Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruby is 8 months old and weighs around 3.9 lbs. My vet, whom I totally trust, doesn't want to spay her until she is at least 4 pounds. What if she never gets to 4 pounds? She has been at 3.9 for a good month or two. He said if we have to wait until she's a year old, so be it. He also doesn't see any problem with her going through one heat. I'm glad he's being cautious, but will there be any problems with her going through a heat. What do you all think? Also, when should I expect her first heat? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by mimi2@Sep 24 2005, 10:38 PM
Ruby is 8 months old and weighs around 3.9 lbs.  My vet, whom I totally trust, doesn't want to spay her until she is at least 4 pounds. What if she never gets to 4 pounds? She has been at 3.9 for a good month or two.  He said if we have to wait until she's a year old, so be it.  He also doesn't see any problem with her going through one heat.  I'm glad he's being cautious, but will there be any problems with her going through a heat.  What do you all think?  Also, when should I expect her first heat?  Thanks!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103089
[/QUOTE]

You are fortunate to have a vet who is cautious with your baby. Waiting to spay does increase the cancer risk, but only by a small (a very few percent) with just one heat.
As for when the first one will occur, you can start watching for it in a few weeks. I would think nine to ten months would be about average time for the first one.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by mimi2@Sep 25 2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks LucyLou, looks like I need to find some doggie diapers.   

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103174
[/QUOTE]

Normally the smaller girls do not come into heat as young as the larger girls. Sassy was almost eight months old when she was spayed at 4 lbs. and she never had a heat.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 26 2005, 07:54 AM
Research indicates that dogs spayed prior to their first heat have less than a half of one percent chance of experiencing mammary cancer as compared to an eight percent chance after the second heat.

From http://www.oregonvma.org/petowners/spayneuter.asp
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103467
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the article Ladysmom, my vet doesn't want to spay her until she's at least 4 pounds. Right now she's 3 pounds 9 ounces. I trust my vet completely, and can't make him do something he doesn't feel comfortable doing. She will be spayed when he says its ok.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Absolutely, go with what your vet advises. That was just an FYI, to post the actual percentage for cancer risk for spaying after the first heat since Lucy Lou brought it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts