Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
When Bixby drinks water too fast he gags and spits up. I am assuming he does this because he is drinking too fast. He does not spit up after he eats so that is not a problem. I am wondering if this is a normal thing for him to do. It does not seem to bother him and he only spits up water. Does anyone else have this issue with their dog?

Thanks,
Kathy

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
If he is drinking too fast, you can get a slo bowl for water, that will definitely help. I would also calm him before he drinks, if he is excited. that might help him not gulp it down
If he is actually spitting it up, as if he is regurgitating, that’s a whole other issue, and could very well be a medical issue. Is he a puppy?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello,
When Bixby drinks water too fast he gags and spits up. I am assuming he does this because he is drinking too fast. He does not spit up after he eats so that is not a problem. I am wondering if this is a normal thing for him to do. It does not seem to bother him and he only spits up water. Does anyone else have this issue with their dog?

Thanks,
Kathy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi my Cody he’s 13, when he drinks water to fast sometimes he gags afterwards but that’s from the collapse trachea. I believe that’s why he does it. Nothing is wrong with him on that end. But if you mean gag and spit up that can mean the same thing and maddys mom has a fabulous idea to help the slow water bowl. That’s great! 💞🐾

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I use a water bottle for Abella - Think bunny rabbit.
Her breeder used one with all her show dogs & puppies - so Abella was used to it. The bottle keeps her long mustache and face completely dry while drinking, therefore she doesn't get tear staining from having a wet face. I should mention that some here on SM have expressed that they don't think their maltese would get enough water from a water bottle. This said, I have never had that problem with Abella. And when I travel I keep one in the car for when she gets thirsty. It works for her and I love it!

IMG_8589.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts