Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I need some advice. Kylee is starting an agility class at the end of October and I started working on the Stay command with her. What Ive been doing is giving her the sit command and then the stay command. I will walk one step away, come back treat then release her with "all done" (thats our release phrase from puppy class). I continue with the command then walk two steps away, treat, one step, treat, around the table treat and release. I basically vary the distance I go and the amount of times I go back and treat her before I release her. Well...she is very hot and cold with it. Some sessions she will do great- her little butt wont leave the floor till I release her. Other times, its like every time I say the word "stay" she will get up and run to me. So after I've gone on and on :-/ my real question is- how long until she picks this up? I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle. Am I doing this right? I mean, I dont expect her to sit in one spot for 3 hours and not move but I am striving for her to realize that stay means stay put every time. Thanks in advance for advice!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I took Macy to the Pets mart training class and we learned the same thing. It took Macy awhile to learn the sit stays but she finally learned. It took about a good week for her to learn. Sounds like to me you are doing a great job. The teacher told us to spend at least 30 minutes a day to train with them. When we were learning this in class Macy would get distracted with the other dogs. So I would just practice this at home.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut refused the sit stay command forever. I finally gave up and tried lay down stays. He caught on really quick that way and then we backtracked and started the sit stays again. Also if I saw that he was about to get up I would make a little "uh" sound and he would put him bum back on the ground. I never really had long sessions with the boys, just a few minutes here and there throughout the day. They just lost interest after a while, so it was a pain to try to get them to pay attention for too long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts