Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Fiona is 6 months old today! Yay!

I am new at owning a dog so please forgive my lack of knowledge; based on my research most maltese are spayed at 6 months. My vet however said that I should wait until either 9 months or after first heat cycle. I trust my vet ( I went to 3 and she was the only one that was familiar with toy breeds) but I want to double check with all of you and your experiences. Her reasoning makes sense - Fiona is 3lb 8oz and the vet wants to wait until she is as developed as can be before she goes in...

I cannot find a concrete answer anywhere, some say spay at 6 months, some say do it after first heat cycle... When is the best time to spay? I like my vet's logic, but I read somewhere the personality changes after first heat cycle and I cant understand if it is temporary or permanent. I want to do what's best for my baby...

Do you suggest I spay now or wait until first heat cycle (or 9 months of age, whichever comes earlier). What are the pluses and minuses of either?

Thank you so much for your wisdom!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
My vet told me she wanted to wait until mine weighed 4 pounds or 7 months. My older girl was 9 months when I had her spayed and my younger one was 7 months because she came into season early. Personally, I think it depends on the dog(and the vet) but 6-9 months is a general guideline. I certainly would want to avoid a heat cycle, if at all possible. (this is my vet's opinion and mine, too) Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts