Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have been waiting to bring my puppy home *everyone* has heard about her, and they want to know the details... When is she coming home? Where is she from? And the "all important" question... (or at least it seems that way b/c NO ONE fails to ask it!) How much did you pay???
Well little Charlie wasn't a bargain at $1500, but a quality pup is worth it to me.

Once they find out how much I paid, everyone keeps telling me, "You better be careful or someone is going to steal her"! Does this really happen? Do any of you take certain precautions to prevent an unwanted puppy-napping? I don't intend for her to be out of my sight, but you can never be too safe...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
a couple of puppies were stolen in my area recently. Malt mixes and a little chi. I have Peanut microchipped and Tic will be microchipped with his neuter later this month. It's no guarentee, but if god forbid they ever become separated from me and their tags are thrown out, there is a permanent id that hopefully someone will check for. I know others who tattooed some number on the inner thigh area, but I don't think my pups would enjoy that procedure too much. It's scary to think about, but for me better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
It definitely can happen, but its not that common. I heard that you should put on your puppy's tag that it needs medicine so the stealer will be more likely to bring it back...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have been told that too??!!!
A few months ago there was an article in our paper that two guys saw a woman and stopped her and asked about her dog--and she mentioned that she had three pups at home and they followed her home and when she answered her door -they barged in and took her Yorkies--they were pretty dumb though and she got her pups back--but dang how scarry is that!!
I was so shocked when we first got Ruby -- people didn't mind asking how much she cost!!
I finally decided to tell whoever asked that I didn't know --she was a gift from my DH

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I had Rex out one day and a lady comes up to me and said, never let him go or someone will take him home with them. It gave me the creeps! I don't even let strangers pet him! I am scared of what they may have or give to him. I am paranoid I guess. Over protective mommy...thats me!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I think it is wise not to tell strangers the price. They are being nosy to even ask. If they ask, you can just say, "Why do you want to know?" Hopefully, that'll end it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
There are many instances of litters being stolen from breeders houses. A friend of mine told of a woman who overheard the family talking about what they would be doing for the afternoon. She had come to purchase a pup, but, when the family left, she came back and took all the dogs and pups. Thanks to micro chips, some were recovered, but some had already been sold. One of my friends had someone come and take his litter, after first coming to see the pups as if to purchase.
As for people asking the price of my dog, that doesn't bother me nearly as much as them asking me to give it to them.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this one lady told me that her maltese was taken right from her arms!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jul 3 2005, 09:43 PM
this one lady told me that her maltese was taken right from her arms!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77718
[/QUOTE]

That is scary! Good thing I took those karate classes with my son years ago! It is just freaky to think that there are so many mean, horrible people in the world and they are everywhere!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
A few years ago I wasn't that concerned about puppy thieves, but it has been worrying me lately. So many celebrities are toting pets as status symbols (not all of them are just for show, but I think some are) and that could give some people crazy ideas. Bellas microchipped, but she isn't ever out of my site. I think if someone tried to physically take her from me I would become very violent very fast. As far as precautions go, when people come up to pet Bella she acts like shes going to take their hand off anyway, so shes probably not a likely target
I used to think I should teach her not to do that, but now I think it protects us both. So far she only does that when i'm holding her, so I put her on a leash when she needs to be nice. By the way, I think Bella has a crush on her vet. Granted, he's handsome, but she hasn't seemed to notice that hes human and they have a good 6 foot height difference.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom+Jul 3 2005, 07:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RubyJeansmom
@Jul 3 2005, 07:33 PM
  Rex loves you for protecting him! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77636
People always ask "does he bite"....I think next time I am going to tell them "no, but I do!"
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77639
[/B][/QUOTE]
lol! I once went up to this cute puppy and the owner said, "dont get near her she bites! She was the last puppy left in the litter, we didnt have a choice!" I thought that was mean, but I couldnt help laughing inside

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Jul 3 2005, 10:13 PM
A few years ago I wasn't that concerned about puppy thieves, but it has been worrying me lately.  So many celebrities are toting pets as status symbols (not all of them are just for show, but I think some are) and that could give some people crazy ideas.  Bellas microchipped, but she isn't ever out of my site.  I think if someone tried to physically take her from me I would become very violent very fast.  As far as precautions go, when people come up to pet Bella she acts like shes going to take their hand off anyway, so shes probably not a likely target
  I used to think I should teach her not to do that, but now I think it protects us both.  So far she only does that when i'm holding her, so I put her on a leash when she needs to be nice.  By the way, I think Bella has a crush on her vet.  Granted, he's handsome, but she hasn't seemed to notice that hes human and they have a good 6 foot height difference.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77753
[/QUOTE]
Little Bella, a true dreamer!

·
Registered
486 Posts
There was a yorkie taken fron our neighborhood right out of there yard. My mom called the lady and helped her look for it for weeks never turned up:(

now as far as protecting them from being taken. Microchip is great. You also need to remember to not advertise you have a malt. For example I dont take prissy on a walk around the neighborhood. She will go to the mail box and back thats it. Dont pu up any signs. my mom got this cute protected by chihuahua sign. She thought about it when she got home to not put it up. If you let your pup in our back yard alone even just for a min. be sure to have a lock on gate. People can watch your house and see when you let you baby out just like they do to steal other things.

A few weeks ago Shiner was staying with me and he loves long walks. We live a few blocks from a school. I wanted to take him to the playground because he LOVES to go up and down the slides.
While I was walking to the school I noticed this same car passing by slow a few times. I didnt think anything of it at first. We played at the playground for like 30 min then I had to Pry him off the slide. :D While getting ready to walk back I saw that same car parked off the side of the street. I dont know if they were interested in me or the dog because Shiner gets alot of attention from people when we go out especially men. I had my mace so I was ok for a while I played it safe and called my mom to drive and come get me. they left when she pulled up. Creepy.

You need to protect your baby even more so when you take them out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was at a local Lawn Party a few nights ago. We do not live in a big city but a more rural setting. Total strangers came up to me wanting to pet my puppy. Several asked me how much he cost. I had a leash and harness on him so I tucked my finger under his harness and also had a good hold on the leash. I am thankful no one asked to hold him. That is where I draw the line.

My mother was telling me on the local radio station there was a woman pleading for her puppy. It seems she had a 12 week old puppy. She was in Kentucky turned her back for a second and he was gone. The was traveling to different states getting on the radio pleading for people to watch for her little furball.

Sure makes you stop and think.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Years ago when I had my yorkie CeCe. I was taking her for a walk. I truck full of 3 guys pulled up near us. They got out and started following us. They didn't have nice expressions on their faces. I picked CeCe up and started walking faster. Thank god for some reason they turned around and got back in their truck. I still don't know if they were after me or CeCe. Pretty scarey. Ever since then I am so careful walking my baby. Its a good idea to always watch around, u never no what sickos are out there.

Peechie's Mom

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
They're not just after small breeds either. When I lived in another town about 7 and a half years ago, I was walking my Irish Setter and hubby (then boyfriend)was walking our German Shepherd. The setter was only a baby at the time and these people at a laundromat asked me about her. Wanted to know what breed she was because she was pretty. Well, I told them..... They petted her and the German Shepherd, they seemed to be nice people. Well, we got home, and left the dogs in the yard while I got everything to cook out on the grill. I heard a commotion from the yard (fully fenced in). I looked out the door and this van was pulled up at the front of the house, and this lady was squatted down in front of the gate and calling her (setter) over, my German Shepherd almost took her hand off, and as she backed away and kicked the fence (I could only tell it was a lady, but I couldn't see well through the dogs) I could see it was the same woman that asked me about her a few mins ago!! They musta followed me home. I walked out the door and grabbed the baseball bat that was on the porch and yelled, the lady got back into the van and they drove off. I called the police and gave them a description. On the 6:00 news the night after that happened, there was a story about people taking "valuable" dogs. And they gave the same description I gave the police!!! After that I always locked the gate, and I NEVER left them out when I wasn't home.....but I really don't think they would have gotten past my 120 lb German Shepherd anyway. They were both chipped, but that doesn't mean they can't be stolen and sold. Very SCARY!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts