Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after watching my weight creep up slowly for the past 6 months, I've decided to go back on the South Beach Diet (Phase I). I used it the summer before last (alongside my mom who lost nearly 25 pounds), and I lost over 15 pounds with very little hunger!!! ... but a lot of "extra work" cooking and buying strange expensive foods.... it really worked for me though. Went from a size 10 to a size 4! I kept it off for over a year, too... but then the last six months I totally went off-course and ate basically whatever I wanted .. gained all 15 pounds back. SIGH.

I have finally given in and I'm going to do Phase I for the next two weeks and try real hard. I just got home from grocery shopping and it's all fresh veggies and lean meats and fish... (WAY more expensive for the poor student than RAMEN and pasta!!)

Has anyone else done this diet? Dr. Agaston gave us a lecture (at the medical school) a few weeks back, which reminded me of all that weight I had lost last time I used his diet. And he's such a nice fellow, really did his research, and I can even say that it worked for me! ...

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anybody else has experience with it... and can help me stay focused for the next two weeks... Let's Go Cindy!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Good for you for doing a sensible diet... "eating plan for life"!! Good luck.... It sounds like you are on your way to success!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Lexi's mom did it before...she was successful with it, but I don't think she is still on it.
Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
I have spent the week looking for the South Beach diet book. I bought the cook book hoping the diet was in it, but it isn't.
I haven't been able to find the diet book. My husband and I want to go on the diet, my doctor suggested it. I had been on the Adkins diet and lost weight and kept it off for two years, but have gained some back. My doctor told me the South Beach diet would give me fruit and some breads to add to my diet. We are in Yuma Arizona and even Barns and nobles didn't have it. Is there any way you could share with me phase 1. I would like to start as soon as possible.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure! The cookbook is helpful even if you don't have the actual (light blue) book, because all the recipies in the yellow cookbook have the "Phase" on the left side of the page. For the first two weeks (Phase 1), only eat the things that are labeled as such.

This basically includes lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish, crab, shrimp, and some red meat), reduced fat cheeses, and lots of veggies.

the forbbidens for the first Phase are: NO fruit, sugary foods, bread, pasta, alcohol, soda, cereal, etc.

Go here to the official site for more info

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/public/default.asp

According to this site, here is Phase I:

Phase 1, The Strictest Phase of the Diet - Lasts 14 days

In the first phase, you eat normal-sized helpings of lean meats, such as chicken, turkey, fish, and shellfish. Vegetables are also allowed, so are nuts, cheese, and eggs. The goal is to eat three balanced meals a day, and to eat enough so that you don’t feel hungry all the time.

Diet Foods to enjoy includes tenderloin, sirloin, skinless chicken or turkey breasts, all types of fish, boiled ham, turkey bacon, whole eggs, fat-free cheeses, peanuts and pistachios, green vegetables, legumes, canola and olive oils.

Diet Foods to avoid include, beef rib steaks, honey-baked ham, breast of veal, all yoghurt, ice cream, milk including whole, low-fat, soy, and full fat cheeses, beets, carrots, corn, yams, fruits and fruit juices, all alcohol, all starchy foods such as bread, cereal, oatmeal, matzo, rice, pasta, pastries, baked goods, crackers, etc.

Expected Weight Loss: 8-13 pounds.[/B]
(from this site http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/diet...uth_beach_diet/ )

Hope this helps!! Google is always my friend

Tonight for dinner I had a curry crabmeat and cucumber salad ... lots of food, very filling (I ate at 5 and I'm still not hungry at all at 9:30 pm!!) and ... good for me!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I did the South Beach Diet from mid October 2004 to the end of February 2005 (4 months). I lost a total of 30 lbs.

Since March 2005 I've gained back 15 of the 30 lbs, most of it since August. I just restarted phase 1 about a week ago. I need to really try harder. I went out to eat with my neighbors twice and didn't stick with the diet. I'm going to really try between now and thanksgiving to not cheat. I've only lost 2lbs in the week i've been on it, but I've also not been exercising. I'm going to try to start doing that more also.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by cindysilver@Nov 12 2005, 10:24 PM
Sure!  The cookbook is helpful even if you don't have the actual (light blue) book, because all the recipies in the yellow cookbook have the "Phase" on the left side of the page.  For the first two weeks (Phase 1), only eat the things that are labeled as such.

This basically includes lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish, crab, shrimp, and some red meat), reduced fat cheeses, and lots of veggies. 

the forbbidens for the first Phase are: NO fruit, sugary foods, bread, pasta, alcohol, soda, cereal, etc.

Go here to the official site for more info

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/public/default.asp

According to this site, here is Phase I:

Phase 1, The Strictest Phase of the Diet - Lasts 14 days

In the first phase, you eat normal-sized helpings of lean meats, such as chicken, turkey, fish, and shellfish. Vegetables are also allowed, so are nuts, cheese, and eggs. The goal is to eat three balanced meals a day, and to eat enough so that you don’t feel hungry all the time.

Diet Foods to enjoy includes tenderloin, sirloin, skinless chicken or turkey breasts, all types of fish, boiled ham, turkey bacon, whole eggs, fat-free cheeses, peanuts and pistachios, green vegetables, legumes, canola and olive oils.

Diet Foods to avoid include, beef rib steaks, honey-baked ham, breast of veal, all yoghurt, ice cream, milk including whole, low-fat, soy, and full fat cheeses, beets, carrots, corn, yams, fruits and fruit juices, all alcohol, all starchy foods such as bread, cereal, oatmeal, matzo, rice, pasta, pastries, baked goods, crackers, etc.

Expected Weight Loss: 8-13 pounds.
(from this site http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/diet...uth_beach_diet/ )

Hope this helps!! Google is always my friend

Tonight for dinner I had a curry crabmeat and cucumber salad ... lots of food, very filling (I ate at 5 and I'm still not hungry at all at 9:30 pm!!) and ... good for me!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119199
[/B][/QUOTE]

That sounds ok for me but hubby is diabetic and the balance isn't quite right for him because there is way too much protein for him. I have been eating the same as he does as per his dietitian, six small meals each day with all being in the correct balance with good carbs etc, and I have to say the weight does come off, but slowly. I believe that is the best way because if you lose it slowly you have a better chance of keeping it off.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I think I have that SB diet book somewhere...it is hardback...
Let me check and I will get back with you.
If you are interested, pm me.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I haven't tried south beach diet but I have been struggling with weight issues whole medical school!! I lost and gained and lost again... sigh (my range has been between 95 lbs and 108 lbs) Getting married send me on the gaining trip (which did not make my husband too happy but he is very supportive). I am finally exercising (which I started 2 yrs ago), perhaps too obsessively, but that definitely helps to keep my weight in check. I also try to walk to school so I try to live with 10-15 min walking distance which helps with burning more calories. Of course all this exercising makes me hungrier... So perhaps I should try the south beach diet!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okw, I know exactly how you feel! My weight has ranged from 102 to ... DUN DUN DUN... 130!!! Medical school, stress, etc... all have contributed to my slow gain. Exercise helps, but I am a "read-a-book" kind of girl, not a "go play soccer" type!
South beach is fun though. I just had eggs with veggies for breakfast... and I feel full!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'd like to say thanks for posting this. I have not read the south beach book, but awhile ago I did read atkins, and now I started this sort of no grain diet which I already lost 6 lbs or so and I really dont need to. I am doing it for healthy living, and it just seems the weight came off. My you girls sound SO tiny though! 100 lbs I havent weighed that since 10th grade
I'm a size 4 ideally, or so I thought, but now clothes are too big yet I feel better, so I hope I am not harming myself.

Does the diet ever allow you to have grains, pasta, bread etc? If so, how does it limit them? I am curious. I might have an allergy to them, which was another test. I am considering baking my own bread
if I can find a healthy way to do it (I'm also off chemicals and hormones and natural foods, etc).

Good luck to all of you on this diet!
It sounds to me like a really healthy way to do it!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K/C's mom, excellent! I actually DID take my BMI before I started the diet, because I wanted to be sure that my "ideal" weight was still in the "normal' range for my height and build. My BMI is 23.4, and my ideal BMI (for a small-boned person like me) is somewhere around 18.5 to 20.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
At 95-108 lbs, do any of you really need to diet???

In the last year, I gained 7 lbs in the last year (probably hitting that age). I now weigh 93 lbs which still isn't very much. At the point, I still eat whatever I want which is rather bad because I eat more than most of my male friends. But I know I should be watching what I eat (not because of weight but I don't eat healthy).

I get really worried when people who don't need to diet start dieting ... it's really scary! We are all too concerned with our weight but I rather see a healthy person than skin-and-bones. Ok ok..who am I to talk .. every time I say something like this .. my friends shut me down so fast because they think I don't understand. But I remember in high school when all my friends started dieting .. I got so worried and started limiting what I ate even though I didn't need it. I was so obsessed .. I counted calories .. recorded everything I ate ... luckily .. one day .. I was like .. what the heck am I doing .. this isn't how I want to be and I don't need to .. so I just ate what I wanted .. and nothing happened.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by cindysilver@Nov 12 2005, 03:16 PM
Well, after watching my weight creep up slowly for the past 6 months, I've decided to go back on the South Beach Diet (Phase I).  I used it the summer before last (alongside my mom who lost nearly 25 pounds), and I lost over 15 pounds with very little hunger!!! ... but a lot of "extra work" cooking and buying strange expensive foods.... it really worked for me though.  Went from a size 10 to a size 4!  I kept it off for over a year, too... but then the last six months I totally went off-course and ate basically whatever I wanted .. gained all 15 pounds back.  SIGH.

I have finally given in and I'm going to do Phase I for the next two weeks and try real hard.  I just got home from grocery shopping and it's all fresh veggies and lean meats and fish... (WAY more expensive for the poor student than RAMEN and pasta!!)

Has anyone else done this diet?  Dr. Agaston gave us a lecture (at the medical school) a few weeks back, which reminded me of all that weight I had lost last time I used his diet.  And he's such a nice fellow, really did his research, and I can even say that it worked for me!  ...

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anybody else has experience with it... and can help me stay focused for the next two weeks... Let's Go Cindy!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119148
[/QUOTE]
My husband and i did it last year. I lost ten and he lost about 25. I think it works if you are very dilligent about it. I don't care for phase one [the toughest part] but understand why it is important. Please don't hesitate to holler my way if you need support. Misery loves company, right? I too have watched the scale creep back upward and need to drop the ten again. I plan to try again this week. I just returned today from a nice weekend trip and feel this would be a good time to get serious.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Well today is the end of week 1. I've only lost 3lbs so far, but I will admit to cheating 3 times. I KNOW! I need to be more serios about it. My goasl this week is to drink more water and start to exercise more.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Nov 13 2005, 03:34 PM
At 95-108 lbs, do any of you really need to diet???

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119293
[/QUOTE]

These were my thoughts exactly and now why I am staying out of the skinny dieters thread!
Someone posted that they had gained UP to 130 and that is like my high limit goal weight.
That did not make me feel very appealing.
Nobody's fault but my own, but I think I will stay out of this dieting thread....

Anyone who is TRULY diet needy wanna start our own support thread?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Kristi,

Loosing 3 lbs in one week is great!!! Cheating a little bit is okay as long as you overall are following the diet

Cindy,

I KNOW about the stress and med school. Just wait till the residency application process (and being geographically restricted to the most competitive area). It sends you snacking overtime!!! I don't play sports -- I just either use the gym (elliptical, tredmill or bike) or I jog outside. I know it feels like there is no time for it!!

Charmypoo,

I don't think you can talk at 93 lbs :new_Eyecrazy: !!! However, I was 95 lbs in the pre-wedding days and I lived on toast, salads and fruits!!!

K/C's mom,

My BMI is about 18.6. I have a very petite frame though and besides, it is healthy to be slightly at the thinner side (there are some studies showing that)!!!

Tlunn,

I am sorry!! I know we sound sickening!! But we haven't had kids yet!!! That's when the real weight gain starts.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sorry for the "skinny dieters" thread everyone.... I didn't mean to offend anyone, for sure!
It doesn't matter what the POUNDS are, just if you're healthy

Half a pound down today! (water weight starts to go!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts