Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 2-3 year old Maltese from a shelter. She is crate trained and goes well outside. The problem is that if we don't remember to take her out, she will go in the house. Is there a way that we can train her to tell us when she has to go? We always praise her when she goes outside, but I don't want to scold her when she goes inside. I think she was abused before and dont want to make her any more skiddish than she can already be. Any ideas??

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have that same problem with my Maltese. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully someone can come up with a good suggestion!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too have the same problem. We got our little baby girl at 7 months old (she's 1 1/2 now) and she still has accidents. Any great tips?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Was really hoping someone had an answer to this one. Morgan is really good about going outside when we take him out. But sometimes he will just stand there with no indication of anything and go on the floor. I have only had him going into two months now and he was penned up until the age of 6 months. So personally, I think he has done quite well, considering, but at the same time, would like to save a few area rugs, I know, I know, "patience is a virtue!" lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
housebreaking

I'm not sure about how to do this with an older dog but my babyboy is 21 months old he does several things to get my attention. Sometimes he hops up in my lap and will paw my face and tilt his head from side to side and I'll ask him if he needs to potty and he will hop down and run to the door. Other times he will come and look at me and will bark and start backing up I always repeat a phrase when taking him out and I guess I learned to read his way of comunication. I have heard of people tying a little bell from a string and hanging it on a doorknob and everytime they take their pupster out to potty they say something like "outside" or "go potty" and ring the bell and touch their dogs paw or nose to the bell to ring it and then take them out , so they end up with a dog that will ring the bell everytime they need to go. Sounds cute. A lady I knew that breeds and shows collies did this with her dogs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for the great idea. Went out yesterday and bought two bells, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, and brackets, had hubby hang them. Gonna try it with Morgan and see how far we get :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Have to tell you what one of my 4 year old granddaughters said the other day. We took Bentley out to potty in the back yard. Keep in mind she has a huge yellow lab (over 100 lbs) at home. Well, Bentley went about finding the perfect spot and proceeded to go and my granddaaughter made a funny look of surprise and looked up at me and said " how come his poop is little, is that all he poops?" Which brings me to one of the great things about little dogs, little food, little poop! Things can't get much easier than that.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Luvmypupster@Aug 30 2003, 12:51 PM
" how come his poop is little, is that all he poops?"
haha great story :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Update on Morgan and the Bell...

He is sent over to the bell, put his paw to it to ring it and would say "potty" , so he would understand to use the bell to let us know. Then he is praised, and he gets a little treat, then we take him out to potty.

Last night, while my husband was standing there with a cookie in his hand he rang the bell cuz he wanted the cookie! lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: wouldn't you know it, now you have him trained to ring for a cookie. Never thought that it could work that way. I never tried the bell thing but have known people that have had sucess with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
lol- Pavlov was definately onto something. I have a problem with Angel too. If I don't send her down to the bathroom, she may pee wherever she is at. I'll be in the computer rooms for hours & she'll be sitting or sleeping next to me. Then I realize that she hasn't gone for a long time so I say "go" & point to the stairs & that's when she runs down to use the bathroom. I usually give her peanut butter right after she pees so she'll run up to me when she's done to let me know that it's time for peanut butter. She also knows that I wipe her after I give her peanut butter so right after the treat she gets on her back so I can wipe her. It's really cute! However, there are times when she has had accidents right next to the bathroom or on the stairs. I've seen her bending down to poop so I'll say "go" and she'll stop & run downstairs. It's confusing that she knows where to go but doesn't always go by herself. I put the water bowl down there so that when she gets thirsty she'll run down to drink water & if she has to pee she'll conveniently be right there. The bell thing is very interesting. I may have to try it but I don't know if she'll ring the bell without me telling her to- lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
My experience has been that Maltese are usually very picky about where they do their business. Imagine trying to go potty only to have your booty tickled by some grass or getting your feet wet in the morning dew. I even had my new little girl get stung by a bee on her paw when she was trying to be good and go outside. I believe that they eventually figure out that it is much more comfortable to go inside the house. With that in mind I have tried to give them ideal spots to go. I don't care if they go on the patio (I'll clean it up) and I have cut part of or lawn very short so it is more comfortable for them. For our sons Yorkie (male) I put out a couple of milk containers filled with a little water for weight, so he can have something that is just for him to hike his leg on. I think that once they have discovered going potty inside is more comfortable than outside you have to start the training sequence all over again. The most important part is catching/seeing them do it and telling them no and getting them outside asap. Anyway, it is quite true that it is harder to housebreak smaller dogs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The funniest thing happend the other day.... I was watching tv & when I looked down at Angel she was bending down like she was about to poop... so I said "GO"... and she started running towards the bathroom with her hind legs bent over- EXACTLY as she had them when she was bent over- and a little "turtle head" was poking out... so I got to see her run, bent over with a "turtle head" peeking out.. haha... that was hilarious! :lol:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Bellezza1212@Sep 14 2003, 08:15 AM
, bent over with a "turtle head" peeking out.. haha... that was hilarious! :lol:
i bet she didnt think it was too funny :D great story

1 - 20 of 42 Posts