Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Stainless Steel bowls

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  elliesmomie 
#1 ·
i finally have gotten around to changing l.e.'s food and water bowls to the stainless steel ones. i know they are better for her, but she seems so scared of them. i think it's all the reflections she sees in the bowls. she just sits back and growls and barks at the bowls because she's frustrated. i know she's thirtsy but i don't know how to make them seem less scary. did anyone else have this problem? any suggestion would be a great help!

#3 ·
Originally posted by elliesmomie@May 21 2005, 10:22 PM
i finally have gotten around to changing l.e.'s food and water bowls to the stainless steel ones.  i know they are better for her, but she seems so scared of them.  i think it's all the reflections she sees in the bowls.  she just sits back and growls and barks at the bowls because she's frustrated.  i know she's thirtsy but i don't know how to make them seem less scary.  did anyone else have this problem?  any suggestion would be a great help!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64215
[/QUOTE]

:D This made me giggle thinking about that sweet baby barking at her food bowls... :lol: They are SO funny!

I don't have a good suggestion...I guess maybe try to find something she REALLY likes and put it in the bowl, and see if that helps her get used to it...
Maybe drop her favorite ball or ice cubes or something in the water dish to make her want to go investigate?

Is the outside of the bowl stainless too? If so, maybe you can try to find one of the bowls that are like plastic or crocks on the outside, and the stainless bowls just sit down in them? Maybe that won't look so scary.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Originally posted by elliesmomie@May 21 2005, 11:22 PM
i finally have gotten around to changing l.e.'s food and water bowls to the stainless steel ones.  i know they are better for her, but she seems so scared of them.  i think it's all the reflections she sees in the bowls.  she just sits back and growls and barks at the bowls because she's frustrated.  i know she's thirtsy but i don't know how to make them seem less scary.  did anyone else have this problem?  any suggestion would be a great help!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64215
[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, Kallie had a similar problem with the food bowl. I started using a very small Corning Ware bowl for her and still do. It is the one that is sort of square with little handles on the side. I feel that if it is safe for humans it's safe for her. For a while I thought her problem was with bowls in general so I fed her on an extra salad plate that goes with my dinnerware.

You could do a similar thing with her water, just using a larger Corning Ware bowl....

#6 ·
thank you all so much for the suggestions. i will try the peanut butter when i get home tonight. i went back to her plastic bowls yesterday because i didn't want her to go hungry because mom decided to change her bowls.
i went so far as to get down on all fours and stick my head in the bowls thinking that if she saw me using them that they wouldn't seem so scary... it didn't work and i just made myself laugh about it!! :D

if i can't get any tricks to work, i'll have to go get ceramic bowls.

#9 ·
i went out and bought two ceramic bowls to replace the stainless steel ones. she's been eating and drinking fine from the ceramic ones now. but what i think is funny is that a friend of mine has l.e.'s half sister and when they play together, l.e. will drink water out of a stainless steel bowl at my friend's house. i saw her do this for the first time saturday and thought "what a bugger!" she'll use the bowl just fine at my friend's house but not at mine. what a funny and picky little girl i have!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.