Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday we ran into my friends old neighbor who has a maltese and my friends dog and this maltese use to play all the time but my friend moved to another place than i got maxi and her dog and my maxi became best buddies
well yesterday when diggy ( my friends dog)saw sparky they started playing and every time Maxi went to play they would ignore him when maxi got home
he seemed so depressed and went right to sleep he didnt eat and so forth , do you think that they really can get there feelings hurt ?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Oh my gosh! poor lil baby! Lot's of
for Maxi.

I read a story a while ago about this Maltese that was adopted. While he/she was in a shelter, he/she was doing alright. And then when he/she was adopted, he/she was very happy. But then a couple days later, the family returned the poor baby back for some reason. The baby was so sad, he/she wouldn't eat for days! The caretakers had to hold him/her in their arms and try to encourage the baby to eat. I was soooooo incredibly sad to hear that.

They are really sensitive boogers.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I honestly think they are exactly like us, but don't have the ability to express it in the same manner as we do.

When I was younger, my family had a Shetland Sheepdog called Sharka. He got really sick and we took him to the vet and it turned out that he had somehow gotten a tick. They had to shave his beautiful long hair off!
Anyway, because his hind legs were failing, they started at the back - the tick was on his neck! So we had a Shetland Sheepdog with about 1cm of hair all over his body,but still a puffy head and a puffy tail. It made him look like a fox or something!

Anyway, he TOTALLY knew and he was embarrassed. Mum came out of hte car when she picked him up and sat us all down and told us not to laugh at him, that he did look funny, but he knows it and we would really hurt his feelings if we did. You know the story, we wouldn't like people to laugh at us, especially not our own family.

Well, he did look very funny, but we didn't laugh at him - he still walked really slowly under the table with his head down and his tail down... we all ended up practically crying because he was so sad. He literally hid under the table for about 2 or 3 weeks. He wouldn't come out from under the house, he turned from a super social dog to not even wanting to see us really....

After a while he came around to us, and when his hair got longer he started to venture out and eventually was back to normal! But, I can PROMISE you from that experience that they do know what's going on, they do have feelings and they can be hurt

Poor Maxi, maybe you can arrange so the other doggy isn't there next play time? Or is that not possible? It reminds me of kids - you know, where one friend is always there and then someone comes along who is new and exciting so they forget the old friend....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Sunshine@Nov 8 2004, 03:54 PM
I honestly think they are exactly like us, but don't have the ability to express it in the same manner as we do.

When I was younger, my family had a Shetland Sheepdog called Sharka. He got really sick and we took him to the vet and it turned out that he had somehow gotten a tick. They had to shave his beautiful long hair off! 
  Anyway, because his hind legs were failing, they started at the back - the tick was on his neck! So we had a Shetland Sheepdog with about 1cm of hair all over his body,but still a puffy head and a puffy tail. It made him look like a fox or something!

Anyway, he TOTALLY knew and he was embarrassed. Mum came out of hte car when she picked him up and sat us all down and told us not to laugh at him, that he did look funny, but he knows it and we would really hurt his feelings if we did. You know the story, we wouldn't like people to laugh at us, especially not our own family.

Well, he did look very funny, but we didn't laugh at him - he still walked really slowly under the table with his head down and his tail down... we all ended up practically crying because he was so sad. He literally hid under the table for about 2 or 3 weeks. He wouldn't come out from under the house, he turned from a super social dog to not even wanting to see us really....

After a while he came around to us, and when his hair got longer he started to venture out and eventually was back to normal! But, I can PROMISE you from that experience that they do know what's going on, they do have feelings and they can be hurt 

Poor Maxi, maybe you can arrange so the other doggy isn't there next play time? Or is that not possible? It reminds me of kids - you know, where one friend is always there and then someone comes along who is new and exciting so they forget the old friend.... 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15433
[/QUOTE]

I mean that really was rare i had just picked up my friend and her dog diggy and we were comng around the block and we saw them outside and thats how the whole thing started when diggy saw sparky he went crazy and maxi ran too and when maxi would go to sparky ( the other maltese he would growl at maxi ) and spaky and diggy were playing and didnt pay attention to maxi
anyway i will not do that again because it was too sad last night ...he was so vulnerable when i got him home i was lke whats the matter "little boy" thats my new name for him and i said go eat your yums he wanted nothing to do with his food he just went to sleep the whole night so i felt so bad today...im sure he will be fine when i get home today but i just was wondering if this was my imagination or this really does happen

·
Registered
323 Posts
How sad for Maxi, I completely agree these dogs are so sensitive that is what makes them so special. They even pick up on our moods. Yesterday I went to look at Pudge's new babies they are four weeks old and they climbed all over me, and when I came home both Pudge and Josie were sniffing me like there was not tomorrow, and Josie was bent out of shape and wouldn't give me kisses (I had foreign dog on me
) I had to change clothes before she would warm up to me,,,,
Pudge I think recognized the mama's scent because he was cool with it except he would not leave me alone-sniff sniff sniff... I know Pudge is sensitive with the whole play thing when he gets left out with Josie and Sophie, he looks soooo sad...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Poor Maxi! Brinkley would LOVE to play with him!!!

Brinkley does the depressed thing when I am busy, or a cat is in my lap...if that doesn't work for him, then he goes to find something he is not supposed to have, or chews up a wee pad for attention...

But, it does make me sad for him...I try to make room for both in my lap...but the cat is not so kind... -_-

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How utterly unbelievable these babies are that they know what they know
makes them so special ,well a friend of mine called me on sat and said she sent a package to maxi , i thought that was sweet so maybe he will get that today and he will have some more toys lol i spoil him enough
but as soon as i get home im gonna take him, for a long walk

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maxi'smom--This is good excuse to get him a new friend If you know what I mean. *winks*

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
So sad. I totally think they have feelings... Milo went away for the weekend so Tini was the sole dog of the house, and at first she gets all excited because she can run around by herself and play with whatever toys she wants, but about 2 hours after he was gone she was looking in all the rooms, walking in his crate, hiding under the couch (because Milo always comes running when she is under there). It was so pathetic.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Told my husband about this thread...he said Brinkley is pitiful like that when I am gone.

He will play for a while...and then start going to the door and moping around with his tail between his legs.

Poor baby!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Tlunn--definite mama's boy!

My bf said when I was away on vacation (girls-only vacation LOL) he said they didn't seem depressed. Lil freaks! Oh well. I take it as a good thing. I don't want to feel guilty for leaving them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts