Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
im not 100% certain what caused jongees tearstaining all of a sudden, but i tried the NB duck allergy formula and tried the Ultra Premium, and then jongee started to get bad tearstaining..but still im not 100% sure if its the Ultra Premium that caused it..

so i just switched to Newmans organinc

·
Registered
755 Posts
I feed Princess Innova and seems to work well for her tear stain. I'm sure Lexi's mom agrees with me on this. :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Seems like I remember looking up info on the Natural Balance food roll for another thread..... at that time I found that it had sugar in it and sodium nitrite. I know that "nitrites" are not good for humans so I asssume the same goes for dogs. And if it has sugar in it... of course, dogs will love it! But it probably isn't all that healthy....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey eats the Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice Formula. There is a sticker on the bag that says it is for dogs with allegies. Lacey has no tearstaining. Don't know if it is from the dog food or if I am just lucky. I tried the Newma's Organic and Lacey hated it. I mixed it with the Natural Balance and she would pick out the Newmans and spit it out on the carpet about 4 feet from her food bowl. I purchased the Natuaral Balance Sweet Potatoe and Fish. She is eating it. I am going to look into the Innova. Haven't tried it but I always like to have 2 or 3 different flavors for Lacey. She seems to get bored after about 2 weeks of eating the same food so I switch flavors on her. Right now she is eting a mix of the venison and sweet potatoe.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm still trying to slowly phase out the Ultra premium. I think right around the time they started getting tearstaining was when I feed them biljacs.
Then I switched to NB's Ultra premium and it didnt help. Their eyes got really boogery. Now that I mixed their food w/the potato and duck formula, there eyes arent boogery, but still staining. So who knows. I may change back to Science Diet or even try another brand.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 9 2005, 11:17 AM
I'm still trying to slowly phase out the Ultra premium.  I think right around the time they started getting tearstaining was when I feed them biljacs.
  Then I switched to NB's Ultra premium and it didnt help.  Their eyes got really boogery.  Now that I mixed their food w/the potato and duck formula, there eyes arent boogery, but still staining.  So who knows.  I may change back to Science Diet or even try another brand.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41360
[/QUOTE]
I've been there with Bil-Jac's too. Peanut loved it, but I wasn't too crazy about it. If you can find it or order online, Peanut LOVES Artemis. I got a free sample at the pet store and he chowed the whole bag!! It's only been a recent change, but lots of people have commented on the change in him. He does have tear duct blockage, so he's never gonna have a perfectly white face, but the stains are much less than usual, and his poops are regular(for the first time in the 11 months that I've had him!!!!) I got him the Artemis Small Breed formula. The bag is pale yellow and pink. They come in 3 pound bags and the price isn't too steep.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I changed my boys to Solid Gold "Just a Wee Bit" (look into this--very different formula than the regular Solid Gold), and Artemis "Small Breed". Love them, and Quincy stopped tearstaining. He never had that problem until I put him on Royal Canin. I will never do that again!!! Jonas' tear stains are better on the new food, but due to his face/eye structure, he will always have tearstains. My boys didn't really care for Natural Balance or the regular Solid Gold when I tried it.
Quincymom

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 9 2005, 11:40 AM
  Anyway, for a small bag, can someone give me a general price range? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41370
[/QUOTE]

i got my 5lbs bag of Newman for about 10 dollars, and i dont think they have various flavors, only Adult food and Senior food (im not sure about puppy tho, i didnt see any at my store)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 9 2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks Littlepeanut--I am going to check that out!

So I guess I will keep looking for store that sells it.  (Thanks KC--you have me running around for dog food!  LOL  
)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41514
[/QUOTE]

Hi, sorry 'bout that!!!

Isn't it awful but I have no idea what the price is... I'm terrible that way... If I had to guess, I think it maybe is something like $7.50 for a 5-pound bag ?? I'll call the store in a few minutes and see if they can tell me over the phone.

That store you went to does sound horrible.

I had tried a lot of foods--- Innova, Solid Gold, etc. and Kallie would not eat them. When I bought Newman's Own she went nuts for it and now I feed it to Catcher, too, and he loves it also. Newman's only makes a senior and adult. I wrote and asked about puppy and here is what their vet said: "NOO adult foods can be mixed with our canned foods for small puppies." I still prefer a puppy food made specifically for growing bodies, although I didn't really compare the ingredients, etc. of their canned food. Now that I know about the canned working for puppies, I may try it the next time I need puppy food.

I hope you can find Newman's somewhere. Do you have a holistic, heatlh food type grocery store there? I buy mine at Earth Fare grocery store. The thing about Newman's is that the chicken has no hormones, etc. and the other ingredients are organic. That is huge plus for me. I have read of the dangers of pesticides on humans and I can just imagine how they would affect our tiny babies. And who knows what kind of hormones, antibiotics, etc. they give to chickens... Even though there are a lot of dog foods that have excellent ingredients, I feel that Newman's Own is a step above because of the organic ingredients. ..... and the profit goes to support pet-related charities...

EDIT: OK... I just called Earth Fare and the price for a 5 lb. bag of Newman's is $8.99.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
funny thing about the chicken and hormones thing....i learned about this in poultry science in undergrad. this is something that TYSON started saying to get ppl to buy their product. i think its genius! they aren't lying cause they don't use hormones, but neither does anyone else! so ppl think they are implying that other companies use hormones, but its just a ploy. so now it looks like other companies are using the statement too.

but im sure its a great food

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 9 2005, 08:31 PM
funny thing about the chicken and hormones thing....i learned about this in poultry science in undergrad.  this is something that TYSON started saying to get ppl to buy their product.  i think its genius!  they aren't lying cause they don't use hormones, but neither does anyone else!  so ppl think they are implying that other companies use hormones, but its just a ploy. so now it looks like other companies are using the statement too.

but im sure its a great food

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41592
[/QUOTE]

I wonder if they mean chicken sold in grocery stores or something because so much of what I have read talks about hormones and antibiotics in chicken. Here, for example, is just one such recent article from USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/f...ural-usat_x.htm I put the main points of interest in red in case anyone doesn't want to read the whole thing..... The issue confuses me because it appears from this article that there are three grades of chicken... "regular", "natural" and "organic".

Fast-food 'natural' chicken takes wing on safety fears
By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY
Fast food's next better-for-you twist has wings: "natural" chicken.
That's chicken with no additives. Some say it's tastier and healthier. It's certainly pricier. Arby's is about to announce plans to be the first national fast-food chain to sell only natural chicken. The move comes at a time when chicken of all types has emerged as fast food's hottest growth area.

More fast-foodies are expected to follow Arby's. Two fast-casual chains, Panera Bread and Chipotle, are testing natural chicken. A few regional chains have sold it for years, including Chick-fil-A and Chicken Out.

The label "natural" means the food contains no hormones, antibiotics or artificial ingredients and is "minimally" processed, says the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That's less stringent than rules for "organic" — and easier for fast-food chains to accommodate.

Growing consumer interest in natural chicken and other natural meats has one key driver: safety concerns. Health concerns about everything from mad cow disease to E. coli bacteria have consumers seeking higher-quality meat, even at a fast-food joint.

"Consumers want more information about what's going on with the food they eat," says Dennis Lombardi, executive vice president at WD Partners, a restaurant development firm.

Buying natural might be most useful for folks who eat lots of chicken, says Robyn Flipse, a dietitian in Ocean, N.J. "It lessens the risk of exposure to antibiotics, hormones and preservatives."

Arby's plans to sell it systemwide by year's end. "We see a general trend toward better diet and overall wellness," says Debbie Pike, chief marketing officer for Arby's Franchise Association, which oversees the 3,450 stores' marketing.

Arby's is testing natural chicken — called "All Chicken Chicken" — in sandwiches and salads in Michigan, Florida, South Carolina and Ohio.

"We're not making a claim that Arby's is the natural restaurant," Pike says. "But we're responding to how people shop and eat."

The problem as more chains join in might be finding enough natural chicken. Others also responding:

•Panera Bread. The sandwich chain began testing natural chicken about a year ago. In November, it rolled out natural chicken systemwide in some sandwiches and salads. And it eventually plans to sell only natural chicken, says Scott Davis, chief concept officer.

Because the natural chicken costs Panera more, it is charging about 25 cents more for dishes made with it.

•Chipotle. The Mexican chain sells natural chicken in the Washington area, New York and parts of Atlanta and Ohio. In some — but not all — areas, it charges about 25 cents more for the dishes.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well its illegal for vets to give most products..most are euthanised b/c it isnt worth it to treat. but i can't say what producers give w/o the vets knowing

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Mar 9 2005, 08:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Mar 9 2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks Littlepeanut--I am going to check that out!

So I guess I will keep looking for store that sells it.  (Thanks KC--you have me running around for dog food!  LOL  
)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41514
Hi, sorry 'bout that!!!

Isn't it awful but I have no idea what the price is... I'm terrible that way... If I had to guess, I think it maybe is something like $7.50 for a 5-pound bag ?? I'll call the store in a few minutes and see if they can tell me over the phone.

That store you went to does sound horrible.

I had tried a lot of foods--- Innova, Solid Gold, etc. and Kallie would not eat them. When I bought Newman's Own she went nuts for it and now I feed it to Catcher, too, and he loves it also. Newman's only makes a senior and adult. I wrote and asked about puppy and here is what their vet said: "NOO adult foods can be mixed with our canned foods for small puppies." I still prefer a puppy food made specifically for growing bodies, although I didn't really compare the ingredients, etc. of their canned food. Now that I know about the canned working for puppies, I may try it the next time I need puppy food.

I hope you can find Newman's somewhere. Do you have a holistic, heatlh food type grocery store there? I buy mine at Earth Fare grocery store. The thing about Newman's is that the chicken has no hormones, etc. and the other ingredients are organic. That is huge plus for me. I have read of the dangers of pesticides on humans and I can just imagine how they would affect our tiny babies. And who knows what kind of hormones, antibiotics, etc. they give to chickens... Even though there are a lot of dog foods that have excellent ingredients, I feel that Newman's Own is a step above because of the organic ingredients. ..... and the profit goes to support pet-related charities...

EDIT: OK... I just called Earth Fare and the price for a 5 lb. bag of Newman's is $8.99.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41590
[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow! Things here in Raleigh are certainly much more expensive! My health food store was going to order a bag of Newman's for me to try until I found out the carb content was too high for diabetic Lady They told me it was $12.95 for a 5 pound bag!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 10 2005, 08:05 AM
Wow! Things here in Raleigh are certainly much more expensive! My health food store was going to order a bag of Newman's for me to try until I found out the carb content was too high for diabetic Lady  They told me it was $12.95 for a 5 pound bag!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41730
[/QUOTE]

Earth Fare is always very reasonable in its pricing in general and often lower than the regular grocery story. It is a chain and perhaps it buys at a better price and if your store had to order just one bag to try, maybe they were paying a higher price... just thinking of why there would be such a large difference in price... not even close!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts