Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a beautiful day for early November. We were in the low 70's. So, I took the day off. We have a nice paved walking/bike trail within the city limits that winds around and through town. I thought, today is the day to go! Cody and Mandy were walking. Josey was riding in the stroller. Josey was dressed in a pink sweater and matching pink hat. (The hat is a puppy hat with slits in the side for her ears to stick out.) Two ladies that looked to be on their lunch hour power walking, as they passed us, they quickly glanced in the stroller. As they passed by us, the one lady says to her friend, "what a pretty baby in the stroller." The other gal has a look of bewilderment and responds, "yes, but gads.....SO MUCH HAIR!" :LOL: :HistericalSmiley:This isn't the first time that someone has thought I was pushing an actual skin baby in the stroller. I have also heard, "my, what a hairy baby!" :blink: I can't tell you how many times people, and esp. children ask me if the stroller is really for fluffs. Or, I get the usual, "why aren't they walking?"

Please, share your stroller or bag stories with me. I'm still giggling. :smrofl:

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
That's a riot! I'm embarrassed when someone looks into my stroller when Ava and Abbey are in there.....Ava rides on top of Abbey the whole time....humping her :blush: sometimes she gets so high up on Abbey's back she falls over her head and lands in front of her! :blink:

While we were walking down the street today I had Ava in the stroller and the other three on leashes in my other hand. When we got to the end of the street Abbey went one way around a street sign pole and Tink went the other way. they kept going round and round that stupid pole trying to figure out what was happening!!! :w00t::blink::smilie_tischkante:

I swear it took me a good 5 minutes to get them (and me) untangled - How embarrassing :brownbag::HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I think my funniest stroller story is the one I posted a while back about Hunter and his "love" for a stroller. I'm prety sure I told it best the first time but essentially Hunter and I were visiting a new pet store and Hunter has always had a 'thing' for strollers - he really loves riding in them. He walked around and around the stroller and so I put him in it and gave him a ride. Then took him out and was talking to the owner and he MARKED the stroller tires! I was so embarrassed but the lady told me not to worry and that Hunter was just another 'satisfied customer' - how embarrassing!

Shortly after that, we ended up getting Hunter his own stroller and now he proudly rides in it when we go places it would not be safe for him to be on the ground.

Here's the link:
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/59-everything-else-maltese-related/101511-so-embarrassed.html

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts
Oh my gosh Suzi you made my night:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:I wish I would have been there, I bet those two women would die laughing if they saw you again and took the time to really look in at your baby:HistericalSmiley:
Personally I think Josey is cuter then most skin kids

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Oh my gosh Suzi you made my night:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:I wish I would have been there, I bet those two women would die laughing if they saw you again and took the time to really look in at your baby:HistericalSmiley:
I agree! :)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
:HistericalSmiley::LOL: Suzi - I needed that!! I might have to invest in a stroller just for the comic relief.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
That's a riot! I'm embarrassed when someone looks into my stroller when Ava and Abbey are in there.....Ava rides on top of Abbey the whole time....humping her :blush: sometimes she gets so high up on Abbey's back she falls over her head and lands in front of her! :blink:
Pat, you crack me up!!! I'm just picturing cute little Ava doing this.:HistericalSmiley:

Bogie (and I) love his stroller. I really haven't had any negative comments. Mostly people are suprised to see a dog in a stroller. You really don't see that too much around here.

He also has a basket (and a couple of bags) that I use. The basket usually gets an, "awwww!" response. The smaller bag is nice to carry him in and he just sits and looks out. When he moves it surprises people because they don't think he is real. THEN they are surprised.:blink: I would think it would be more surprising to see a grown woman walking around carrying a stuffed animal!

·
Registered
198 Posts
LOL. This whole post makes me laugh. Lots of funny mental images. :LOL:

I do not personally use a stroller but I don't think it's out of the question as a future possibility, hahaha. It may happen. I've gotten criticism before for carrying a pup in a cute carrier/bag, from former friends who are not pup moms and who are very politically correct. They're like, it is a DOG, it is meant to walk on the ground.

Except... my pups are small. They are young and not yet fully vaccinated. It seems so much smarter and safer and more practical to stick one in a cute lil pup tote to go out for a bit. It's not a pampered, spoiled thing (although she is um, pampered and spoiled)... hahahaha.

Question and I hate to change the funny, playful tone of this thread but if your pup is in a stroller or secure in a bag, where are you publicly allowed to take them in? If they aren't going to be out of their carrier at all, is it still a strict NO PET issue or do you sneak them in or what? I would assume any food serving or selling business that doesn't specify being pet-friendly would be out of the question but what about general businesses?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Stroller

Hi all!

I was called a frustrated MOM becuase I have a stroller for my babe:wub::wub:s. I take them all out for a stroll around our neighborhood. I live in a very quiet area called the Hammocks and Arbour Courts so we have many trees. Last week Cappi and Max jumpred out of the stroller when they saw a squirrel and I just sat there and laughed. Once they fell they were so surprised that they had forgotten why they had jumped in the:w00t: first place. From now on, everyone will be tied up inside the stroller!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I don't have a dog story about bags or strollers, but I do have one about my cat. My cat and I have been across the country and back a few times. Moving and such. Well, one of the times I had her with me, she chewed her way out of a soft-sided carrier. I had to run into the nearest town's Wal-mart and buy her a plastic kennel since I didn't want her roaming around the car on our trip.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
:HistericalSmiley::LOL: Suzi - I needed that!! I might have to invest in a stroller just for the comic relief.:thumbsup:
Yes, I can really recommend this, Sue! :LOL:

But I also have made some bad experiences with the stroller! Last time on the dog show I walked around Ullana sitting in her stroller. The halls were overcrowded and I felt happy to have her in the comfy stroller.
We met a couple and she said if the dog wouldn't have legs or forgot these ones at home and shaked her head!
Well, I answered that she has legs of course but couldn't walk here in the crowd because she's so tiny between all the other legs! But may be you forgot your brain at home :smilie_tischkante:!
My mom had to laugh because the lady looked at me totally speechless! But she talked so rude, I couldn't be quite in this moment! :angry:

The other story happened recently in our summer vacation! We walked around at the local weekly market, Ullana sitting in her stroller again.
I heard a man saying to his wife that we'd have a 'pretty' girl and that she would look like her dad with all her hair! :confused1:

Alexandra :wub:

·
Registered
598 Posts

I do not personally use a stroller but I don't think it's out of the question as a future possibility, hahaha. It may happen. I've gotten criticism before for carrying a pup in a cute carrier/bag, from former friends who are not pup moms and who are very politically correct. They're like, it is a DOG, it is meant to walk on the ground.

Except... my pups are small. They are young and not yet fully vaccinated. It seems so much smarter and safer and more practical to stick one in a cute lil pup tote to go out for a bit. It's not a pampered, spoiled thing (although she is um, pampered and spoiled)... hahahaha.

Question and I hate to change the funny, playful tone of this thread but if your pup is in a stroller or secure in a bag, where are you publicly allowed to take them in? If they aren't going to be out of their carrier at all, is it still a strict NO PET issue or do you sneak them in or what? I would assume any food serving or selling business that doesn't specify being pet-friendly would be out of the question but what about general businesses?
I think a lot of where you can take your pups depends on where you live. Here in Raleigh, North Carolina we have very strict health laws that you cannot take them anywhere that food is and several malls around me also will not let you take a dog in (even in a bag or stroller) -service dogs are the exception. However, other cities and states have much more lenient laws. I was in Carmel, Ca recently and dogs were in restaurants, coffee shops, food markets, etc. So it all depends.....

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

While we were walking down the street today I had Ava in the stroller and the other three on leashes in my other hand. When we got to the end of the street Abbey went one way around a street sign pole and Tink went the other way. they kept going round and round that stupid pole trying to figure out what was happening!!! :w00t::blink::smilie_tischkante:

I swear it took me a good 5 minutes to get them (and me) untangled - How embarrassing :brownbag::HistericalSmiley:
That's funny Pat! I can just see Ava and Abbey in the stroller now. :HistericalSmiley: Yes, we have a routine, here. I'm right handed, so, Cody and Mandy are supposed to walk to the right of the stroller. Cody is a perfect gentleman on the leash. Mandy, however, runs...slams on her puppy brake pads...runs....you get the idea. So, no coupler leashes here. But, Mandy will try to go over to the other side of the stroller when she sees a dog. Virtually, almost strangling Josey in the stroller! :w00t: Or, wrapping around my ankle. I feel like I'm in dog horror film, sometimes. :HistericalSmiley:

I think my funniest stroller story is the one I posted a while back about Hunter and his "love" for a stroller. I'm prety sure I told it best the first time but essentially Hunter and I were visiting a new pet store and Hunter has always had a 'thing' for strollers - he really loves riding in them. He walked around and around the stroller and so I put him in it and gave him a ride. Then took him out and was talking to the owner and he MARKED the stroller tires! I was so embarrassed but the lady told me not to worry and that Hunter was just another 'satisfied customer' - how embarrassing!

Shortly after that, we ended up getting Hunter his own stroller and now he proudly rides in it when we go places it would not be safe for him to be on the ground.

Here's the link:
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/59-everything-else-maltese-related/101511-so-embarrassed.html
Erin, you communicate so well. I always feel like I'm right there when you tell a story. I read your post last night. Today, at work I just burst out giggling thinking of Hunter and the stroller. Also, the three of you....Hunter, you, and your red face waiting for hubby at the dr! :LOL:
Thank you Paula! :hugging:

Thanks Allie, you are so sweet!

No need for comedy central on your tv, you have us here at SM! :smrofl:
Pat, you crack me up!!! I'm just picturing cute little Ava doing this.:HistericalSmiley:

Bogie (and I) love his stroller. I really haven't had any negative comments. Mostly people are suprised to see a dog in a stroller. You really don't see that too much around here.

He also has a basket (and a couple of bags) that I use. The basket usually gets an, "awwww!" response. The smaller bag is nice to carry him in and he just sits and looks out. When he moves it surprises people because they don't think he is real. THEN they are surprised.:blink: I would think it would be more surprising to see a grown woman walking around carrying a stuffed animal!
You should tell people Bogie is just a stuffed animal. :HistericalSmiley:I bet people would actually believe you!

When I fly, I take Josey everywhere in her bag. In southern California, we dine alfresco with her by my side. All shops welcome her.

Locally, Home Depot, Verizon, Cabela's, my local car dealership when in for oil changes, my bank, and the mall allow her. But, I have her completely enclosed at the mall. So, nobody notices her. I also don't go near the food court when I have her along. (Cabela's is huge and actually allows pet owners to walk around with their dogs on leash. So, I plan to go there this winter when the weather gets cold. I was told each Home Depot is different with their pet policys. Some will allow you to walk them on leash in their store and others don't, just inquire with mgmt.) Hope that helps. :)

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all!

I was called a frustrated MOM becuase I have a stroller for my babe:wub::wub:s. I take them all out for a stroll around our neighborhood. I live in a very quiet area called the Hammocks and Arbour Courts so we have many trees. Last week Cappi and Max jumpred out of the stroller when they saw a squirrel and I just sat there and laughed. Once they fell they were so surprised that they had forgotten why they had jumped in the:w00t: first place. From now on, everyone will be tied up inside the stroller!
Mandy does that, too. When she's riding in the stroller, I have to grab her harness. Or, she will jump right out and start chasing squirrels, too. Crazy kids! :w00t:
I don't have a dog story about bags or strollers, but I do have one about my cat. My cat and I have been across the country and back a few times. Moving and such. Well, one of the times I had her with me, she chewed her way out of a soft-sided carrier. I had to run into the nearest town's Wal-mart and buy her a plastic kennel since I didn't want her roaming around the car on our trip.
Now, that's something. You should call your auto ins. co. and ask if that would be covered under your policy. :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

Yes, I can really recommend this, Sue! :LOL:

But I also have made some bad experiences with the stroller! Last time on the dog show I walked around Ullana sitting in her stroller. The halls were overcrowded and I felt happy to have her in the comfy stroller.
We met a couple and she said if the dog wouldn't have legs or forgot these ones at home and shaked her head!
Well, I answered that she has legs of course but couldn't walk here in the crowd because she's so tiny between all the other legs! But may be you forgot your brain at home :smilie_tischkante:!
My mom had to laugh because the lady looked at me totally speechless! But she talked so rude, I couldn't be quite in this moment! :angry:

The other story happened recently in our summer vacation! We walked around at the local weekly market, Ullana sitting in her stroller again.
I heard a man saying to his wife that we'd have a 'pretty' girl and that she would look like her dad with all her hair! :confused1:

Alexandra :wub:
Oh my gosh....good for you! That lady was rude! Yes, it's a complete safety issue in busy areas. :thumbsup:

I think a lot of where you can take your pups depends on where you live. Here in Raleigh, North Carolina we have very strict health laws that you cannot take them anywhere that food is and several malls around me also will not let you take a dog in (even in a bag or stroller) -service dogs are the exception. However, other cities and states have much more lenient laws. I was in Carmel, Ca recently and dogs were in restaurants, coffee shops, food markets, etc. So it all depends.....
Yes, I agree. Santa Barbara and Laguna Beach are very pet friendly. Josey can go virtually everywhere and on the beach. But, Huntington Beach will not allow her on the beach...not even in a bag. Or, I would get fined by the police I was told. (They have an actual dog beach where pet owners are to go only.)
I live in the midwest, which, isn't the most pet friendly area either. But, has improved over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Suzi..that story about the ladies mistaking Josey for a really hairy baby, is still making me LOL!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Even my husband (who is not a fan of SM or Maltese talk) laughed when I read it to him!! lol.

I agree Josey is actually cuter than a lot of skin babies that I"ve seen!!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
My best story happened on an airplane. I had one of my fluffs in a carrier under the seat. There were 2 girls (in mid-20s) sitting in front of me and travelling together.

My fluff hadn't made a pep during the entire flight. We landed and I picked up the bag and started talking to the fluff.

Finally the 2 girls asked me, "Do you have a dog in that bag?" I said, "yes". They then said, "Thank goodness. We thought maybe you had just had too much to drink and were talking to the bag."

LOL

·
Registered
198 Posts
That first story about the women who thought your baby was cute but had lots of hair... I repeated that story to my wife last night and we were both cracking up forever. That is really way too funny! :LOL:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts