him as I do....turns out that I was correct.

He is such a sweetie that doing him myself becomes easier every time I do it...he trusts me to do things and I take care to earn that Trust.

Susan

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Jul 11 2005, 11:33 AM
Well, after a year of saying I never wanted to take Teddy to a groomer, I trusted someone who my daughter takes her dog to and who also owns Maltese.

I was sick when my poor Teddy showed signs of mistreatment.  I took him the day before we left for vacation because I wanted him to look great for the wedding...I bathed him and only wanted her to trim him  up and do his nails.  I figured she would make him look more even than I could...I did not like his face at all because she did it so short...and the rest of him did not seem to be done at all except for his paws and the very end of the paw. 

I talked with her before I left the shop (I was only gone 3/4 of an hour while she did her thing) and she knew I was very hyper because I would not just drop him off and pick up at the end of the day.  She said she was fine with that.

Anyway, Teddy had sores on him...and I am not sure how they were made or by what....he had one on the bridge of his nose and at least 3 on the back of his head by his neck area - they felt like ticks when I first felt them but I realized soon enough that they were sores. 

He also seemed to get cut on his eye because it was a red mark and he teared much of the time we were away.  Even now he is tearing and it seems irritated although it is improving with the eye oitment the Vet gave. 

I am so upset that my poor Teddy went through this...he seemed happy when I picked him up....but it was probably because he was seeing me again. 

I know that she took very little off because I have always done the grooming and know how much was there...I litterally just did him last night because he was so long again...he was so good for me so I don't know how she could have cut him so many times.

Is there something besides sissors that would make these sores (remember she did not bath him only cut). 

I promised him that I will never allow anyone else to touch him with grooming again...I do just as good as they do if not better and I know what happens...(I have never cut him).

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80354
[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD IO WOULD HAVE FLIPPED!
i hope he is ok now
did you confront them

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Jul 12 2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes for Teddy...he is doing much better with the sores on his head neck area completely healed...his eye is still a little sore...Teddy has never had tearing so this was so terrible to see for me...I knew how much he must be hurting from the cut he had.

I am glad that I had the courage to do him myself...although I really don't think it was courage as much as protectiveness...I just could not trust someone else to take the kind of care of him as I do....turns out that I was correct.

He is such a sweetie that doing him myself becomes easier every time I do it...he trusts me to do things and I take care to earn that Trust.

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80577
[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry your teddy had to go through this. I'm glad you desided to groom him yoursefl... no one could do it better then you.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Maxismom@Jul 12 2005, 09:03 AM
did you confront them
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80579
[/QUOTE]

I did not confront them because I went on vacation the very next morning...I kept asking my daughter if she thought his eye looked sore or if she could see the mark but of course she thought I was being over protective. She realized that I was not when we were in Florida. I will just never take him back to this person...or anyone else for that matter.

I usually would confront someone who did this...but I know nothing will come of it now and Teddy has healed while we were away. My word against hers.

Susan

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That is ridiculous! They shouldnt be grooming anyones dogs! I would have went insane! As close at Rex was cut at his last appointment, they didnt cut him at all, or burn him or anything close to that. We do go to Petsmart, the woman who cuts Rex is great, she seems to cut a lot of the longer haired dogs and has a lot of experience with it. I too, as someone else said in this thread, am not good with my hands and anything sharp, so I could see myself messing up.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Jul 11 2005, 11:33 AM

I was sick when my poor Teddy showed signs of mistreatment.  I took him the day before we left for vacation because I wanted him to look great for the wedding...I bathed him and only wanted her to trim him  up and do his nails.  I figured she would make him look more even than I could...I did not like his face at all because she did it so short...and the rest of him did not seem to be done at all except for his paws and the very end of the paw. 

I talked with her before I left the shop (I was only gone 3/4 of an hour while she did her thing) and she knew I was very hyper because I would not just drop him off and pick up at the end of the day.  She said she was fine with that.

He also seemed to get cut on his eye because it was a red mark and he teared much of the time we were away.  Even now he is tearing and it seems irritated although it is improving with the eye oitment the Vet gave. 

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80354
[/QUOTE]
OOOOO, that is terrible. poor baby. I always worry when I take my sheltie in to be groomed. The groomer is very nice, but you just never know. Now I'll have two babies to worry about. I hope he will be ok and is not scared next time you do the grooming

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Fach@Jul 12 2005, 10:17 AM
I hope he will be ok and is not scared next time you do the grooming

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80618
[/QUOTE]

Thank you...he actually got groomed two nights ago...by me and did great as usual. He is so darn cute and so sweet while I try and make him pretty. And I hate to sound like I am patting my own self...but he looks better than when she did the grooming.

Susan

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme+Jul 12 2005, 11:26 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fach
@Jul 12 2005, 10:17 AM
I hope he will be ok and is not scared next time you do the grooming

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80618

Thank you...he actually got groomed two nights ago...by me and did great as usual. He is so darn cute and so sweet while I try and make him pretty. And I hate to sound like I am patting my own self...but he looks better than when she did the grooming.

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80623
[/B][/QUOTE]

That's because you add the extra care and love.

I would have deffinely fliped out if it were me. I understand the cliper burns. I think that happens if they get to close but they should put baby power on it. The eye , I can not undestand that, it just not acceptable.

I only took Chester to the groomer once... I wanted to try it out. She did not do a bad job, but I found it to be too stressful and she was only 20 min away from me. I also had an emergency that day and I had to wait for her to call to let me know when I could pick Chester up. When she did call I could not leave because then a meeting came up at work. I also dropped off Chester in his nice green coat. When I picked up Chester he was not his crazy acting self... normally he is all squirmy and happy to see you...he was so clam.. That is not normal. He looked great except his coat look dry not shiny like when we wash him with bless the beast. His green coat also came back with every other dogs hair on it but his grrrrrrr. I mean a lot of hair.
I mean the price was good 21 dollars... but when I read that some groomer give the dogs something to calm them down I was wondering if they did that to Chester...
I will never take them to pet smart. I was going to , but I heard way to many bad stories. I find doing it my self less stressfull, for me and them.. Pulse as I said we add that extra care.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wanted to clarify that I did the grooming two nights ago because I really don't believe the woman took anything off his body. She did only his face and bottom paws that I could tell so he needed to be shaped up.

Susan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts