Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
That's great news that it's not her spine!!!! Do you have her on a joint supplement. I have had great success with Cosequin DS sprinkle capsules. Again, I'm so happy to hear it's not her spine.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's great news that it's not her spine!!!! Do you have her on a joint supplement. I have had great success with Cosequin DS sprinkle capsules. Again, I'm so happy to hear it's not her spine.
Kathy...that’s a great suggestion. Is that a prescription? I have never giving any joint supplements before because I’ve never needed too, but now I will. The neurologist only called in gabapentin for pain and I think it helps with inflammation.

I’m still trying to comprehend how the ER said she was in excruciating pain if they touched her back, and it was all spine and it was knee related 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
The cosequin is not a prescription. My vet just orders it in for me because they don't carry it. When I first got it for Pipper years ago he wouldn't put any weight on one leg while standing still. After a few weeks on the cosequin he never held his leg up again. I use sprinkle capsules and just sprinkle half of a capsule daily in his food.

Maybe Ling Ling was feeling a referred pain in her back but it was actually coming from her knees.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The cosequin is not a prescription. My vet just orders it in for me because they don't carry it. When I first got it for Pipper years ago he wouldn't put any weight on one leg while standing still. After a few weeks on the cosequin he never held his leg up again. I use sprinkle capsules and just sprinkle half of a capsule daily in his food.

Maybe Ling Ling was feeling a referred pain in her back but it was actually coming from her knees.
Kathy...is this the one you order? I’ll order it from Chewy. NUTRAMAX Cosequin Maximum Strength (DS) Capsules Joint Health Dog Supplement, 132 count - Chewy.com

Thankyou again for the suggestion. I definitely don’t want her to have surgery and if this can help in anyway, I will be thrilled.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Yes thats the one I have. Only difference is that its triple the price here in Canada 😲
The dosage starts for a 10 lb dog, which Pipper is, so you might have to adjust it a bit but the capsules pull apart so you can use as much or little of the powder as you want.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes thats the one I have. Only difference is that its triple the price here in Canada 😲
The dosage starts for a 10 lb dog, which Pipper is, so you might have to adjust it a bit but the capsules pull apart so you can use as much or little of the powder as you want.
Ok, great, thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
17,565 Posts
Our prayers have been answered! Little Ling-Ling may benefit from this so we are hopeful. It did not help Kitzi but that is another story. It does help most dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prayers continue. Thank you God.

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Our prayers have been answered! Little Ling-Ling may benefit from this so we are hopeful. It did not help Kitzi but that is another story. It does help most dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prayers continue. Thank you God.
Kitzel had LP surgery? is that why he limps? Lacie did swim therapy and acupuncture as a puppy because she was too weak to be put under and was told if I continued to exercise her, the muscle around the kneecap would act like a cage and support the kneecap from slipping. It’s always worked, so I’m really surprised it hasn’t worked for Ling Ling with all the walking they do.
i might have to consider surgery if the supplements and pain killer dont help, though I hear the arthritis after surgery, is worse than the surgery itself 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
Wow. Glad it is just a LP. Luck had one, and I had to massage it back into place a couple of times. Once I needed the vet to reseat it. Good luck - that is such a relief.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Wow. Glad it is just a LP. Luck had one, and I had to massage it back into place a couple of times. Once I needed the vet to reseat it. Good luck - that is such a relief.
It is such a relief. I did not need the worry of a spine issue.
thanks again, walter!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am so happy to hear that it is not IVDD or any other spine issue! Hopefully you can find something to help her with her knee.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am so happy to hear that it is not IVDD or any other spine issue! Hopefully you can find something to help her with her knee.
Oh...thank you so much. Gosh...how that ER was so way off in diagnosis. Thankyou again for offering your experience with spine issues and IVDD. Even though it didn’t help me, it may someone else reading this thread 💕

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have experience with this? My Ling Ling is currently confined to crate rest for 8 weeks or until we can see the neurologist to see what’s going on with her spine. She’s really in a lot of pain. Her symptoms were her back legs were going out on her and she couldn’t put weight on them. When she could walk she was swaying sideways on the rear end to walk.
They dx her with herniated disc based on her examination.
The ER wants me to keep her heavily drugged these next few weeks to see if rest helps. They don’t even want her to walk outside to potty. I am to carry her.
This is so stressful keeping a dog caged when they never had to be. Poor baby doesn’t understand what’s going on. The only positive is she is soooo lovable when drugged up🤦🏻‍♀️
I only know that my 10 year old girl walks sideways. The groomer and I think she had a stroke. She has had 3 seizures in the past. I’ve taken her to 3 different Vets and they all have a different opinion! All her blood panels come back normal. I wish she could tell me what happened. Sorry to hear about your it your girl. Praying for you both!

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
I’m so happy you and Ling Ling got the correct diagnosis. LP can be very painful. I hope she feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I only know that my 10 year old girl walks sideways. The groomer and I think she had a stroke. She has had 3 seizures in the past. I’ve taken her to 3 different Vets and they all have a different opinion! All her blood panels come back normal. I wish she could tell me what happened. Sorry to hear about your it your girl. Praying for you both!
Thankyou. During her episodes, I did wonder if she was having a seizure . Thankfully, the neurologist ruled out everything. It was her knees giving out from her luxating patella.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
QUOTE="Dixie's Mama, post: 4212354, member: 4392"]
I’m so happy you and Ling Ling got the correct diagnosis. LP can be very painful. I hope she feels better soon.
[/QUOTE]
Thankyou sooo much❤ My Lacie has really bad LP’s but walking has always help keep them from popping out, whereas it strengthens the muscle around the kneecap. I’m surprised with all the walking they do, Ling Ling caused so much pain. I feel so bad.
That said, she is feeling so much better, so thanks again.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts