Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To being with Happy Thanksgiving, I hope everyone had a good time and gained an extra pound or two
I sure did. Anyway, today I took Aidan to his pee pee pad and he wasn't really going but he was inching away back towards the carpet so I went to pick him up and he yelped REALLY loud and bit and scratched my hand, he's NEVER done that before for any reason. Then I put him back on and said no, he went a tiny bit but he was going to the carpet again so I moved him over and again that loud squeal. The he went over to my computer chair (where he loves to nestle in the little triangles) and cuddled up. So I called him again to go on his pad but instead he came over to be and put his head on my thigh and layed down. I kept calling him to go potty but instead he just jumps over me and puts his head down again. I figured he didn't have to go so I went to get some toilet paper to get the boogies out of his eyes and he piddled a little on his bed then I took him over to the pad and he reluctantly went. I don't know why he's being so weird. Anyone had this strange issue before? I was hoping there wasn't anything actually wrong, like some bladder probably that was making it painful to go, I think he just got mad at me for some reason.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
He may have pain when he's going. I've never had it happen and it certainly seems bazzar behavior. There must be a reason for it. Could it be he needed to go but was afraid to go for some reason, like he was punished for going somewhere and is now connecting going with a bad thing? These little guys are so sensitive they will remember any little unhappy thing.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
He may have pain when he's going. I've never had it happen and it certainly seems bazzar behavior. There must be a reason for it. Could it be he needed to go but was afraid to go for some reason, like he was punished for going somewhere and is now connecting going with a bad thing? These little guys are so sensitive they will remember any little unhappy thing.
[/B]

I was wondering the very same thing, perhaps he is afraid to even go potty in the house as he has been chastized before even though it may have been on the carpet he may be relating it to going on his pad.
Another thought is he could have a slight infection in his bladder and it hurts when he pees. I would watch him closely and if he does it again perhaps a vist to the vet to rule out any possible health issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think he's afraid to go because he just went there yesterday. Maybe he was just randomly freaking out I don't know. I'm confused, ugh I wish I could just ASK him what's wrong. He's being good now, it was like a one minute thing. I hope it doesn't hurt, but I don't think it does because he peed a little later and it was fine, it was just for some reason he was being a meany that time. LOL, maybe I just look really scary in the morning.

·
Registered
802 Posts
He might have heard something with his super sonic doggy ears that you could not hear. This might have startled him and when you went to pick him up he reacted??

I read somewhere that if your dog freaks out over something you can't see or hear, it may be that THEY can hear something that you don't and they freak out over it.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
My first thought was UTI or crystals/stones. Both can be very painful when urinating. Both will make urinating difficult. A 'red-flag' is when they attempt to urinate but don't follow thru in one 'squat or leg-lift' but attempt then only do a little then shortly after attempt again.
I'd have a vet check it out. If UTI antibiotics should be started asap. If crystals ( sometimes they can have both) often a diet change is in order to alter the ph of the urine.
I'd want to have these ruled out by a vet.

Terry, Angel Missy, and Nadia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts