Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Bella 10 years old Maltese
3 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear of your baby’s diagnosis- our female Maltese was diagnosed with gme at 18 months and I know how totally stunned and devastated we were and we felt just as you did - that she came to live with Us for a reason - we had the means to treat her as it is very costly with no pet insurance and secondly we would have done anything to keep her healthy and we did - I hope they will discuss other Meds with you such as Cytosar which is chemo
And another immunosuppressant such as mycophenelate- which saved our dog’s life - prednisone is necessary and must be given immediately and in a large dose to get the inflammation under control- but it shouldn’t be the only Med that is used - with gme you have to owe every tool in the toolbox
Regarding whether to tell your breeder. _ absolutely you should - the breeder needs to know not to breed Bella’s parents ever again and while the brothers may not have it they may be carriers
I am so so sorry for you and Bella but with the right care and treatment there is much they can do
I’m praying for you all
Xoxoxo
I too have a Bella who was diagnosed last February with GME. She is 10 years old. I noticed her legs slipping and her walking up against things because of her difficulty walking. We were referred to a neurologist who diagnosed her. She is on prednisone and she gets 2 injections of chemo called cyterabean. ( I hope I spelt that right) monthly. She responded very well and they started to decrease her prednisone and spread out her chemo to 6 weeks a part. Unfortunately she relapsed. We have to keep her on Chemo every 4 weeks and prednisone for the rest of her life. We too love our precious Bella and will do whatever it takes to give her the best quality of life. She is our baby too.
One thing I am doing to help keep her liver enzymes down is giving her SameLQ 225 and it has really helped. You can get this from Chewy.com.
We also have another Maltese named Baylee who has PLE Protein Loosing Enteritis. She is now on chemo too. We are having a difficult time getting her blood albumin up past 1.8. She sees an internist and is on dexamethosone injections daily. We are so fortunate to have health insurance on these fur babies.
If they have not tried the chemo for your Bella you may want to mention it. It really is helping my Bella. My thoughts and prayers are with your precious Bella

·
Registered
Bella 10 years old Maltese
3 Posts
Thank you to all of you who have responded to my queries and sent prayers and messages ... this is truly a wonderful place to belong and I am grateful to have found this forum. Well, we have had a couple of weeks now and I have updates! Our Bella had an extensive neuro re-eval and follow-up earlier this week. She is doing wonderfully so far and the neurologist has upped her Prednisone dose to the max (for her weight) in the hopes of completely suppressing her immune system and killing the active flare-up of GME completely. BTW, Bella has the MUE form of GME - Meningoencephalomyelitis of Unknown Origin (meaning, non-infectious and auto-immune related). Bella is tolerating the upped Prednisone dose just fine; she is drinking a ton of water and is very hungry all the time (hard for us to see her this way but we can't keep feeding her!). No other side effects so far - fingers tightly crossed! She will be on this dose for 3-weeks and then starts the Cytosar (Cytarabine) chemo infusion every 4-weeks. At this time, he will start the taper off the Prednisone. The Dr. says he thinks she should get at least 5 consistent months of the infusion before he will try to extend the time between infusions. The rest remains to be seen. ABSOLUTELY NO MORE IMMUNIZATIONS per the neuro - it is the one thing that has been proven over and over again to flare up GME episodes! We are staying hopeful and optimistic. Unfortunately, her Chiari-like malformation is the other major issue she is dealing with. That will need some management in the future also, but for now, we need to get the GME in remission. The chemo infusions run around $1200/month (!!!). I am really hoping that our medical insurance will help pay for it. I wonder if there is anyone here who has dealt with a Maltese with Chiari? Apparently, it is most common in Cavalier King Charles.

I am asking for any thoughts or tips on how to deal with a super immunosuppressed doggie .... any input is appreciated! I am being told to be careful of how she is exposed. No more dog parks for us! We have already made arrangements with our groomer who will come home and help us out. I am getting a doggie stroller so she can still go out and walk with us and we can pop her in when she is too tired to walk herself. And the Dr suggested we turn to cooked food now; Bella currently eats raw beef & lamb interchangeably from Small Batch. We have started giving her some fresh, steamed veggies for snacks (she is just so hungry all the time!), she loves blueberries, and sweet potato. I am changing her treats from raw to jerky style ones. I would really appreciate any help with cooking her food. I am happy to buy quality lamb and beef and cook it but am not sure how to make her food complete with all the nutrients she needs? Add a meal mixer? I heard that Fish Oils are good for the central nervous system so I will look into that supplement too. I know that her liver enzymes will be monitored so we may need to add the SameLQ (thank you Bella Maltese's mom!).

Thank you again for all your support!
Fahreen Xox
I am so glad you are able to get your Bella the treatment that we are doing for our Bella. My Bella is doing great right now and I swear by the Same LQ supplement to help her liver enzymes. I would be interested what you are using to feed your Bella. I had to put my Bella on a special diet because she developed bladder stones on top of everything else. The new dog food actually worked to dissolve the badder stones so I have to keep her on it for now. The prednisone does make them very hungry and urinate a lot more. I give ours green beans as a snack. Are blueberries ok to give them. If so I will get her some. She would love it. I would be curious to know what the meal mixer is too. Continual prayers for your Bella.
Bella Maltese mom ( Lisa)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts