Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've missed you! I've hardly been on the computer because I've been spring cleaning. You don't know what a stretch this is for me. I have a maid that comes every week and I never clean. I've been going through closets and drawers, and cabinets and bookshelves. I'm so tired of it. But I have a group of people coming to play bunco here in a few weeks and I kind of feel like I need to get "ready". Anyone else doing the dreaded spring clean?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
We are two weeks into remodeling so I have a huge mess and so when the construction is finished I will start the spring cleaning
Good for you-it will sure be nice when its finished though huh??

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom@Mar 27 2005, 12:56 AM
We are two weeks into remodeling so I have a huge mess and so when the construction is finished I will start the spring cleaning 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46491
[/QUOTE]
Ugh!!! Don't say remodel near me!!!! Our 3 month job turned into over a YEAR!!!!
I'm gettin angry just thinking about it...I learned my lesson, the next time a remodeling is needed, I'm just gonna buy a new house....

As for spring cleaning, I've cleaned the house, now it's up to someone else to sort through for things we can donate. I wish we had a maid.....Spring cleaning was like another regular day for me....

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Mar 27 2005, 12:14 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RubyJeansmom
@Mar 27 2005, 12:56 AM

Ugh!!! Don't say remodel near me!!!! Our 3 month job turned into over a YEAR!!!!
I'm gettin angry just thinking about it...I learned my lesson, the next time a remodeling is needed, I'm just gonna buy a new house....

As for spring cleaning, I've cleaned the house, now it's up to someone else to sort through for things we can donate. I wish we had a maid.....Spring cleaning was like another regular day for me....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46507
[/B][/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about remodeling (nightmare) but so far so good knock on wood....and we have alot to do so it probably will be a year

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I didn't get into spring cleaning much this time...we are hoping to move out of these apartments by the end of May, so it will be big time cleaned then. I love the feeling and smell of a clean house. I always burn this candle from walmart...it is so good it si Glazed Pecan Pie and the brand is Bakery COllection Candles. It is in a jar, I recommend it. :D

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom+Mar 27 2005, 02:30 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2005, 12:14 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-RubyJeansmom
@Mar 27 2005, 12:56 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46507

[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about remodeling (nightmare) but so far so good knock on wood....and we have alot to do so it probably will be a year

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46510
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good luck with your remodel!!! I hope it gets done quickly, and that it's everything you want!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a quick and quality job for you

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I hate to clean. My problem is that I can not find a decent cleaning lady. Everytime I hire someone they work well for the first two months (I have them come 2x per week...I've got three kids!). After that, it's down hill. I had one get into the liquor cabinet, another break some of my mother's china, and my vacuum hoses are all but completely shot. So for now, I've been borrowing my neighbor's live in.

As for remodeling, we lived through two and a half years of it. We added a 2400 sq. ft. addition. The builders basically built a house next to our existing house and broke through. We lived 9 months without a kitchen. I had my fridge, a hot plate and the microwave in the dining room. The custom cabinets were supposed to take 12 weeks, they took six months. Never ever again!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've decided to Spring Clean one room per month. That way each room gets Spring and Fall cleaned each year without the entire house in an uproar. We'll see.......Some rooms are easier than others. The dining room for instance only has a large closet on one wall full to the brim with junk that'll need to be emptied and rearranged and things discarded.

My office-boudoir-guestroom-sewing room, on the other hand has two large clothing closets, an office armoire, two large bookcases and an entertainment center and two glass display cabinets which all need cleaning out, rearranging and weeded out. Ugh!

I went the maid route once back when I was traveling a lot and could afford it more and just didn't like it. I guess I'm just too provincial because I don't like people in my private spaces. I saw a documentary about really rich people once and how, if they leave a sweater in the library it is immediately picked up, cleaned and returned to their drawer/closet. I think that would drive me crazy.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Mar 27 2005, 12:47 PM
I went the maid route once back when I was traveling a lot and could afford it more and just didn't like it.  I guess I'm just too provincial because I don't like people in my private spaces.  I saw a documentary about really rich people once and how, if they leave a sweater in the library it is immediately picked up, cleaned and returned to their drawer/closet.  I think that would drive me crazy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46565
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about having a cleaning lady. I have a lady that comes in once a month and the day before she comes....I clean!! Well, not exactly clean but I straighten up everything and unclutter, etc. And the day she comes is when I take K & C in for grooming so they won't be here. I'm paranoid about that due to some past experiences. I would rather them not be here. She doesn't mess with any of my clothes or personal things... she just cleans, dusts, mops, vacuums, etc. She usually changes the bed linens for her other clients but I don't want her messing with my bed!

And I do feel intruded upon but at least my house gets a through deep cleaning once a month..... I just don't have the inclination to do all that she does myself.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 27 2005, 11:45 AM
Haha, what a funny topic.  I love to clean.  Nothing makes me feel better than a clean house.  I don't have a cleaning lady because I feel no one could clean my house as well as I do.  I like my house scrubbed from top to bottom at least once a month.  I like all my things on the shelves to come down and be washed in hot soapy water.  I have this paranoia about dust and breathing it in (It is dead skin flakes--YUCK!).  All pictures come down off the walls and get through washing before being rehung.  I have 7 rooms in my house (about 1200 square feet) and it takes me anywhere from 10-12 hours to clean.  LOL  I like to vacuum all the bedding for dust mites as well as the couch and chairs.  I love after my house has been cleaned to sit down after a long bath and enjoy it.  I love how clean the air smell. 

Okay, so now that you think I am completely weird...Here is my really BIG confession.  I get a weird high out of throwing stuff away.  LOL  I can honestly say that I have no junk in my house.  I am so bad, that if I get a gift from someone, I might just throw it out that day.  (I know that is really bad!)  Our house has a ton of closets (7 to be exact and we had more, but I took some out to make a room larger) and they are all organized with shelves and such.  I live by that rule if you buy something new, then you have to get rid of something.  So when I go shopping, I try to throw something out.  I can't live in disorganization.  My best friend likes to come over and open my pantry because she says she has never seen a pantry where food is so organized; all label facing the same way and the food is organized by height and purpose. 
  All my drawers and cabinets are perfectly organized (Well except hubby's dresser drawers--I had to give up on them and just stop looking in there--I guess some mess has to be tolerated.  :lol: )  I have always been like this, I just can't stop! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46577
[/QUOTE]

wow-could you come to my house and help me out with the organizing?
I'm alot like you but not that much--I do love my pantry in order so I can find things easily. My closets are the WORSE though--but I DO love a clean house! I have cleaning ladies that come once a week (which we stopped for now because of the remodel)-and there are four of them there in and out of here in no time- about 1-1 1/2 hours.....

saltymalty-I know what your saying about finding good help....the same happens with us they do good for awhile then start slacking off--why is that?
I use to clean houses years ago when my children were small (I took them with me
).....and I took so much pride in what their houses look and smell like when I left
--but yes I love to clean too!!!

As far as our remodeling--we should have started years ago but so many things were happening and I lost interest--now I'm full speed ahead--and I feel like we have a excellent contractor-calls when he needs to-is here when he says--its kinda unreal ha ha (I hope I don't jinx myself)..
But were starting at the back of the house and working forward so we'll be in this mess for awhile.....oh well in two weeks I'm taking my granddaughter up the coast for a week and letting my husband deal with it for a week
I'm one of those weird people who LOVES remodeling.....

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My cleaning lady has been with me for 2 years. She is wonderful, but I went through 3 people before I found her. She is like a member of the family. I invite her to come for holidays, but she never does. Anyway, I pay her well and give her things, like 2 weeks paid vacation, that her other clients don't. I figure is she ever has to cut back on her work, I'll be the last one that she cuts out. I found out early on that she is a drinker, so we had to lock up the liquor. As long as we do that she is great. I leave money and credit cards laying around and she has never stolen a single thing. She now cleans for my best friend and my mom.

We remodeled when we moved in to this house. A 6 week project turned into 6 months but we didn't live in the house while it was being done, thank goodness. Frankly I think that tearing the house down and starting over would have been easier. It was a nightmare that I wouldn't care to repeat. They gutted the inside of the house and redid everything.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 27 2005, 01:45 PM
Haha, what a funny topic.  I love to clean.  Nothing makes me feel better than a clean house.  I don't have a cleaning lady because I feel no one could clean my house as well as I do.  I like my house scrubbed from top to bottom at least once a month.  I like all my things on the shelves to come down and be washed in hot soapy water.  I have this paranoia about dust and breathing it in (It is dead skin flakes--YUCK!).  All pictures come down off the walls and get through washing before being rehung.  I have 7 rooms in my house (about 1200 square feet) and it takes me anywhere from 10-12 hours to clean.  LOL  I like to vacuum all the bedding for dust mites as well as the couch and chairs.  I love after my house has been cleaned to sit down after a long bath and enjoy it.  I love how clean the air smell. 

Okay, so now that you think I am completely weird...Here is my really BIG confession.  I get a weird high out of throwing stuff away.  LOL  I can honestly say that I have no junk in my house.  I am so bad, that if I get a gift from someone, I might just throw it out that day.  (I know that is really bad!)  Our house has a ton of closets (7 to be exact and we had more, but I took some out to make a room larger) and they are all organized with shelves and such.  I live by that rule if you buy something new, then you have to get rid of something.  So when I go shopping, I try to throw something out.  I can't live in disorganization.  My best friend likes to come over and open my pantry because she says she has never seen a pantry where food is so organized; all label facing the same way and the food is organized by height and purpose. 
  All my drawers and cabinets are perfectly organized (Well except hubby's dresser drawers--I had to give up on them and just stop looking in there--I guess some mess has to be tolerated.  :lol: )  I have always been like this, I just can't stop! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46577
[/QUOTE]

You know, you should seek some help for that disorder of yours!
J/K!!!! Maybe you need some kids!
That is when my cleaning bone went COMPLETELY down the drain! Once they are toddlers....it goes WAY down-hill from there! I gave up! HA! I dust when my kids start writing in the tv screen!
HA! Just kidding...I am not THAT bad...but almost!
Didn't used to be...I have more fun things to do with my time....like play hang-man and curl hair, and paint little fingernails, and throw darts.
Much more fun and fulfilling than cleaning! :D

I hired a cleaning lady ONE TIME because we were having friends in for a college homecoming weekend. The lady came highly recommended..and I was envious of my friends talking about coming home on Friday's to a clean smelling house. So, I hired this lady and thought if she did a good job, I would hire her a couple times a month. WELL, I came home from work, my company was going to be there in less than two hours. I was SO disappointed in the house! I had done somewhat like K/C mom because I had gone through the house the night before and cleaned cabinets off, de-cluttered, picked up the kids' rooms etc. The cleaning lady did such an awful job that I had to go behind her and re-do just about everything. I had left her a check when I left, so she had already been paid. If I didn't know better, I could have sworn she had not touched A THING!
That was the first/last time I did that. I told my friends how disappointed I was in her. (the ones that recommended her) Come to find out, several of them fired her soon after that because she slacked with them too.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
"Frankly I think that tearing the house down and starting over would have been easier. It was a nightmare that I wouldn't care to repeat. They gutted the inside of the house and redid everything. "

Never have there been more true words spoken! We did just about everything at one time...our original house is almost 100 years old, so we upgraded the wiring which hadn't been touched since 1970, and we redid the plumbing which was all original. It was a job. The extra expense of renting a place for a year would have been worth it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
What is spring cleaning?!?!?! HAHAH I do not clean when the season tells me to. LOL I clean whenever I feel like it. I mean MAJOR cleaning! When I start to feel yucki in my home, then thats when the cleaning machine comes out of me. I guess most people start to feel yucki during spring! LOL.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I too love to clean. I love to organize my stuff. I just got done moving out of my apartment, and it couldn't have come at a better time. I threw SO much stuff away. I use the "if you can't remember the last time you saw/touched/wore the item THROW IT AWAY" rule. I can't believe how much I threw away or donated.
Now, I am so organized and clutter free! I love the feeling.
When I do my normal spring cleaning I always rearrange my furniture. Of course this is when I can get people to help, so moving helped this time! I really went for a "relaxed" feeling in my bedroom... my walls are lilac, and my rooms smells of lavender and vanilla! I slept so good last night, everything was all neat and dust free!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I too love to toss stuff out, I really like to toss Joe's stuff when he's not around!!
He will say, "hey honey did you see my (fill in the blank), I just smile and say, no dear I haven't seen it. He usually looks for a day or two and then thinks he's had a "senior moment" and HE must of thrown it out. But, he has never thrown anything out in his life

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Mar 28 2005, 02:28 PM
I too love to toss stuff out, I really like to toss Joe's stuff when he's not around!!

He will say, "hey honey did you see my (fill in the blank), I just smile and say, no dear I haven't seen it.  He usually looks for a day or two and then thinks he's had a "senior moment" and HE must of thrown it out.  But, he has never thrown anything out in his life

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46925
[/QUOTE]
I LOVE that!! Ron has a box by his desk of stuff I put in there for him to check out if he wants to keep the stuff or not....he NEVER even looks in there--thanks for the idea!!
I'm going to start throwing stuff out little by little in that box...he'll never miss it anyway!!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't especially like to clean, but I like a clean house. Since I have never been satisfied with the few cleaning ladies I had (you can count them on one hand), I am the cleaning lady.

We also are in the process of doing some stuff to the house. We already had repainted the family room and ceiling of the kitchen (we had to hire someone because the ceiling in the family room is too high for us to climb a ladder). I just finished putting up the wall paper in the breakfeast area and today repainted the pantry doors and kitchen door. Tomorrow we will get the new windows put in (family room only) and I will have to repaint the frame. They will also start tomorrow to redo our shower. No choice there, we have a leak. So we decided to throw out the bath tub and make the shower bigger.

As you can see my house will be a mess for at least another 2 weeks. Then I can clean. But in May I am going on a VACATION.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Well everybody came yesterday. And some more. What a day. It started with no warm water in the morning to take a shower. So we called ARS Express. Plumber came and replaced the water heater (14 years old). My husband asks him to take a look under the sink because the water from the disposal is sometimes running back in the dishwasher. He takes a look and points to the disposal to show us it's almost rusted thru on the bottom. So he changed the disposal. Since he was here we had him change the valves on the washer. It was an expensive day.
Besides that the contractor for the shower came, the guy for the windows came and the painters came. The guy with the windows could not finish installing and will come back on Saturday. So it's not over with the mess yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts