Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question for everyone. The title of this website is Spoiled Maltese and now that I have gotten to know some of you, I see that it is pretty aptly named. :) But I don't blame any of you! Those cute lil faces with those pretty black eyes and the sweetest, most fun personality... just love 'em!

Anyway, my question is how spoiled is too spoiled and what is a serious consequence of having spoiled dogs? I know I asked some version of this question somewhere else but I didn't get answers, really. I'm really being serious. If I 100% spoil my dogs, what is really the worst that can happen?

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I think spoiled is a term that can be used in different ways.

Hunter is highly spoiled in this house. He gets the best food/treats we can afford, he gets tons of love and attention, he sees the vet regularly, has lots of toys to choose from, goes on trips and vacations with us, has a huge extended family that loves him, has a few great outfits and jackets, lots of leashes/harnesses/collars, and if there is something we can purchase or do for him that will improve his quality of life we will do it.

However, Hunter has rules that he must obey and he also is very well trained. Of course, like any dog he has his 'finer' moments when his training seems to go out the window but that's not all the time and is usually an indicator that there is something wrong or he is highly uncomfortable.

Spoiled doesn't have to mean untrained or barky or unenjoyable - it just means that you give your dog the best of everything (and training is included in that) as well as unconditional love :heart:.

At least, that's how I feel about it!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
umm..well! I'd say too spoiled is when they start to develop behavioral issues, just my two cents!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. I am pretty weak when it comes to my pups. I mentioned this before... I did so much research before bringing them home and planned on being so disciplined and structured and consistent... It just does not happen.

I wouldn't say the pups are untrained or that they have behavior issues at all. They are sweet and pretty well-behaved. I would say mischievous sometimes, possibly naughty, but they are still puppies! And yes, they are spoiled with material things... all-natural food and treats, regular vet visits, tons and tons of toys and clothes and jackets and costumes, not to mention a cute two story indoor dog house and well, their own room.

I guess when I was talking spoiled, though, I meant more like... behavioral. I am not strict with them at all. I do not have them on a schedule. If they seem hungry, I feed them. If they seem antsy, I take them out. If they bark, I talk to them to quiet them down (I know that is bad!) If they jump up or play at my feet, I pick them up and cuddle them. If we're out walking and one of them (usually Tinker) doesn't want to walk on her leash anymore, I will just pick her up and snuggle her for the rest of the walk. I was told to separate the pups so they would not be so dependent on each other but... I don't do that either. I know, it's terrible but I can't stand hearing them cry. I tried but ugh. Plus, when they are both out and playing with us, they will play with each other but they definitely definitely pay attention to us and love getting affection from us. I can grab one and hold her on the couch and she will oblige and snuggle for hours if I want and her sister will be perfectly content playing on the floor.

I know everything I listed above could pretty much be in a book on how to not train your dog. Trust me, I educated myself and I know all the things I should be doing but I just am not. I am a stay at home pup mom and I spend a lot of time with them. They are my babies, I want them to be happy and, well, I just love spending time with them and cuddling them and playing with them. It's hard to crate them to train them when I am home alone and would much rather be playing or snuggling!!

I need thoughts on this.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I'd say pampered Maltese is no apropriate but it's probably taken...
Mine are definately pampered,but at least behaviourally,not spoiled,but pampered for sure..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) I like pampered instead of spoiled. That makes me feel (and look?) better! But pampered is pretty accurate... they are little princesses!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts

Hunter is highly spoiled in this house. He gets the best food/treats we can afford, he gets tons of love and attention, he sees the vet regularly, has lots of toys to choose from, goes on trips and vacations with us, has a huge extended family that loves him, has a few great outfits and jackets, lots of leashes/harnesses/collars, and if there is something we can purchase or do for him that will improve his quality of life we will do it.

However, Hunter has rules that he must obey and he also is very well trained. Of course, like any dog he has his 'finer' moments when his training seems to go out the window but that's not all the time and is usually an indicator that there is something wrong or he is highly uncomfortable.

Spoiled doesn't have to mean untrained or barky or unenjoyable - it just means that you give your dog the best of everything (and training is included in that) as well as unconditional love :heart:.

:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
My Cameo, a rescue who came to us from a home where she had been very loved, came with a charm on her collar that said Not Spoiled...Blessed. That summed it up for me.

I feel very blessed to be a Maltese Mom and I hope to make them feel like they have all the blessings they so richly deserve for all the joy they bring into my life.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree on using the term "spoiled" loosely. I imagine most of the members on the site to spoil using material things (the best tools, the best foods), and yet, they would be strict and provide appropriate training when necessary.

·
Premium Member
17,465 Posts
I am sure to be in the minority here but I can live w/that!:heart:
Our Kitzel is NOT spoiled---he IS precious, we love him endlessly and give him top notch care and attention----but we don't indulge him. He actually doesn't have a lot of material things. He has learned to spend time on his own playing, he isn't perfect in discipline but does pretty well most of the time (he is 8 months old), he is on an eating & going out schedule, sleeps in his own "pack & play" at night (but cuddles w/me in our bed when we get up in the mornings.) He gets on well w/the few other dogs he has had a chance to meet (even a few street dogs who are huge) and is accepted by many friends who are not dog people because he isn't what they call "yappy" or demanding. We do have lots of people in our home---lots w/children so we need a dog who can be a responsible member of our family.
I would encourage you to heed the advice that JMM gave to you in regard to your little ones---it is not always easy to do the "right" thing but you have to think about them and not how you feel---love doesn't always indulge; it thinks about what is the long term best thing for the other party---that might include things that don't seem fun or pleasant today.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts

I couldn't have said it better than this ^ (above) ;) yup! that is how I see it too :D

Honestly, these little ones looooove to learn and please. One of my favorite part about having a 4 legged friend is to work on learning things together. I enjoy teaching them tricks. I looooove to teach them things. They are very smart. It interests me to see them try to figure out things. They actually enjoy it too.

Kat

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts

I wouldn't say the pups are untrained or that they have behavior issues at all. They are sweet and pretty well-behaved. I would say mischievous sometimes, possibly naughty, but they are still puppies! And yes, they are spoiled with material things... all-natural food and treats, regular vet visits, tons and tons of toys and clothes and jackets and costumes, not to mention a cute two story indoor dog house and well, their own room.

I guess when I was talking spoiled, though, I meant more like... behavioral. I am not strict with them at all.
I know everything I listed above could pretty much be in a book on how to not train your dog. Trust me, I educated myself and I know all the things I should be doing but I just am not. I am a stay at home pup mom and I spend a lot of time with them. They are my babies, I want them to be happy and, well, I just love spending time with them and cuddling them and playing with them. It's hard to crate them to train them when I am home alone and would much rather be playing or snuggling!!

I need thoughts on this.
One thing you might want to consider doing is (which I think is so important): try teaching them tricks. Basic and important commands such as sit, stay come, heel..etc Trust me, it is so much fun. It creates a bond between you and the pup. The pup becomes better behaved. It also helps keeping her occupied.

Sometimes, I wish I had the enough free time to teach mine MORE!

for you to be a stay at home individual is a bonus I think :D so you can do it ;) All the best!

Kat

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, they are learning tricks. I meant to say that earlier. I know everyone probably thinks this about their own pups but they really are so so smart.

Of the two, Tinker has a more playful personality. She loooooooves playing fetch, with either a small rope or ball. That one she totally learned on her own, though. We never had to teach her, I would just throw things and she would run and bring them back to me, lol. And I have noticed lately that she is really good at standing on her hind legs. Like shockingly good. Last night she was standing for soooo long and hopped backwards about two feet in length... hahahahaha. The other thing we are working on with them is the "drop" command. You know, like playing gentle tug-of-war with a toy and then making them give it up to us. So they do have a couple of tricks.

Judging by what all of you are saying, it does not sound as though me and the pups are a lost cause. Some people here seem to be so on top of things and big fans of schedules and consistency and lots of training so I felt like I was terrible because I kind of let them do what they want. But I feel better now.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
:brownbag: My dogs are spoiled. too spoiled.

I love them too much. But then I don't think they are bad....well Abbey can be a brat and is very yappy...and a daddy's girl (life according to her is "it's all about Abbey"). But Arch is calm and sweet and just a lap dog, his greatest joy in life is to go for a walk. Ava is so small and cute we just can't help but spoil her rotten - she's as sweet as she can be...and quite a clown.
Tink, how can you spoil a knucklehead? :HistericalSmiley: He's living the good life, he's happy - that's all he knows....:blink:

They have everything...clothes, strollers, beds, toys, healthy food, take walks each day and get hugs and kisses all the time. I am the true "crazy dog lady". :blush:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts

:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I think Hunter's mom summed it up best about "spoiling." Puppies are so fun and Maltese, unlike most dogs, just get cuter and keep their puppy look. It is very hard to exercise discipline and training for these guys. What is cute when they are puppies though, will not be so cute when they are adults. My girls are very spoiled but they also have training. My girls aren't perfect. They do know basic obedience, know not to eat each other's food, are potty trained, know how to walk on a leash, and they both respect me as their leader. They are very smart, especially Lily. She knows just how far she can go with me, and at times, will test her limits, :HistericalSmiley:but she will obey. It is very much like having human children. We have to set limits for behavior or they'll turn into monsters. Because they are so sweet and lovable, you can't get mad at them. A well-behaved Maltese will be even more lovable, though.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
My Baci is spoiled rotten however the only falt i can HEAR is his barking thats the only con..the Pro's this page is not long enough .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Rebecca, I think you and your wife are doing an awesome job! It sounds like you both care very deeply about their well being.

As far as "spoiling", I think of it like raising my kids. You have seen kids that are generally well behaved, use self-control, and are resepctful...and you have seen children that are not well behaved, have no self control, and do not resepct themselves or others. Both types of children are (for the most part...baring any mental illness) products of their home environment. The child that knows self-discipline and respect was taught those things through love and discipline. Believe me, I want to think all of my children are just naturally angels, but that's not the case. :lol: Sometimes I have to be the bad Mom for the betterment of my children, sometimes I have to say "no" or punish them for their actions (even though I don't want to). (I am not saying that the child that has no self-control isn't loved though, but you get what I am saying!!)

I think the same applies to our fluffs. I have seen plenty of well-loved, well-behaved fluffs, and then I have seen well-loved little brat dogs. I think in the end, we as owners, are much happier with a disciplined dog (or kid) and the dog (or kid) live a much happier life knowing the rules and boundaries and feeling safe within them.

:)

My fluffs are spoiled in that they have all the best food, treats, water, etc. They have strollers, beds, toys, clothes, galore. They are in perfect health and are loved every minute. But they also have rules...like no potty inside, no taking food from a human, don't chase my old-lady 12 year old cat, etc. :lol: I think they are happier fluffs having those rules in place.

my .02 anyway :D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree with Kelly. In some ways there isn't a lot of difference between raising kids and puppies. They both need to learn what can, or can't go in the mouth, both need potty training, need to learn the rules of your homes. If you are fair, firm, and consistant,they will be a joy to be around.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Honestly, I think every dog should have basic manners if for no other reason than their safety. In addition, I absolutely see more behavior problems in dogs who are not taught basic manners and learn some self control.

My dogs are spoiled - toys, good food, lots of love and attention. But they can be kenneled comfortable, know their basic behaviors, can be comfortably taken anywhere without worrying about their behavior, and don't have any major behavioral issues including nuisance barking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts