Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Your little one may have yeast or a secondary infection in his ear(S). The best thing to do is get him to the vet. They will clean the ears and test for infection. You may have to put an antibiotic ointment in for a while. This can happen often in dogs with floppy ears. Water gets into the ear during bathing and yeast sets in. Get him in as soon as possible; if it is only yeast you won't need an antibiotic, but will probably have to put in a solution to make the environment not so yeast friendly. I put a solution in Tikis ears after each bath as a precaution.

Hope this helps!

Judi

·
Registered
346 Posts
Has his ears been tweezed? Could just be a simple thing of needing the hair tweezed from them too, (a little dirt or wax or something trapped through the hairs) ...from the sounds of it, you have a few possibilities as to what it could be. Hope it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
yep, I would take him on to the vet, could be a couple of things as mentioned, if you bathe him at home be sure to tilt his head each way as you pull his ear straight up to help any trapped water escape, I do this 2-3 times each ear to make sure its all out

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He did go to the vet yesterday. No problems. My wife is the one that bathes him so I will let her know about making sure the water is out of his ears and to clean them. My vet suggested witch hazel.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You can also try to put a cotton ball in the ear and then keep the flap closed. This is what my vet recommended. I tried this by Tiki wouldn't have anything to do with something in his ear..... he just keeps shaking his head until it comes out
kind of cute, but very messy!

What did the vet attribute the odor to?

Judi

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by TikisMom@Mar 10 2004, 02:50 PM
You can also try to put a cotton ball in the ear and then keep the flap closed. This is what my vet recommended. I tried this by Tiki wouldn't have anything to do with something in his ear..... he just keeps shaking his head until it comes out
kind of cute, but very messy!

What did the vet attribute the odor to?

Judi
She said they didn't stink. At the time I didn't think they smelled either. But the day before, they did smell funny.

·
Registered
346 Posts
never hurts to be cautious and at least you have some idea now as to what to do or think of IF they do ever have a stinky smell lol

·
Registered
939 Posts
Maxismom,

Adding your picture is easy. You can upload a picture of your own or use one of the Pre-installed avatars.

At the top of this page (where it shows you are logged in) look to the right of your user name and click on My Controls. When that page loads look on the left menu, you will see; Personal Profile and under it Edit Avatar Settings. Click on Edit Avatar Settings. That page will show you what to do.

Judi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts