Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Jessy and Jasmine have appointments to get spayed, next Friday
. Jessy has a heat coming up in July so I want to get her done before then and Jazzy,( who I thought was spayed when I got her last July
had a light heat in November), has come into heat again today. She is spotting lightly just like she did with her other heat. My question is, is it ok to get her spayed anyways next Friday or will she still be in heat? And if she is still in heat , are there any complications in doing the surgery?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
You need to ask your vet. I know that some don't like to do it when the b i t c h is in heat. So better ask your vet if he is confortable doing it.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I have a feeling your vet may ask you to wait till the heat is over, you definately should ask, it may be risky to go ahead. I did find this in a search.

Question:
<span style="font-family:Optima">A female should be spayed before her first cycle ideally – though spaying at any age has more benefits than not spaying. While most vets prefer to perform the surgery in dogs not currently in heat, most surgeons will still spay a dog when in heat. There is often a small additional charge for this, as there is more time and attention needed during the surgery due to the increased blood supply to the uterus during a heat cycle. But, spaying a dog when in heat is far better than waiting and perhaps having other serious consequences, such as unwanted pregnancy, disease or illness contracted from other dogs she may be seeking to mate with.</span>

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you can keep her confined, I would prefer to wait 3-4 months after she finishes her heat. While it certainly can be done during the cycle, there is increased blood flow to the uterus, it is enlarged, and the risk of bleeding and complications is increased. Talk to your vet about it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I will call the vet tomorrow. Do their heats normally last 10 days? Won't she be pretty much done by next Friday? I hate to sound dumb but this is my first dog that I have owned that has had a heat because I have always had them spayed before 6 months old.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
They usually only bleed for a week or two but aren't fertile until later in the month. You need to keep your dog under strict supervision, never out alone, away from intact males for a full 3-4 weeks from the time she starts bleeding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 21 2005, 10:49 PM
They usually only bleed for a week or two but aren't fertile until later in the month. You need to keep your dog under strict supervision, never out alone, away from intact males for a full 3-4 weeks from the time she starts bleeding.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74364
[/QUOTE]

MY little dogs are never out alone. I have a 6 foot fence around my whole back yard, plus I stand out on the deck the entire time they are out, then they come back in once they are done
. I'm going to call my vet this morning and I will let you all know what he says. Thanks for your replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts