Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8 months ago my mothers long haired cihuahua Gidget got spayed. Shortly after you could see her hair line on her belly receeding. At first we didnt think anything of it then it soon spread to her whole chest and belly. We took her to the vet they did scrapings to make sure it wasnt a mite or something like that. It came back clear we left it at that. Last week we had to take her to get her heart checked on it was sounding funny. Our vet checked her thyroid levels to see if that could cause the hair loss. They are normal. The vet told us that just like menapausal women dogs can loose their hair after a spay. Althought it is very uncommon. It does happen and with out replacement therapy it will continue. I'm well aware of the benefits of spaying and as Prissy will be going in to get Spayed soon I thought of this.

Have any of you had this problem with your spayed females?

I would hate for Prissy to loose her coat

·
Registered
7,741 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I've had 3 spayed females (2 malts; 1 Irish setter) in my adult life and none had this problem. However, I would rather they had baldness than breast cancer, false pregnancy and the other conditions associated with not being spayed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jul 14 2005, 07:44 PM
i know that chis and other breeds like bostons and dachshunds get what is called "pattern baldness"  and it is hair loos in the pattern you are describing...under the neck on the belly and back of legs.  here is a link on it http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/dermatol...%20baldness.htm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81475
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info thats a great article I fowarded it to my mom. However I dont think this is whats going on because she just turned 8. The vet said it was very rare to have this problem but due to the test he has ran we cant really pin point any other reason. It happened right after the spay. She never had any issues with her coat before I was checking her out and it has spread to her sides and on the underside of her tail. Its not like clumps or bald spots its just receeding and her skin underneath is perfect. Just one of those things that makes you think HUMMM...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts