Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Eek, my little Lucy's being spayed on April 11th - it's a Monday
I'm kinda scared. I talked to the vet for a while on the phone today (wow sick days - you get a lot done! I made my mom hand over the phone cuz I had some questions) All right, so I'd appreciate it if all of you experienced maltese owners could tell me if any of this is off-base. She's five months old today.

What age should she be spayed at?
-----Soon; most dogs go into heat between 6-8 months.

Will she need pre-op blood work? If so, when?
-----Yes, we'll do it whenever you'd like - the Friday before or the day of.

How long will she be with you?
-----You'll drop her off between 8 and 8:30 and she should be done by 4.

What type of anethesia?
-----"Isoflourine" (sorry guys, dont know how to spell it)

Will you take out any remaining baby teeth?
-----Yes, if needed.

Is there anything we need to do at home?
-----Just make sure she's relaxed and comfortable. Have food available to her; soft if she's not eating the kibble. She most likely won't be licking the wound, but if she does, an Elizabethean cone will be given to you.

So... should we go with her? I so dearly want to make sure my baby goes through surgery ok. She's 3 1/4 pounds, and while I know thats not extremely small, she seems so delicate when I'm holding her

Oh, another question - do they act any differently after the spay? Is it permanent?

Feedback is GREATLY appreciated!!

EDIT: The vet called to ask us if we wanted to reschedule for March 21, to pretty much eliminate the chance of her going into heat before. We said yes - do you think it's too soon?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Holliberry@Mar 9 2005, 04:44 PM
Aww I dont have advice just wanted to offer some support
  We will be doing this soon too and I know how nervous you must be. 

janet and phoebe
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41515
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I didn't think I'd be this stressed, but I realized she'd turned five months old and wham.. the spay has to be soon. Good luck with Phoebe

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Everything sounds alright. I don't know about the after spay changes though. When Peanut was neutered the only real change I saw was that he stopped humping!!!
The vet should have told you about the night before's feeding schedule. Peanut was no food after 9pm the night before. His recent surgery was no food after 6pm the night before.

I don't know what you meant by 'should we go with her'. I just dropped Peanut off and they called throughout the day with his progress until it was time for me to pick him up. I got nothing done that day because I was a nervous wreck waiting to hear from the vet's office, but he's fine.

Lucy will be fine!!! Good luck with the procedure!!! Give her a big hug for me!!!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Mar 9 2005, 04:45 PM
Everything sounds alright.  I don't know about the after spay changes though.  When Peanut was neutered the only real change I saw was that he stopped humping!!!
The vet should have told you about the night before's feeding schedule.  Peanut was no food after 9pm the night before.  His recent surgery was no food after 6pm the night before.
Haha I definitely think the no humping thing is a plus! :D The vet told us no food after 6:30 and no drinks after midnight, so that seems on par.

I don't know what you meant by 'should we go with her'.  I just dropped Peanut off and they called throughout the day with his progress until it was time for me to pick him up.  I got nothing done that day because I was a nervous wreck waiting to hear from the vet's office, but he's fine.[/B]
I meant, does this vet sound like an allright one for the spay. Whoops
I'm sure to be a nervous wreck too...

Lucy will be fine!!!  Good luck with the procedure!!!  Give her a big hug for me!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41518
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you, you've certainly eased some of my fears.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sounds good to me...you vet has responded with best practice responses...

One suggestion I always mention: request pain medication for her. Some vets don't prescribe it unless you ask. This is just in case she's in discomfort after the surgery. We used it on Sylphide for a couple of days.

As for changes in personality and behavior--I've had several female dogs in my lifetime, all of them spayed. None of them had any personality changes after the spay. Sylphide was back to her playful self within less than a couple of days.

My guess is that Lucy will be her usual self. She probably won't even notice that anything happened.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 9 2005, 04:49 PM
I don't know what you meant by 'should we go with her'.  I just dropped Peanut off and they called throughout the day with his progress until it was time for me to pick him up.  I got nothing done that day because I was a nervous wreck waiting to hear from the vet's office, but he's fine.

Thank you, you've certainly eased some of my fears.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41521
[/QUOTE]
Oops! I misread. I thought 'her' was Lucy
Long day.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 9 2005, 06:11 PM
Thank you Sylphides Mom - you stopped me from freaking out too much

Btw your babies are adorable

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41525
[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome. I know how nerve wrecking this is...sending our babies in for surgery is such a scary step! You're doing the right thing, and she'll be such a happier little furbaby for it. Shrek will be next for us---but he's just 14 weeks, and won't be neutered until he's 5-6 months old. I'll be nervous again, even though I know he'll be just fine

Thanks for the compliments on our babies. Lucy is just beautiful!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sounds good. And I DO think your baby is itty bitty. Noriko is 4.7 lbs and her doctor said that is the smallest baby he's done!

As far as feeding, give a little at a time depending on her. Both my babies were weak so I had to soak their food so that they'll eat. My vet told me to give them no water or food when you you take them home that night, but I couldnt do that. I had to give them water. They didnt want to eat the first night anyway.

The no humping after spay is great! I just thought it was sooo disgusting esp. because she's a girl!

Keep her confined for the next (at least) week. Don't let her move around alot.

I don't think you really had to reschedule your appt. for an earlier date, but it's still ok if you did since she's 5 mos.

That's all I can think of. Take Care!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by SylphidesMom+Mar 9 2005, 05:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@Mar 9 2005, 06:11 PM
Thank you Sylphides Mom - you stopped me from freaking out too much

Btw your babies are adorable

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41525
You are very welcome. I know how nerve wrecking this is...sending our babies in for surgery is such a scary step! You're doing the right thing, and she'll be such a happier little furbaby for it. Shrek will be next for us---but he's just 14 weeks, and won't be neutered until he's 5-6 months old. I'll be nervous again, even though I know he'll be just fine

Thanks for the compliments on our babies. Lucy is just beautiful!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41538
[/B][/QUOTE]

Aw thanks
I'm soo nervous but I know it's for the best soooo.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 9 2005, 05:47 PM
Sounds good.  And I DO think your baby is itty bitty.  Noriko is 4.7 lbs and her doctor said that is the smallest baby he's done!

As far as feeding, give a little at a time depending on her.  Both my babies were weak so I had to soak their food so that they'll eat.  My vet told me to give them no water or food when you you take them home that night, but I couldnt do that.  I had to give them water.  They didnt want to eat the first night anyway.   

The no humping after spay is great!  I just thought it was sooo disgusting esp. because she's a girl!

Keep her confined for the next (at least) week.  Don't let her move around alot. 

I don't think you really had to reschedule your appt. for an earlier date, but it's still ok if you did since she's 5 mos. 

That's all I can think of.  Take Care!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41539
[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU for being so knowledgeable. This is our first puppy, so it's all new
Lucy hasn't been TOO MUCH of a humper, only with one pink bunny. Eek. lol

We just wanted to be careful with the rescheduling, I would hate for her to go into a young heat and have her be more at risk for cancer, etc.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We just had our puppy spayed on 2/27. She was just a few days shy of six months. And she topped the scales at 3.6 lbs. A few things to note, first and most important, they can have a reaction to the anesthesia used. Our pup developed diarrhea that lasted about 24 hours. According to our vet, this is somewhat common in little white dogs. Also, once she came home it took her two days to feel back to normal. The vet kept her overnight for observation. Ours is staffed 24/7/365. The vet also had her on a special diet for the first five days which consisted of boiled chicken and rice. We didn't have any baby teeth removed because the vet felt that the remaining ones she has would fall out on their own, and pulling them too early can result in damage to the adult tooth and gum. If the teeth do need to be pulled, the vet can do this with a sedative rather than putting her under. Our vet used internal stitches, and I have to say, her scar is already completely healed. If you didn't know where it was, you'd never see it. The vet used a long acting numbing injection to minimize pain at the incision site. Be prepared for itchy skin on your baby...they shave the belly and when the fur begins to grow back in, it itches. Have you had your puppy micro-chipped? If not, you may want to consider doing this while she is under. The most important thing is to keep her quiet for the first few days at home. She will be fine.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by saltymalty@Mar 9 2005, 07:31 PM
We just had our puppy spayed on 2/27.  She was just a few days shy of six months.  And she topped the scales at 3.6 lbs.  A few things to note, first and most important, they can have a reaction to the anesthesia used.  Our pup developed  diarrhea that lasted about 24 hours.  According to our vet, this is somewhat common in little white dogs.  Also, once she came home it took her two days to feel back to normal.  The vet kept her overnight for observation.  Ours is staffed 24/7/365.  The vet also had her on a special diet for the first five days which consisted of boiled chicken and rice.  We didn't have any baby teeth removed because the vet felt that the remaining ones she has would fall out on their own, and pulling them too early can result in damage to the adult tooth and gum.  If the teeth do need to be pulled, the vet can do this with a sedative rather than putting her under.  Our vet used internal stitches, and I have to say, her scar is already completely healed.  If you didn't know where it was, you'd never see it.  The vet used a long acting numbing injection to minimize pain at the incision site.  Be prepared for itchy skin on your baby...they shave the belly and when the fur begins to grow back in, it itches.  Have you had your puppy micro-chipped?  If not, you may want to consider doing this while she is under.  The most important thing is to keep her quiet for the first few days at home.  She will be fine.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41569
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for being completely honest with me

Thanks also for all the info - we were thinking about microchipping, so that sounds smart.

I feel bad for my little itchy puppy already lol

Anyways thanks again you're awesome

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds like u got great advice...ur vet uses the safest anesthesia available. im sure she will pull through with flying colors!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Mar 9 2005, 07:31 PM
We just had our puppy spayed on 2/27.  She was just a few days shy of six months.  And she topped the scales at 3.6 lbs.  A few things to note, first and most important, they can have a reaction to the anesthesia used.  Our pup developed  diarrhea that lasted about 24 hours.  According to our vet, this is somewhat common in little white dogs.  Also, once she came home it took her two days to feel back to normal.  The vet kept her overnight for observation.  Ours is staffed 24/7/365.  The vet also had her on a special diet for the first five days which consisted of boiled chicken and rice.  We didn't have any baby teeth removed because the vet felt that the remaining ones she has would fall out on their own, and pulling them too early can result in damage to the adult tooth and gum.  If the teeth do need to be pulled, the vet can do this with a sedative rather than putting her under.  Our vet used internal stitches, and I have to say, her scar is already completely healed.  If you didn't know where it was, you'd never see it.  The vet used a long acting numbing injection to minimize pain at the incision site.  Be prepared for itchy skin on your baby...they shave the belly and when the fur begins to grow back in, it itches.  Have you had your puppy micro-chipped?  If not, you may want to consider doing this while she is under.  The most important thing is to keep her quiet for the first few days at home.  She will be fine.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41569
[/QUOTE]

I guess each vet is different... and each dog..... Kallie didn't have any diarrhea at all or any stomach upset. She has an "iron" stomach. I don't recall her exact weight but I would guess that she was about 5 pounds when she was spayed. She ate normally... no special diet. My vet uses external stitches. He does internal stitching for inner layers but outside stitches, too. They are sort of a metal material. Kallie didn't have any itchy skin or any symptoms of any kind. It may be because she was larger. She had to spend one night there and it is not a 24/7 facility. At the time, I didn't put up a fuss about it but I would never accept that arrangement again. At the time she was spayed, the clinic was open until 10:00 pm and I should have picked up her just before closing. Oh well... as they say, "live and learn".

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 9 2005, 07:44 PM
sounds like u got great advice...ur vet uses the safest anesthesia available.  im sure she will pull through with flying colors!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41575
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reassurance
You have nooo idea how much I appreciate it lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts