Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Spay day

2K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  ButterCloudandNoriko 
#1 ·
I just left my little peanut at the vets.
What was I thinking picking friday the 13???
With everything else going on, this was the best date so that I have the next two days off over the weekend to baby her (and I'm looking forward to doing so).

I am a little nervous but I know everything will be ok. I was also very nervous when my holli at 12 years old had surgery (that was worse).

Anyway I am more looking forward to those mean teeth being gone than anything!

They are so nice at this new place. The woman who took her said I can call any time and ask for her and she will go check on her for me

snif my baby all grown up

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your support. I dont feel that great, but its over thankfully

The vet called to tell me shes waking up now and that it went 'ok'. She vomitted from the anethesia
so in case she inhaled that into her lungs, she is going to put her on an antibiotic to prevent her getting pneumonia.

The second thing is that I didnt know she was already microchipped. The vet said since they werent looking for a chip they scanned over her once, did not find it, and then put in the second. That time they scanned, they found the other. I hate that she had that done twice now
She said that she has two different brands, and that sometimes this happens. Anyone else have this happen? She said that the brand that was in there is not common around here. I dont know how either the breeder or I over looked this little detail. I think I would have remembered if she told me this.

She pulled quite a few teeth and I guess thats it. I dont know why I cant shake this uneasy feeling now

Thanks again everyone.

#7 ·
I am glad Phoebe is doing well. I think that maybe having 2 microchips is even better than one. That way if one can't be read, the other one can. Hopefully neither will ever need to be read though!!

I think these surgeries are harder on parents than our babies. She will be fine in no time!!

#9 ·
Oh, bless your heart.... I truly, truly understand how you feel... I "know" that uneasy feeling.... I guess it is anxiety. I think you'll feel better when she is home with you and you can see her... having them at a vet and just getting a report by phone is very unsettling....

My thoughts are with you guys today and I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out.....

Hugs to little Miss Phoebe from Kallie and Catcher....

#11 ·
Originally posted by sheila2182@May 13 2005, 12:29 PM
And you know what they say..two chips are better than one!!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62121
[/QUOTE]

Good one!

Hope that she has a speedy recovery!!!

#12 ·
awww... i'm glad to hear everything turned out okay and your baby will be home with you in no time!! Your probably still nervous because you need to see your baby!! Thats how I was even though Kodie was doing fine.... I wanted to go get him ASAP! I had to wait until the next day though...

#13 ·
Aw I understand that uneasy feeling too. It's probably because she got sick from the anethesia. I think your vet is great for being up-front about that and giving her the antibiotics as a precautionary measure. We always like to hear that everything went without incident no matter how minor the incident is.

You'll feel better when she's home and you're taking care of her. Make sure you ask your vet if there's anything specific you should keep an eye out for. I forgot to ask and worried all weekend.

Keep us posted....

#15 ·
Originally posted by Holliberry@May 13 2005, 09:35 AM
I just left my little peanut  at the vets
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62035
[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's ME
I'm so glad that this is over with for little Pheobe! She'll be fine in no time!!! That's weird about the microchips though, but as it was said before, two chips are better than one!!
Give her a big sloppy kiss from Peanut and Tic

#17 ·
We are home, yay
She is groggy and it was the first time I ever saw her little tail down when I put her on the floor
She is just sleeping now but I am SO HAPPY she is home!
They just loved her there. Its so nice to go somewhere they actually make a fuss over all of the animals that come in.

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes

Peanut and Tics mommy: I should have used that name for real! She responds to both since I call her that all the time
Love it

#23 ·
I'm so glad that is over for you and now you can snuggle and love Phoebe all weekend. Did she spend the night at the vets? Is it possible to pick them up on the same day? I am facing this soon with Izzy and dreading it. Please tell me all about it. Details, please, lots of details.

You'll have to tell Phoebe that we said "You can't have just one chip".. LOL I'm sure you were shocked, though, did you get in touch with the breeder yet to discuss that with them?

#24 ·
Phoebe is not a good surgery candidate
I am so worried about her, she is just not happy! I called the vet because she wont walk unless absolutely necessary, and is acting funny. If i put her down, she runs right to her blanket with her tail between her little legs, then starts digging and is jumpy and trying to get to the spot, ripping at her onsie, and will not get comfy. She will at times just jerk like something bit her. they had me put a warm wet cloth on the area but that was only ok while it was on but she said not to do that often and only for 5-10 minutes.
she seems ok if I am holding her. She was furious at me for giving her medicine too

I am not to let her out of my sight and I'll call back if there is no improvement soon. Maybe someone out there can calm my fears?

I guess some dogs are ok, Holli acted like nothing happened, and some are "big babies". we know where Phoebe falls now dont we
I feel so bad for her.

------

Hope your baby is doing ok-how old is she ?
Phoebe is 6 and a half months. 6 months would have been better for the teeth since they have been bothering her for about 2 weeks, but since shes such a baby maybe it was better to have waited those extra 2.

Originally posted by 20202@May 14 2005, 12:38 AM
I'm so glad that is over for you and now you can snuggle and love Phoebe all weekend.  Did she spend the night at the vets?  Is it possible to pick them up on the same day?  I am facing this soon with Izzy and dreading it.  Please tell me all about it.  Details, please, lots of details.

You'll have to tell Phoebe that we said "You can't have just one chip".. LOL  I'm sure you were shocked, though, did you get in touch with the breeder yet to discuss that with them?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62288
[/QUOTE]

Details! Well I hope miss Izzy is one of the good ones! I am afraid Phoebe's case isnt one you want details from if you want them to be good
I dropped her off around 830 and they were finished and called me by 11. I was allowed to pick her up at 4. She didnt like anethesia, and now this! I'm sure Miss Izzy is a tougher cookie and will be fine like most usually are

I was shocked about the chip yeah. I dont know how that slipped her mind unless she usually doesnt have all puppies chipped. I think she told me she considered keeping her, so if thats the case that could explain it. I havent talked to the her yet but I will when things get a little better. I am just going to register both chips. They figure that if she was ever lost that whomever finds her might have a better chance of having the correct scanner. well my thought is they arent going to know to look for a second chip, so if they hit the wrong one first it will be like it didnt matter ya know?

sorry this got so long, I am sitting here with baby on my lap all day and TV just doesnt cut it for me

#25 ·
I hope Phoebe soon gets over this. This is awful. I can't imagine how upset you must be. She's your child, of course you're going to be worried when she's not acting right. Is she eating and peeing and pooping okay? Did the vet say this seems like normal behavior? Does Phoebe seem comfortable when you are holding her or is she fidgeting? I'm so worried about Izzy, she's so little yet and she is going to be 6 months old soon. Two weeks ago she weighed 3.2 lbs and since she's so little it never occured to me that the time for spaying was flying closer and closer. Phoebe's experience is exactly what I'm afraid of. Poor baby Phoebe, my heart aches for her. And yours too! Thank goodness she was only away from you from 8 till 4. Please keep us posted, I'll be checking in because I'm worried about her now. I'm sure she'll be fine and hopefully some of the more experienced mama's will come here and tell us this is all normal. But in the meantime... :eek:

#26 ·
Originally posted by Holliberry@May 14 2005, 11:37 AM
Phoebe is not a good surgery candidate
  I am so worried about her, she is just not happy!  I called the vet because she wont walk unless absolutely necessary, and is acting funny. 
Hi, It sounds like maybe she is in pain. Did the vet send home a few days of pain meds with her? If not, she is likely in pain. I believe they should be on pain medicine a couple days....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.