Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am certaintly no good at it, right now i have the flu, strept throat, AND, conjunctivitus, i dont know how i mangaged to do this but i just want to know what you do to stay healthy because i must be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Goodness I'm sorry

But I totalllllly sympathize with you. I'm sick all the time =\ I had mono since the beginning of the year and my immune system's pretty much shot now lol. I actually got a blood test yesterday to figure out what's goin on.

Anyways sorry for rambling. Feel muchmuch better!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm always sick too. I swear, if someone sneezes within a mile of me, I come down with the flu. My immune system has always been pretty weak. I just got a blood test a couple of days ago to figure out why I keep getting sick. I hope you feel better. I had conjuctivitis a month ago, it really sucked!!! Feel better real soon!!!!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Feb 19 2005, 10:47 AM
I'm always sick too.  I swear, if someone sneezes within a mile of me, I come down with the flu.  My immune system has always been pretty weak.  I just got a blood test a couple of days ago to figure out why I keep getting sick.  I hope you feel better.  I had conjuctivitis a month ago, it really sucked!!!  Feel better real soon!!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36318
[/QUOTE]

You sound EXACTLY like me

·
Registered
478 Posts
I never get sick (knock on wood)

I high a HIGH intake of fiber and daily intake of vitamin C, vitamin E, and Ginsing via supplement.

I drank orange juice just about every day, eat oranges all the time (my favorite snack), and partake in large consumptions of water.

I eat lots of meats and greens (spinach--the best), green beans, asparagus, and many other vegetables.

I try to stay away from sugars and carbs, which doing this, I lost over 12 lbs in January.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so it sounds like that fact i am in school is a big factor in me getting sick lol, i blame that on those rules that say if you miss x amount of school no matter what your grades you fail they make people go to school when they are sick and get everyone else sick. A few years ago my doctor really thought i had mono i must have had blood drawn 5 times in 2 months testing for it and other things, i never had it and still dont know what was wrong with me.

I guess i gotta start eating some of that stuff though for the past few weeks i have been taking tons of C and for a while i was takign zinc but it was making me feel worse so i stopped....my diet consistes of chicked, diet coke, bagle chips, more diet coke, and some chocolate, not so healthy

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Teaching definetely is a culprit sometimes. The good thing is...after several years your immune system builds up from the mix of all the germs and you won't get sick so often. I just got over either the flu...or what they are calling a "flu-like" virus this past week. I know that it totally kicked my butt..and I RARELY get sick..and I have NEVER had the flu. I think my body and immune system was weakened because of stress and overdoing my schedule etc. We had flu, stomach virus, and strep going around through the students. They were dropping like flies every day. It was unreal how many we were sending home either throwing up or with 102+ fevers.
My advice...lots of vitamins, lots of Germ-X, healthy eating, rest, and an outlet for your stress. (anyone that teaches has stress! Ha ha!)

Good luck! Rest up and hope you feel lots better!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Lilly,

I hardly ever get sick... KNOCK ON WOOD.

One of the main things I do is that I keep a bottle of that waterless hand sanitizer with me always. I have a small bottle in a special holder that hangs on my key ring, a bottle on my desk and at every sink in the house. Before all meals and after shaking hands with someone or being around someone with a cold, etc., I apply the sanitizer. If I have not had a chance to put it on, I try not to touch my eyes, nose, mouth, etc. until I can get some on. At restaurants I use the sanitizer after touching the menu, as I hear that the menu is the dirtiest thing in the restaurant. OK... I probably sound like a weirdo
but I don't want to get sick and I feel that this is a big help in that regard.

It's all about keeping your immune system "tuned up" so if there are germs out there you can fight them off. I take a multi-vitamin every day and as I mentioned in another post, I drink tons of green and black tea. I don't eat junk food.... I try not to eat hardly any processed food, except for things like organic tomato soup, canned organic beans, etc. I eat at least one apple every day, along with other fruit such as blueberries and cherries. I do believe you are what you eat.... I am very picky about what I eat... I shop mainly at Earth Fare, which does not carry food with bad stuff like hydrogenated oils, etc.

I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years but don't know if that plays a roll in good health or not. I do eat fish and dairy products.

Also, exercising will help your immune system. I imagine that you get that in school, though, so that is good.

I, also, get a flu shot every year. Since I'm over 50 I was able to get one in January this year... usually I get it in October.

OK.... so that is basically what I do.... I sure hope you get over all your ailments soon and can get on the road to better health!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I also rarely get sick. My stress has stress, but I just think that my longtime exposure to illness (I'm an RN) has built up my immune system. I believe strongly in vitamins (especially if your diet is poor), echinacea and golden seal (in liquid form without alcohol) to bolster your immune system (health food stores carry it), and most of all, handwashing. I also carry the gel hand sanitizer everywhere I go and use it frequently.

Hope you feel better soon....it sucks feeling crummy.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
1- DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!

2-Wash your hands A LOT

3- dont share stuff with people (drinks, pens, anything)

4- when you go to the bathroom, DONT TOUCH ANYTHING. this is what i do: go potty, touch the paper towel thingy...but dont touch the paper yet, wash your hands, get the paper towel, dry your hands, THEN turn off the water....and wth that towel you can get more paper or just use it to open the bathroom door.

my sister hasnt been sick in years. trust me, it works.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I do all the things that make people sick, I mean I wash my hands after I use the restroom, but I do touch the door handle to come out.

I drink after my boyfriend, I let my pup lick my face, I eat after my mom and my boyfriend. I don't wash my hands a lot. I do not eat vegetables. I sleep with the fan on, even in winter.

I don't get sick. And when I do, I DO NOT TAKE ANY MEDICATION, and my cold usually never catches, and if it does it is gone within 3 days

The only things I DO is drink lots of water (but thats mainly because Im prone to U.T.I.'s YUCK) and I do drink a lot of OJ because my boyfriend loves it.

I do not recommend getting attached to using drugs, even prescription drugs. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe drugs make you sicker and keep you sick.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 19 2005, 11:06 AM
Ok so it sounds like that fact i am in school is a big factor in me getting sick lol, i blame that on those rules that say if you miss x amount of school no matter what your grades you fail they make people go to school when they are sick and get everyone else sick.  A few years ago my doctor really thought i had mono i must have had blood drawn 5 times in 2 months testing for it and other things, i never had it and still dont know what was wrong with me.

I guess i gotta start eating some of that stuff though for the past few weeks i have been taking tons of C and for a while i was takign zinc but it was making me feel worse so i stopped....my diet consistes of chicked, diet coke, bagle chips, more diet coke, and some chocolate, not so healthy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36324
[/QUOTE]

I suggest a better diet but I'd surely quit the diet coke. Didn't you mention before about having "soft bones". ..... drinks such as diet Coke leach calcium from your bones... so drink homemade iced tea instead!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 19 2005, 12:33 PM
Also, exercising will help your immune system.  I imagine that you get that in school, though, so that is good. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36342
[/QUOTE]

Funny you shoudl mention excersise i totatlly forgot to mention the main reason i think i might have gotten so sick, with so many things, so fast...alright well i needed a gym class and i ended up in a weightlifting class (for anyone here thats knows about weightlifting i cant even use the normal bar i use a special 15lbs bar lol) well its in the school weight room and you know how in a normal gym there are like towles and signs that say the clean teh equipment when you are done? well in the school weight room there isnt even an option to clean off the equipment and by the time i get to it (i am the last class of the day) it is covered in sweat it is just the most disgusting thing on earth i am gonna start bringing a can of lysol to that class i dont care how crazy i look.

Originally posted by Brit'sMom@Feb 19 2005, 02:04 PM
I do not recommend getting attached to using drugs, even prescription drugs.  Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe drugs make you sicker and keep you sick.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36354
[/QUOTE]

Well i take stuff like tylenol and i used to take ibprophen all the time but i am usually not on a lot of prescriptions, over the past 2 months ,including what i am on now, i have taken 4 antiboiotics and tamiflu, i dont think i have been of them 4 other times in my whole life....i just starting that weight lifting class about 2 months ago

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am a nanny for toddlers and I work a day or 2 a week in an elementary school...so I try very hard not to catch what they carrry. It is really hard when sick 2 year olds want to be held and hang on you, all the while they are dripping germs all over you!

I tend to get only about one cold a year if that. I am a crazy hand washer. I wash after I do anything with the kids. I also use the hand sanatizer gel. I also always get a flu shot...I was lucky this year b/c I got one before they had the big shortage problem so it was late September when I got it. You should really get one when you go to college if you live in the dorm...that is when I got the most sick, we were always passing colds and illnesses to each other!

I also take a vitamin supliment called Emer'gen C. It is a great fizzy drink mix...I take the one with added calcium b/c I have a bad habbit of skipping the milk. I also might take a folic acid supliment if I know I won't be eating good for a day or so.

I eat mostly veggies and fruits and I try to eat as many colors as I can! I also drink green tea that helps keep me happy!

Be sure to talk to your doctor and parents before taking any kind of vitamin or supliment. They know best

I hope you are feeling better soon

Nicolle

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lily, you are very smart to start questioning why you get ill........you got excellent advice in these posts. Get rid of the bad diet, make a diet coke a "treat" once a week. It'll taste even better if indulged in rarely. Most sodas contain phosphates which deplete calcium.

Improve your diet after you get rid of the bad: An apple w/fresh ground, sugarless peanut butter is a healthy, fiber and protein rich breakfast that will get you through the morning. Skim or low fat milk with it. Start reading up on nutrition.

Add calcium to your diet AND take a supplement. Costco's Kirkwood brand Calcium Citrate w/D was top rated by Consumer Reports. I excercised and drank milk and really had a healthy diet most of my life but I didn't take calcium supplements and I now have OSTEOPOROSIS. Bleah! As a teenager, you should be getting 1200 to 1500 mg daily. You might be getting about 300 in your (new) diet, certainly not in your present diet. Here's how calcium works: your body uses calcium for brain function and other organ functions. If there is not enough in your blood stream at all times then your bones will give it up. You don't want your bones to lose calcium. Take supplements.

I'm really impressed that you asked this question. You're wise beyond your years.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i really try to remember to take calcium supplements becuase i seem to alwasy have a calcium difficency, i just cant stand dairy i am not allergic or anything i just used have have a fridg that didnt work so good so i have drank enough rotten milk to turn anyone off from dairy. I know its a bad thing, i break bones all the time its just hard to remeber to take the calcuim. I am really trying to eat more healthy you should see all the new stuf fin the kitchen lol i ate a zuccine today...and i not even really sure what that is
As far as the diet coke, i know its bad for me i really do, but its the only way i can stay awake for the whole day i mean yeah are healthier things to keep me awake but a coke a avalable everywhere and so much easier than like making a glass of tea.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 19 2005, 07:17 PM
Well i really try to remember to take calcium supplements becuase i seem to alwasy have a calcium difficency, i just cant stand dairy i am not allergic or anything i just used have have a fridg that didnt work so good so i have drank enough rotten milk to turn anyone off from dairy.  I know its a bad thing, i break bones all the time its just hard to remeber to take the calcuim.  I am really trying to eat more healthy you should see all the new stuf fin the kitchen lol i ate a zuccine today...and i not even really sure what that is 
As far as the diet coke, i know its bad for me i really do, but its the only way i can stay awake for the whole day i mean yeah are healthier things to keep me awake but a coke a avalable everywhere and so much easier than like making a glass of tea.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36420
[/QUOTE]

WOW! I had no idea that diet coke (is this all diet sodas or just coke?) messes with your calcium! I don't drink many, but when I want a soda I drink diet instead of regular

Its kind of messed up, you think you are being good by not drinking regular, and now you have to worry more about calcium!

Try those chocolate-like calcium suppliments. THey are actually pretty darn good!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's not just diet coke, check the ingredients in all sodas for phospates. Some do not have them but most do. Sodas are not good for you.......

Lily: put your calcium bottle(s) where you will see them for a breakfast dose, a lunch dose and a dinner dose. Girl, this osteoporosis is not for sissies! You see these old folks all bent over with humped backs looking at the world ground-first and you are seeing your future!

Try the quart tea bags for making tea easily. I pour 4 cups of water in a pan and in 10 minutes, just before it starts to boil, I turn the heat off and add two 1 quart tea bags and steep for 5 to 12 minutes depending upon how strong you like it.

In a 2 quart container I empty 4 sweet n low packets and 2 cups of water. When the tea has steeped I take out the bags and pour it into the container, fill to the top with water and place in the fridge. It'll last me a couple of days.

I use Bigelows Green Tea w/Mango. MMmmmmm!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Feb 20 2005, 05:37 PM
It's not just diet coke, check the ingredients in all sodas for phospates.  Some do not have them but most do.  Sodas are not good for you.......

Lily:  put your calcium bottle(s) where you will see them for a breakfast dose, a lunch dose and a dinner dose.  Girl, this osteoporosis is not for sissies!  You see these old folks all bent over with humped backs looking at the world ground-first and you are seeing your future!

Try the  quart tea bags for making tea easily.  I pour 4 cups of water in a pan and in 10 minutes, just before it starts to boil, I turn the heat off and add two 1 quart tea bags and steep for 5 to 12 minutes depending upon how strong you like it.

In a 2 quart container I empty 4 sweet n low packets and 2 cups of water.  When the tea has steeped I take out the bags and pour it into the container, fill to the top with water and place in the fridge.  It'll last me a couple of days.

I use Bigelows Green Tea w/Mango.  MMmmmmm!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36569
[/QUOTE]

Man, we're on a roll on this health topic... love it!

... so I have to say... the tea idea is fabulous... just don't use Sweet N Low. If you need to use a sweetner use Splenda or Stevia. Here is a great article that discusses all sweetners and rates them for safety. I used to use Sweet 'N Low a few times a day.... Now I wouldn't touch the stuff: Nutrition Action - Article About Sweeteners

1 - 20 of 37 Posts