Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I’m new here so I hope you don’t mind me joining! I’m looking forward to becoming part of the community here. I’m the mother of a beautiful spoiled young 4 year old adopted Maltese/Bichon mix as you can see in my profile pic! However lately she’s been having some particularly unusual behaviour and I can’t seem to figure it out no matter where I research. So I’m hoping you guys might have an idea being more knowledgeable than me. It seems whenever I bring Gracie to my grandmother’s house, she gets quite unsettled and begins scratching at my thighs as if she’s digging for something. Sometimes she will hop up onto my lap and start pulling at my sleeve a little aggressively as if she’s trying to show me something. She doesn’t ever harm me but she will scratch and bark at my arm or thighs non-stop until I pick her up and rest her on my shoulder like a baby as she often likes to be cradled (Funny, I know). But this behaviour only happens in this one house and nowhere else. Does anyone know anything about this? I’d be so grateful!!

Thanks so much,

Britney

·
Registered
Elisabeth and Poodles (plus Zooey in heaven)
4,335 Posts
Welcome, Britney and Gracie! Just a guess, but it sounds like she's feeling insecure in your grandmother's house and wants comfort from you. What about your grandmother's house is different from other places she visits?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey! Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah it seems shes ok once I lift her up and comfort her but she seems to be doing it quite a bit more often lately. There isn’t anything I can think of that’s majorly different, however on an ordinary day it is a busier atmosphere with more people than what she would normally be used to. But it isn’t busy when she does these unusual behaviours. And she’s used to the people that would be here by now I think. Do you think it might be a form of anxiety?

·
Registered
Elisabeth and Poodles (plus Zooey in heaven)
4,335 Posts
It could be anxiety. My Maltese insisted on being in a high spot for security--usually the back of the sofa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes maybe it is. She does often insist on being up on my shoulder when she gets nervous so that could be the case. Is there anything I can do to help her with this with the exception of calming her when she gets like this? Do you think I should bring her to the vet to get their opinion? (also happy new year to all from Gracie and me!!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts